How do I tone my calves without making them look bigger?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 18, 2015 7:15pm
via Android

I have chubby calves with no muscle in that area (I just started going to the gym this year). Which exercises can I do to make them more defined without becoming too bulky?

19 Jan
I have a bad habit of walking on my tip toes, but I have never had a problem there, try that?
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jan 18, 2015 8:08pm
via Android

Trust me when I say this. Give your calves hell. They are so hard to get big. I hit calves with weighted workouts and non weighted workouts. Both with a lot of reps. I've been doing this consistent for a year and they are still not big. There is muscle definition but not big.

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 18, 2015 8:43pm
via Android

Hey, I am a personal trainer and I've seen and heard all the tips and facts. Truth is, there are so many different exercises these days it's hard to know what to do for a specific goal. Calves are great muscles to have toned though and here are 3 great methods to sculpting the great calves.

1. Standing Calf Raise.
Hold weights in your hands or use a barbell on your shoulders, find the perfect weight to only be able to do 20-30 reps, as that becomes easy, bump up the weight to keep those reps solid. For standing Calf Raise, think Basketball Player Calves, toned but not bulky, they are standing when they do their calf raise to shoot the ball, so same deal!

2. Seated Calf Raise.
Sit and use a machine at your gym or weights on your end thighs (bit on your knees, ouch). When your legs are bent and you do the calf raise motion, you use the Soleus muscle group which is under the Calf Muscles, this muscle bulkes a lot and will make the calf come out more. Think football player now, they start each play at a bent leg position and press of like a seated calf raise, bulk not tone.

3. Jump rope barefoot, it's the same as soft sand running!!

Good luck!

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 18, 2015 8:44pm
via Android

Thank you!

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 18, 2015 10:15pm
via Android

I've done many of these exercises over the years but didn't know exactly what each one did.  Thank you for clarifying.  My calves are fat at the top so thinking the basketball and runner exercises are best to tone those down.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51