Depression/Anxiety & fitness?

15 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 6:12am
via Android

Anybody deal with depression/anxiety? A couple of years ago I dropped ~40 lbs, and then some life stuff happened. Long story short, my anxiety and depression sky rocketed out of control, and I wound up gaining it all back.
Sometimes its all I can do to get out of bed anymore let alone workout.
My anxieties had gotten to the point where I couldnt use the oven, dryer, or sleep. But, I've been managing some things better.

01 Dec
Hi! I know this may sound kind of crazy but honestly by eating all the right kinds of foods and getting proper nutrients could really help you improve all of your symptoms, I've struggled with anxiety/depression off and on for a while now and I am a strong believer that food is medicine. I got to a point where I was struggling making it through my day and I finally went to go see someone and I found out I was gluten intolerant and had developed a lot of allergies to various foods. A lot of times it's the...
01 Dec
Its not that crazy, I believe what we eat can have a huge impact on how we feel besides physically. I know I feel better when I eat better. :)
Image_thumb
40 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 6:52am
via Android

I've been dealing with anxiety for 8 years now......got a grip on it after the 1st year, now just every so often. If you don't mind me asking, are you seeing a therapist? It's all mental & I highly recommend meditation. Working out will def help as well. I'm going to bed now, but would love to talk to you more about this soon. Let me know if that's ok. :)

30 Nov
I honestly cant afford a therapist with my insurance. I've noticed that I feel loads better after I workout in both departments, its just getting there that's really hard. I'm paranoid I won't hear something. My PCP had me on lexapro & buspar, but those just made me more like a zombie than anything. I've switchex to a more natural way with herbs that are working a lot better so far..
Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 11:50am
via iOS
I've been through that for about a year now. I found relief in exercise and getting out of the house. Talking to new people, discovering nature. It all helps. The more I stayed away from my phone the better I felt. The best thing to do is find out what you love doing, then do it. Learning is also a great way of recovering. I love space, and I've been taking an online astronomy course, I've been so occupied with it that I've recovered tremendously over the past month. Ive realized that pain and hardship is a part of life and it's these downhills that make us stronger. So you must be yourself and spend time with people you love. Your mind will have no choice but to recover. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. Hope you recover soon
30 Nov
Thank you :) Its just hard to do any of that anymore. I'm in school for something I use to love - graphic design and illustration. But I cant even sit down and enjoy that anymore, I've just lost interest in anything I use to love.
30 Nov
That's normal at the climax of depression but your mind will reach that anti climax eventually. Nobody stays depressed their entire life. Get out into nature. Make time. The last thing you want to do is continue with your daily routine. Make time to meditate Atleast. Or if you can't go out invite one of your good friends over and spend some time with them. Do something. But remember that hardship will eventually pass. I know the pain is always persistent but it will fade of for sure. It's just a matter of time.
30 Nov
Why don't you make illustrated posters in your spare time? There are plenty apps.. And you can print them and frame it at home, that's a good idea.
30 Nov
I guess I could try just sitting down and forcing myself to make something a few more times. I'm just never inspired by anything anymore. I've been trying to get outside more. I've got a shiny new crossbow I need to practice with. I feel like Im at the very end of this 'climax'. Its just taking a while.
30 Nov
Cool. Set targets in the yard and have some fun. Get creative as well. If you like comedies then you should watch a series. Make goals. Example completing the 1 season of a certain comedy in one month. It'll fade of don't worry. It's a part of life that never lasts. So don't let it get you down
Image_thumb
40 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 5:34pm
via Android

Good Morn......well, afternoon maybe?? Lol. Ok, Lexapro can make you gain, can't remember the other you mentioned, but I'm glad ur not taking either. I've been on xannex & Suboxone for almost 8 years now. I understand about not being able to afford therapy, even with insurance. I think this is a great place for you......& I've only been active maybe a week. There are some very helpful ppl here, & as for getting some exercise, you can't beat a 7, 10, or 20 min workout. Heck, 4 mins will make you feel better. This app gives you so many choices it's unreal. And Ameer(did I spell his name right?) gave you some great tips. When I was deep in my depression yrs ago, I didn't want to do any of the things he suggested, but I know once I started, they helped. I met a girl in the grocery store, she invited me to lunch & after the 5th invite, lol, I went. I've been friends with her for 6 years this month & feel if it wasn't for her, I would've been depressed a lot longer. I don't know your age, if you have a spouse, kids, etc.....BUT if you're willing to let me help you, I will do my best. One thing I found that really held me back with massive panic attacks & depression......researching my problems online!!!! So if you get on those forums or look up stuff it can either have a good effect or bad......bad for me. I've learned a lot about meditation and it amazes me how much it helps with my mood, being with my kids, being productive, etc. So if you'd like me to help, give you some helpful tips, or just be someone to talk to, let me know.

01 Dec
Aw, you're so nice. The people using this app have been too, I'm really surprised. I'd love to be able to talk to somebody about it. I'm only 20, but I live with my boyfriend (more like common-law tbh). I've wanted to try meditation, I've read some about it here and there. I just...dont know how to "get started".
01 Dec
Katiedid C.......I knew nothing about meditation either. My Dr turned the lights off, put music on, told us to close our eyes, focus on our breathing, & let the thoughts flow. 15 mins later he turned the lights on & asked what we thought about......at the same time, my husband and I said, "Nothing".....we were happy to know we did it right. So now I go to YouTube every day & pull up 3 hours long Tibetan Singing Bowls meditation, lay down, close my eyes & focus strictly on my breathing ONLY. Not sure what your schedule looks like, but...
Image_thumb
36 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 8:20pm
via Android

I recently been diagnosed with depression a couple months ago. I already knew I was. My weight has jumped up and down the past 3 years. I'm not on medication for it, but I sleep none stop, and when I decided to try to do a workout I push myself the rest of the way to do it. At the end of the workout I feel amazing, wouldn't even know I was depressed. Since I've been working out I've felt a lot better about myself and my surroundings. If you ever need someone to talk to or to help push you, you can always message me. You just have to push yourself. Good luck darlinn!

