WHICH 'MORPH' ARE YOU??

52 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 5, 2015 9:09pm

The human body can be broken into three distinct body types, ectomorphs, endomorphs, and mesomorphs. Everyone falls into one of these three categories. Your body type is the hand in which you were dealt, what you do with it is completely up to you. Some were born lean, some were born fat, but all were born with the ability to shape their body.

Genetics determines what type of body we have, but don’t let genetics have the final say. There are things you can do to fight back.

The same kind of training will not work for every body type. Just as different trees require differing amounts of water and sunlight, differing body types require different stimuli in different amounts. No one program can effectively train all three body types. Some people need lower reps, and more rest, while others need higher reps and shorter rest periods. It all depends on you and your body.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT BODY TYPES?

Ectomorph: These are your run of the mill “skinny guys.” Ectomorphs have small frames, small shoulders, flat chests, and very lean frames. They are your classic “hardgainer” and find it difficult to put on mass.

Mesomorph: These are your naturally “athletic” looking dudes. Mesomorphs have broad shoulders, lots of muscle mass, and are relatively lean and gain muscle easily.

Endomorph: Endomorphs are generally short and round. The have a slow metabolism and generally find it hard to shed fat. They gain weight easily, unfortunately, this comes in the form of fat more often than not.

ECTOMORPH

Ectomorphs need big, compound movements as their bread and butter.

High rep work is best. Because of the higher percentage of slow-twitch muscle fiber, the ectomorph can do more reps at relative intensities than other body types.

Longer rest periods between sets (3-5 min)

More frequent workouts. Because they recover faster, the ectomorph needs to work out more than the other body types.

Ectomorphs can even get away with 3-4 full-body workouts a week.

Avoid cardio

Diet is extremely important! Eat, eat, eat… then eat some more!

MESOMORPH

This is the most coveted body type. Depending on your goals, lots of different training methods will help you see results.

Compound movements should be the base of your training.

Isolation movements will help to bring up any lagging body parts.

Utilize different training methodologies. High intensity, low intensity, high volume, low volume, explosive reps, tempo sets, short rest intervals, long rest intervals.

A 3-4 day a week split should suffice. Break up the workouts to focus on certain body parts each day (ex. Monday-bench, chest, shoulders. Tuesday-squat, quads, hamstrings, glutes. Etc.)

Mix in some cardio (or circuit training) to keep off any fat. Mesomorphs gain muscle quickly but also have a propensity to gain fat.

ENDOMORPH

Compound movements are the base for an endomorph's program.

Circuit training is ideal for endomorphs. Pick 3-5 exercises and go through each one with no rest between exercises. Rest 2 minutes between circuits.

HIIT is very important to aid in fat loss.

Diet is crucial to the endomorph. Minimize the carbs and choose fats wisely.

No matter what body type you have now, with a little planning and a whole lot of hard work, you can create the body you want.

JUST A BIT OF LIGHT READING FROM YOUR FREINDLY SKIMBLER

05 Feb
Thank you Mihaela for stimulating my brain on this subject again
06 Feb
I am a mix between a mesomorph and an endomorph at 170lbs, 5'11" any tips for excercises or that range?
06 Feb
Haha! Thank YOU, Scotty :))) ^^
06 Feb
Scotty what is HIIT?
06 Feb
Hi Kerry, it stands for High Intensity Interval Training - short bursts of intense cardio. An example would be sprints, 20 seconds sprinting & 10 seconds resting performed for around 6-8 times. A lot of research has proved that it's effective for burning calories without wasting muscle mass. In fact some forms of HIIT can improve muscle - sprints for example help build muscle in the legs
Image_thumb
171 Posts
Feb 5, 2015 9:47pm
via Android

Interesting, but is there really any science behind this?

