Track

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
39 Posts
Jan 19, 2015 8:35pm
via Android

Hello everyone, I was wondering if Anyone had any tips on Track. (I've been running but I'm on the road to getting shin splints so doc said no running for at least 1-2 weeks) It's gonna be my first time in Track and I'm very excited. Wanted to know if anyone who's been in it, coached, or anything have any tips for me (what can help me etc) I'm gonna try out for every activity to see what I can do. Practise is on the 26th. Thank you for the help.

19 Jan
Well I never had shin splints but I hav done track and it's very fun! Hav fun at ur track practice!
19 Jan
Thanks. Glad to hear it is.
19 Jan
I di track wen I was In eighth grade and I'm going to do it again.
19 Jan
Did sorry!
Image_thumb
114 Posts
Jan 20, 2015 1:58am
via iOS
I ran track and cross country all through high school, and have done some huge trail runs over the past two years.  Just did a half marathon in November.  I have dealt with shin splints.  They can come from wearing the wrong type of shoe, over-pronation, sudden increase in mileage, running on uneven surface or hard surfaces.  The only thing you can do to get rid of them is to stop running for a bit to let them heal.  However, you can still workout.  Plyometric workouts are great for runners.  In fact you can get away with less miles if you add Plyometric workouts into the mix.  Here's one that might help: Plyometric Precision (for Improved Running Performance)

Other tricks: 1) purchase compression socks/sleeves that cover your calves and shins.  They can reduce the pain while running. 2) go to a running shoe store that can test your stride to fit you with the proper running shoe. 3) ice your shins right after running.
20 Jan
I think I'm going to do all that thanks. Also, yeah I think it's because of my shoes, running up and down hill, as well as lack of stretching. I'm going to buy better shoes with arches, since doc said my feet are almost flat and my arches are small.
20 Jan
Also, I will try and start that workout. Thanks
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Jan 20, 2015 2:36am
via Android

Dude I've had shin splints before and I get your pain. Great new is you can help ease it. Shin splints are predominantly caused by weak tibia muscles and tight and stronger calves. The key is lots of stretching and get someone who knows a bit about massage therapy to, while you're lying face down and toes pointed, put pressure with the elbow (not the point but the flat) in the v just below the gastrocnemius and push in and up towards the knee and placing slight pressure with the point as they push up towards your knee.

With 100m sprints, and this is going back a few years for my knowledge now, stay low and keep your stride wide for the first 30 meters. As you hit pull pace start to bring your body up and straighten out your stride and drive hard with your quads and keep a strong dorsiflexion in the foot. You shouldn't really start breathing until about the 50m mark.
200m is essentially very similar but you want to pace yourself a bit more out of the blocks and save yourself for the last 100m where most will be too exhausted to catch up. The last 100m of the longer races is where most people are spent, you want to be the opposite.

20 Jan
I forgot to mention you're gonna be screaming when someone presses on your calf there to. It's gonna be painful but keep breathing deep and push through it, it gets better
20 Jan
Oh gosh ha thanks man. Yeah I'm not very good at stretching. That's probably 1 reason why I'm grtting shin splints. Wow I'll try that and tell my coach.
20 Jan
Oh and sorry I wasn't calling you a dude, it just bought back memories of pain when I read your post about splints. Should've read and thought about that a bit more haha

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51