Image_thumb
40 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 8:25pm
via Android

Fight or flight method....you're like me. I would shut down as well. But now I do these mini workouts, before the app I would do squats, crunches, lunges, etc & that would help as well. I have faith that everyone fighting the depression battle will come thru it just fine. Don't let your mind control you.....YOU CONTROL YOUR MIND. You got this!!!!

01 Dec
Thats so much easier said than done but thank you for the motivation! That's the mindset I want to have!
01 Dec
Thats a real positive post,hopefully it can help x
Image_thumb
222 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 12:05am
via Android

I've been dealing with depression for about 15 yrs. Didn't realize what it was until I got diagnosed 3 years ago.

It can be very difficult to deal with and can definitely hamper your fitness goals. I've found that winters are worst because of the holidays and shorter days.

Some people do drugs or alcohol or sex I binge on sweets. It has been better as of late because I do much more reading and make a greater effort to get outside to walk or run.

Exercise is really great for releasing natural endorphins that help improve mood.

01 Dec
I've decided to try the "getting outside" more. Its beautiful around here. Just gotta make aure you're not on somebody's hunting club land lol.
Image_thumb
327 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 1:13am
via Android

Exercise really helps with depression,if you see a good therapist and try and find the root of the problem then hopefully things will get better,Ive suffered with ptsd and Ive helped alot of people through it,inbox me if you or anyone needs a chat xxxx

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 4:07am
via Android

I have had depression issues since I was a young teen, didn't start working out until about a month ago and I'm 27 now, I haven't felt this good in my entire life to be honest. I didn't want to get out of bed or go to work or do anything except drink alcohol and be lazy... I have since cut all that out and I feel fantastic everytime I work out it just puts a smile on my face and a spring in my step!!

01 Dec
Great!!
01 Dec
That's so awesome! It's amazing how exercise can change your way of thinking & feeling. Sounds like you're on the tight track. And as we know........it's best to make new paths in our mind, rather than continuing to go back down old ones.
Image_thumb
327 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 10:19am
via Android

My friend has always had depression and its always been the same,hes not always acting sad but feels a black clouds always with him snd nothing changes,I think hes clinic depression,can anyone relate to this,Id like to help him but cant

01 Dec
If your friend has Facebook, have him......& I suggest all look him up, search "D Ivan Young". He is the one helping me. He's a great life coach & psychologist known all around the world. He has a Blogtalk radio show 2 times a week, & you can pull all archives. He taught me how to meditate & it's amazing how much easier it is to be motivated, have a positive attitude & outlook, & it's Def something that has given me the desire to workout again. I hope your friend gets the help he needs, as well as everyone...
Image_thumb
40 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 12:10pm
via Android

I see there's another post labeled "Do you workout when depressed " I think you'll see that working out can be a huge help. I'm like those on the post.....being upset makes me push harder. I think you found a great starting point. You're so young......you have a whole wonderful life ahead of you......live it up!!!

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 12:51pm

Oh there's no doubt it helps! I know several of the benefits of exercise/working out, and I know one to be the release of endorphins - which makes you happy! I've just been in the climax of my depression I guess ; sleeping when I can, barely getting by in school (even though I'm going for what I love), etc. I was just curious how others dealt with it, and pushed forward. The thought of working out in the morning sometimes is like the thought of climbing Everest when I can't even get out of bed. P:

When I shed those 40lbs the first time, I had some border-line ptsd issues (I say borderline because I never went to a doctor about it, never diagnosed, just did extensive research). I wasn't dealing with what I am now by any means. I think the 'ptsd' has kind of turned into a 'moderate (sometimes severe) general anxiety' type condition.

01 Dec
Trust me, I know what you mean. I do best working out in the morning, but it's a struggle without knowing I have a trainer expecting me to show up at 9am......so today I'm starting the 30 Day HIIT Challenge that a post was made for. My youngest leaves for school shortly, then I'm going to make it happen......bangin headache, sore throat and all. Ugh....but YAY!!!! Umm, that's me being positive, lol. :)
01 Dec
Bangin headache? High-five! I get them daily! I have cysts on my sinuses though. :P I just did two of the workouts on here, totally pushed through. Feel pretty amazing. Still have a headache, but feel pretty awesome.
Image_thumb
117 Posts
Dec 1, 2014 7:52pm
via Android

I have panic disorder so instead of just being anxious I get full blown panic attacks constantly and add depression and insomnia into that too and I'm a wreck only time I'm good is when I'm working out. the harder I workout and the louder I have music on the better I feel. add me try some of my workouts they may help. but I sleep better now with meds.

Image_thumb
327 Posts
Dec 12, 2014 12:31pm
via Android

I feel alot of panic when I have stress around me,Ive suffred with ptsd this year,wonder if i will ever feel ok

Image_thumb
327 Posts
Dec 12, 2014 7:34pm
via Android

How are you all today?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51