05 Feb
Yes, there is actually lots of studies about trying for your body types. I remember reading some of it in my grandpa's old fitness books.
06 Feb
It's deep in science Silje, I only put scientific, proven info on here from reputable sites
Image_thumb
612 Posts
Feb 5, 2015 10:04pm
via Android

I am an absolute Mesomorph.  Big results from moderate effort.  That's not to say i dont strive to improve. 
I have the utmost respect for endo and ecto body types that manage to change in spite of their genetics.  Their results are far more impressive than any i may achieve as they are that much harder to gain. 

06 Feb
I'm an old meso that's been lazy the past year, having a hard time motivating. So I hope this app helps!
Image_thumb
26 Posts
Feb 5, 2015 11:11pm
via Android

Ectomorph here!!!!

15 Mar
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 5, 2015 11:25pm
via Android

Okay so I'm new today and looking at this, I'm an endomorph

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 1:54am
via iOS
I'm pleased so many skimblers are looking at this topic. I use my body type to determine my workout programs and have been happy with the results so far 
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 2:26am
via Android

I'm a definite endomorph. I have to be absolutely disciplined to combat the natural tendencies of my body. It's more than worth it though.

06 Feb
I lose the battle from time to time
06 Feb
I know exactly what you mean. #thestruggle
06 Feb
True endomorph here also! I only have to have a quick look on the menu to gain one pound! We have to fight though!
Image_thumb
138 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 2:41am
via Android

Ectomorph

Image_thumb
25 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 5:36am
via Android

Hey! Do these categories apply equally to men and women? I wouldn't know honestly which category I would fall into...

06 Feb
Of course they apply to both men and women, Shew :) There's a lot of info on this argument: type it in Google and you'll find an on line test too ^^
06 Feb
Looking at your photos I'd guess you were a Mesomorph mostly Shew coz of the definition in your shoulders
Loghain_de_pacquet_thumb
61 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 6:22am
via Android

Definately an Endomorph here... and my work schedule over the past couple of weeks (all 12 hour graveyard shifts) hasn't been helping...

06 Feb
Hope that schedule lessens! I'd go insane
Image_thumb
223 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 6:51am
via iOS
Ectomorph,I was born with a lot of muscle mass and I am always active.
Image_thumb
223 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 6:52am
via iOS
Sry meant mesomorph.
06 Feb
Enjoy it!
06 Feb
Thank u.
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 7:11am
via Android

Most part endomorph, small part mesomorph. Building muscle and stamina comes quite easy to me, but the muscles are hidden under a thick layer of insulation. I have the mesomorph's more delicate bone structure and the endomorph's short limbs. I need to stick 100% to a proper diet to lose any weight at all and even then the weight-loss is reeeally slow which of course is discouraging.

06 Feb
I've been reading so much about it for the past few days and find it really interesting! Thanks Scotty and Mihaela for bringing up the subject!
06 Feb
Indeed, very interesting and helpful! I'm glad Scotty started this topic offering us a perfect summary and an input for those who want to optimise their training and results ^^
06 Feb
You're welcome Anna! I love researching fitness theories and was chatting with Mihaela about it
12 Feb
I'm in the same boat! I can work out daily, eat right, get strong and gain muscle... and I feel great but then I look in the mirror and go "dangit!" All that fluffy insulation. Lol
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 9:22am
via Android

Im mostly endomorph but im slightly mesomorph too cause i gain muscle mass really easily

06 Feb
Same body type as me and they look very similar too! You've done some great work the past two months! I'm just starting to see progress after beginning to take diet seriously.
06 Feb
I've only started getting serious because i want to be an engineer for the RAF so need to be fit and healthy
06 Feb
I saw your latest photo Caroline, you're doing great!!
06 Feb
Thank you scotty!
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 9:39am
via Android

I'm an Ectomorph stuck in a Endomorph's body but hoping to be an Mesomorph...so what does that make me?

