Indians.....

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
211 Posts
Nov 20, 2014 9:20am
via Android

Why are most of the Indians narrow minded? For example:- Being a dancer isn't accepted. If u go and say that u are a dancer, people will ask you, what do you do as a profession not as a hobby. Why isn't dance considered a career? Why are dancers not considered intelligent? No offense Indians.. I'm an Indian too.

20 Nov
Follow your dreams . I m gonna be a painter too
22 Nov
I thought dancing was an Indian thing
Image_thumb
211 Posts
Nov 20, 2014 9:35am
via Android

Well, I love dancing. My parents stopped my dance classes. I can't afford them bcoz I don't earn anything. Its not expensive though. I'm 14 year old. My parents don't want me to be a dancer

Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
Nov 20, 2014 9:47am
via iOS
14 is very young. It's a very early stage in your life to decide on a career choice. Finish school and find your passion. Dancing won't bring a lot of money. Your parents want you to support them and dancing won't do it unfortunately. But you can do it in your spare time as a hobby not a career. Focus on a career that you like and you feel will make money. In this day and age, inflation is effecting everybody. Things won't get cheaper. You have to worry about yourself. Sorry for being hard but that's the reality
20 Nov
Ohk thanks ameer, but why isnt it considered good? My parents don't even to allow to do it as a hobby
20 Nov
Because the way our community is based, better put "nachnay walon ka ghar or marasi" that's what ppl normally say when they know about it and I am guessing your parents don't want that said about themselves or you for that matter my advice is build a solid education to fall back on if dancing doesn't work and start learning from YouTube in the meanwhile once you've got that down then show your passion to your family and hopefully they'll let you take classes then. There are a lot of ways to learn if you really want to, even Maradona...
20 Nov
It's depends on what religion or culture you follow. According to some culture it's bad. There are many philosophical reasons you can say it's bad from a religious point of view. But if you don't follow a certain religion them I suppose you have no reason to call it bad.
20 Nov
Ohk, thanks for the information raja and ameer.
21 Nov
Ameer, 14 isn't a young age to start. Almost all professional ballet dancer start at the of five or six
Image_thumb
327 Posts
Nov 20, 2014 11:04am
via Android

Yes because parents are looking for you to support them,in my experience they always want to know if you are earning more money,it seems to be tje way things work out there,girls being married off to wealthy guys who can also help the family,thank goodness Im English and I dance

20 Nov
Lucky you!
22 Nov
That makes no sense
22 Nov
I said lucky you because she is allowed to dance @ pinky!
22 Nov
Yeah I was addressing her not u Avani.lol
23 Nov
Ohk. And please leave a comment on the reply you posted on this post. I have commented as well.
Image_thumb
566 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 3:32am
via iOS
I don't get the subtle disapproval from my parents but some of the other aunties (parent's friends) give the subtle negative "oh" when i reply with my job title. I'm a part time scribe at a college. I love what I do. To the aunties, they boast oh my kid is getting into law school or medical school...I think to myself  good for them but it's their life. Never have once heard from their kid," i love what i do!" 
I don't get it, are you happy your kids found their calling or know what they want or you too busy bragging to see whose a better parent!?!?  It's like focus on your own family.

22 Nov
So damn true!
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 4:06am
via Android

If you're really that good nothing can stop you. Stop blaming your parents. Maybe they haven't seen that passion in you. I'm indian too. Honestly I haven't seen a single indian who can dance to the standards of some of the international shows like 'So you think you can dance'. Professional dancing isn't just shaking around.
I want to ask the same question another way around. Why are we not disciplined, dedicated and passionate enough to follow our dreams? 
If you are however stop making excuses and Prove yourself! 

22 Nov
I want to be a professional dancer and for that I need to be a probationer at danceworx or at least do the OYP at shiamak. There are Indians who can dance at international level. For example, elima hsiung who got selected as a company member at Alvin Ailey, virali parekh who has gone to Broadway dance center. And my parents have never come to see any of the shows for which I've performed.
22 Nov
If your parents don't come to your rehearsals that just sucks and that's hurtful. They can at least pretend to show some interest in your life. lol. Indian parents are narrow minded on so many fronts and its the parents here that need to grow up. lol. But from my point of view I think it's really amazing that you have thought of doing something out of the ordinary. Even if cant join danceworx right now keep practicing practicing and training. Get to a level where even they can't deny you :) Maybe you can start your own school some...
22 Nov
Lol okay, I'm not from Delhi, I'm from Mumbai, but you can always go to danceworx which is in Delhi. Thanks for the motivation though.
22 Nov
Have you heard about or gone to danceworx in Delhi??
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 8:25am
via Android

Hey carole that's not how things work in the Indian community. On the occasion money is involved in a marriage then it's the father of the bride paying huge amounts to the groom's family not the other way around. You make it sound like they sell their daughters which is pretty offensive if you ask me. There are some cultural differences and religious holds are also stronger in India most of which are enforced by the community, Christianity doesn't allow a lot of things for you English too so think before you disrespect a whole nation. We're here to workout not judge.. Happy lifting :)

22 Nov
Well yeah! I didn't notice that.
22 Nov
Im not disrespecting anything,I just said that parents are more focused on money,and alot of arranged marriages,this the second time you getting things wrong,I have also a few indian friends,religion does not control me btw
22 Nov
No they are it they are more focused on our well being and happiness and as they are human too they sometimes make mistakes by making our decisions for us. I never said you were controlled by anything. We are there childrens not their business projects which are being raised to earn money. Think about how downright disrespectful that would've been to think that of your parents. Good day
22 Nov
What does dancing have to do with arranged marriages? That's the only word we love to use whenever a topic about India comes around but does that even really fit in here
22 Nov
Well yeah! Raja is correct.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51