Truth or Hoax?

2 posts | Original | Recent
3 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 7:37am
via Android

Some people have been discouraging me to go and hit the gym. According to one of my friends, once you work with weights your muscles begin to contract and causes to prevent your height to increase.

How true is this?

I'm starting to worry because, I really want to tone my arms, legs and have a flat stomach before the prom but I also don't want my height to stop growing.

22 Nov
Dont worry this sounds complete nonsense,
22 Nov
Tbh I have heard if you're young eg under 18 and your doing intense weight lifting eg body building amount it can effect height. However I can't remember how reliable the source was that told me.
22 Nov
This is a myth. Most sport activity(baseball, football, soccer, basketball, etc) causes more stress to your bones, joints and muscles than working out with weights and stunted growth is not seen. Besides if you're talking about prom you're probably close to your skeletal maturity as most females will reach it by 14/15 years old. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you might not have much growing left anyways
821 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 3:22pm
via Android

Unless you're benching 400 lbs. I don't think you should worry about it stunning growth. My Lil brother is already taller than me he's 16 and can bench almost as much as me. Any it's pretty much a myth.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51