Need Help with my doubts

6 posts | Original | Recent

10612802_1476122049335167_430630750133251345_n_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 29, 2014 6:37am
via Android

Hey all,
I'm a newbie. I used to do pushups once in a while for the past few years but it was so irregular that i didn't get any benefit out of it. I'm now 18 years old

Yesterday, i joined the college gym. But we don't have a trainer at the gym. I went there yesterday and did alternating bicep curls with 12.5 kg dumbells in both hands. I was worried whether i was doing it the right way and i forgot to count the reps i did. Anyway i'm sure i did it about 20 times in the first round and few less in the second, third nd fourth. We are not allowed to use the machines for the first 10 days.
Today morning, i went and did the same again.

I have few doubts :
One of my friends told not to start directly with dumbells, rather start with pushups and pull ups. After that, i tried to lift myself on the pull up bar but was in vain.
1. Is there any point in my friend's advice? Should i stop using dumbells and start with pushups and pull ups?
2. Can anyone give me few tips so that i can lift myself on the pull up bar?

I have seen white marks on the body of many people who go to gym. I guess it is because of stretching of skin.
3. Hav anyone got the same condition? If so, how does it happen??
4. If it happens, then is it likely to dissapear as time passes?
5. Is there any way to prevent such marks appearing on the skin?

Another doubt is that which is better?
6. Doing more reps with less weight or doing less reps with more weight? How does it affect the body?

Image_thumb
520 Posts
Nov 29, 2014 7:27am
via Android

Firstly there might be some truth in your friends advice but that's the long road if you can do more than 20 pushups then you're ready to weight train. Don't train your arms every day as your muscles needs 24-48 hours to recover stronger hopefully with the help of a good diet and a killer workout. Pullups the wide ones are hard in the first month or so as they require good lats( back muscles) you should be able to do the closed grips one though. High weight low reps are to gain mass (hypertrophy) slightly lower weight high reps is for toning or shape. You should at least do 24 curls 12 on each arm and preferably do them on an incline bench that way it takes the momentum out the picture. Take 2-4 seconds raising the dumbbell while in perfect control pause at the top for a second and lower it the same way. Happy lifting and Google most of your concerns or post here.

10612802_1476122049335167_430630750133251345_n_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 29, 2014 7:44am
via Android

Thanks Raja
What do u think abt the white marks on the body??

30 Nov
I've no idea about them other than the knowledge of their name lol sorry
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 2:28am
via Android

Weight training does not produce white marks or stretch marks. I have been going to gyms for years and have not seen the white marks you are talking about.

30 Nov
I had seen that many times mostly on the back near shoulder muscles
Loghain_de_pacquet_thumb
61 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 3:27am
via Android

Not sure about these white marks either... you're not confusing these with residue from the chalk people use to make sure their hands dont slip on the pull-up bars, weight-lifting eqipment, etc?

30 Nov
No its called stretch marks
Loghain_de_pacquet_thumb
61 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 4:13am
via Android

So these marks are mostly on people's backs across their shoulder muscles? Do they also have them on the chest, across the pectoral area? Are they straight lines, and if multiples parallel to each other? Also about 2cm wide?

14 Dec
Yes, exactly

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51