Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 2:51am
via iOS
Why do you want to get healthy?
Why do you lack motivation?
Why do you quit?
Why does it matter?
Why do you take advice from someone you don't know?
Why do you start?
Why do you stop?!
THINK.
Until you understand WHY you are doing something, and WHY you want to, you will never understand WHY you quit.

MOTIVATION cannot be given... It cannot be taken
MOTIVATION is what drives YOU, and is different to what drives ME
If you lack it you need to understand WHY. It isn't in a quote, it's not in a picture, it's inside YOU.
Sit down.. Think.. Try to understand... Focus

(And no I've not been drinking!)
- based on the theories of Simon Sinek
21 Jan
Excellent!
21 Jan
Very true
22 Jan
Awesome advice!
22 Jan
Fantastic advice! That's what motivation is all about and no one can give it you long term. My why started a long time ago and now has become much more than that now as it has transformed who I am...not just the physical. Good luck everyone :)
15 Mar
That is very true :-)
Icon_missing_thumb
25 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 2:56am
via Android

Well put. More people need to see this and understand. I love seeing others who have an understanding more for themselves than of what is being pressured by TV, people, etc. I was a victim of that but for the past year I come to just love myself and do it for ME!

21 Jan
Well done Melissa. It pains me to hear someone say "I'm doing it for the girls" or "My boyfriend wants me smaller". The main focus is health and self mastery. Understanding your motives. Until people realize this they will never be their best.
19 Mar
I started because at the age of 24 I really don't know who am I... This and making art is an amazing way to understand yourself and to let off some stress... Hope to find some answer in the future!
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 3:12am
via iOS
Thank you Melissa,
Sinek's theories form part of the leadership & behavioral development programs I ran. 

From a fitness perspective I strongly believe until you really understand why you want something you'll always fail.

You can watch as many motivational videos as you like, that's just to get your ass off the couch. It's the driving desire inside you that keeps you off that couch. 
Don't ask someone else for it!! DEMAND it from yourself !!!! 
21 Jan
Exactly!!! That is very true. You, and only you have control of you. That's the beauty of having yourself and your mind.
21 Jan
Well put Scotty, Well put.
21 Jan
Thank you Ra
Image_thumb
202 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 5:32am
via Android

Excellent call Scotty. I hope the targeted audience read this, realise its talking to them, pull their collective fingers out and start getting stuck into it. Well done mate.

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 6:05pm
via iOS
Thanks Duncan, in my career I've never been a fan of the "TELL" style of motivating people. My teams were successful because I helped them understand what truly motivated them & what they needed to do to be successful.

I always used to use the following example.....
For years I got given bottles of wine or champagne as 'rewards' for doing well in something to "motivate" me.
Not once did anyone ask me if I drank wine or champagne!!!
I DON'T! 
Everyone has their own motivation 
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 3:03am
via iOS
ASK YOURSELF THE 5 'WHY'S'

WHY do you want to workout?
WHY is that important to you?
WHY do you stop?
WHY will this time be different?
WHY will you succeed? 

Image_thumb
612 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 9:06am
via Android

My reasons...

To feel and BE healthy
To look great (for my wife)
To set a positive example for my children
To find my limits and push through

22 Jan
The example to my kids being the most important by far
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 2:54pm
via iOS
Thanks for sharing Alan. 
I'd played with the idea of getting healthy again for over 10 years but always failed to stick to it. 
It wasn't until I really sat down and thought about WHY I wanted to be healthy again that I began to make working out a fundamental part of my day & it has been ever since.

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 3:46pm
via Android

Great advice! My motivation is my 3 beautiful kids and my husband. I know if I stop now,  my husband will kick my butt lol.  I'm so proud of myself that I have been doing it for almost 5 months now. I know, nobody will do it for me but myself.

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 5:13pm

Having someone to kick your ass if you begin to slack is always an added bonus!

I keep asking Skimble to get some new voiceovers.. Mr T style!

Can you imagine doing a workout and beginning to get tired when all of a sudden Skimble shouts "What you slacking for fool?!?! Get your lazy ass moving!!!"

(I'd love that!)  

23 Jan
Yeah mate, that,d be cool.
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 6:00pm
via Android

It is a bonus. Just like when I first started, my husband said to me, I don't think u will do it for 6 weeks. I just tell him,  u will be eating ur words lol. 5 months later,  my husband said to me that u have been going to far now, u just can't stop. Right now,  I don't even think I just do it.

Just like in real life, nothing is giving to u. U have to earn it.

With Mr. T style,  I will love it to have another voice scream at me when I'm  slacking off (it does not mean I don't have enough voices scream at me at home already).

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 23, 2015 6:22am
via Android

Thanks for the advice

Image_thumb
202 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 9:13am
via Android

My why, this year, is to gradually get back into it, from my forced non-working out of November and December, and to get my proper, trim, taught body back. I've got some 10-15 pounds to get rid of. One of the ways I'm doing this, is since the 12th of January, I,m on a beer-fast for 100 days. Not line drop will pass these lips in that time. 10 days in, and going strong. I,m also trying to cut down on eating crap. (Not that I do much anyway,but I love chips, munchy-biscuits, etc with beer). Why, coz not only am I going to get my abs back, I'm going to get hell fitter, and kill TM again this year. Thanks .

26 Jan
Good luck with the beer Duncan! I hadn't had a drink for 4 weeks up to last night when I had a beer in the knowledge that I won't be drinking through February/March coz I'll be bulking then shredding. Already got my workout programs sorted : )
05 Feb
Thanks a lot Scotty. Your dedication is inspirational mate. I only find the first few days the hardest of beer-fast. So far, been 25 days, and all is going well and beer-free. Keep up the great work bro.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Mar 15, 2015 6:33am
via iOS
Bumping this back up
Image_thumb
269 Posts
Mar 18, 2015 7:31pm
via iOS
I'll bump it up. I like this post.
Image_thumb
269 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 2:34am
via iOS
Ok, my 'Whys'
I want to workout because I'm too close to retirement from the military to get kicked out on a technicality(according to them, I'm about 46 lbs overweight). I wanna work out so my kids have a healthy mom. It's important because I want to be a good example, and have the energy to continue. I stopped before because I had no idea I could motivate myself. 
It's different this time because I found the will inside of me and dug it out! I'll succeed this time because I enjoy the energy I have after a good workout. And I want that, 'Holy crap you got hot!' 
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 7:33am
via Android

My motivation: me, me and me. This is something I do entirely for my own wellbeing and not for anyone else. It's alone time. It's getting rid of all that energy that builds up inside me and makes me feel restless and anxious. It's the satisfaction of having used my body for what it's made for. It's the curiosity to see what I can do, how far I can go. Along the way, it's developed on its own into a journey instead of just a habit.

The looking good part and the healthy eating has come as a very pleasant bonus. But I don't want to put too much focus on that.

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 2:17pm
via Android

1.) I want to look good and feel good.

2.) It is important to me because I want to be  this person I can rely on, person that does what needs to be done. Because putting energy into something is fighting against chaos and  a way of saying "I am..I exist and I have a little peace of universe under my control."

3.) I stop because I'm lazy, and because I'm I guess scared of change. Also idea of looking and feeling great, and putting workout as a prio in my day feels somehow selfish and egocentric, I quess I'm scared that I would end up lonely because of it.

4.) It is going to be different because I failed enough times to be able to recognize my week sides and my bad habits, especially my irational beliefs like 3rd.

5.) I'm going to succed because I will keep trying,because I'm not doing this for a month or a year, but for all life, I don't want to be a cauch potato and I'll keep returning back every time I slip.

Image_thumb
202 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 11:00pm
via Android

Update,
Calendar alarm just went off to tell me it is 100 days. That is 100 days of no beer or wine and hardly any crap food.
Results? Lost about 4kg, most of love handles, got abs back, feel hell fitter and sleeping untold better. Got to be on a winner.

21 Apr
100 days?!? Screw that could I be that committed!! I'd kick the crap outta someone I'd be so cranky. Goodonya mate!!! Awesome achievement
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jul 15, 2016 8:16pm

Boosting this for the Summer bod crowd and because I'm gonna use it at one of our meetings : ) 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51