06 Feb
Split personality? :D
06 Feb
I got a headache just reading that Matt!
Image_thumb
252 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 9:59am
via Android

Thanks for the information. Im going to do some research myself. Is this more for men body types though? Thanks again

06 Feb
It's general for both men and women. I found some great posts that were more aimed towards women by googling.
06 Feb
Thanks!! I'll Google!
06 Feb
Yeah, it applies to both. It's a good starting point for helping to understand what kinda workouts you should do. Hope it helps, google is a wonderful thing!
Image_thumb
56 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 12:47pm
via iOS
I'm a mixture of ectomorph, a bit of mesomorph and mostly gynoid lol
Image_thumb
215 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 4:47pm

Ectomorph - lol I just read about this few days ago and find myself fitting so perfect in it.

Usually nobody is 100% just this or that, but we all are more into one of these three.

Scotty, I just have one "problem" with your tipps: I love running and cardio lol... I even start on 10km events and half-marathons.

06 Feb
Just keep running Heiko!
07 Feb
I do Scotty:) I just knownow why it's so hard for me to gain more muscles and get a 6-pack. But I'm happy with what I've reached so far (fat in about 11%) and know, I may eat little more lol
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 4:55pm
via iOS
I'm an Endo/Mesomorph - I had my body composition 'assessed' back in Nov 2012. I can gain weight very fast around my mid-section but I'm fortunate in that I can put muscle on relatively quickly, particularly my arms. 
Unfortunately achieving a six-pack has become my kryptonite! I'll be giving it another shot this spring/summer though. I got down to 10.5% and they still didn't show so after I'm done bulking this month I'll be shooting for 8% by June/July
Image_thumb
53 Posts
Feb 6, 2015 4:59pm
via Android

Ectomorph here! Any workout suggestions? I'm running 3 of the programs at once right now, 2 for building muscle and 1 yoga one for flexibility

06 Feb
If you wanna bulk up you've gotta be careful about doing too much cardio. Short, intense HIIT workouts are ideal for you as it can also build muscle. For the majority of Ecto's is mainly how much food you eat, and how clean/healthy it is.
06 Feb
I'm eating 5 meals a day, not extremely healthy ones, but it definitely isn't junk food, I also eat white meats whenever we have any in the house...plus protein shakes all the time.
06 Feb
See how you get on with the programs you're running. The bulking diet I'm on right now has me taking in 4000 calories a day. If you check my other topic "FEBRUARY - BULKING DIARY" it has the meal plans in which will give you an idea of what to eat. Eggs need to become your best friend! I'm eating 8 egg whites and 3 eggs for breakfast right now
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 7, 2015 8:56am
via Android

Hi Scotty, could you give an example for a good workout for an endomorph? I've done a lot of googling but I'm not sure about exactly what would be the best. Circuit training with weighted compound movements or weighted compound movements PLUS bodyweight circuit training?
What I've read so far is that muscle building is the most important for endomorph's, to boost metabolism. What's your opinion?

07 Feb
I'm thinking at home-workouts with dumbbells, barbell, fitness ball, whatever.
07 Feb
I must be mesomorph because im not skinny like ectomorph and I have a good metabolism & can lose weight quick, so not a endomorph . Please any workouts u recommend for me? Thanks in advanced!! Hope i spelled them all right! Smart phone was acting dumb. Didn't help at all!
Image_thumb
155 Posts
Feb 7, 2015 1:50pm
via Android

I'm a little bit of all!! JK! I used to be thin until I got married... but I'm naturally husky so I'll never be very thin!

07 Feb
Uh oh!! I only got married 3 weeks ago and we've not stopped eating crap ever since! Lol
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 7, 2015 4:16pm
via iOS
@Anna, over the months last year and the year before I tried different circuit training methods. The ones that work for me have been:
There's 4 of these workouts and they're based on the circuit training methods by BJ Gaddour - they're intense, burn calories like crazy & leave you a sweaty mess! 
There's 5 of these based on Craig Capurso's 30 day shred program - these need a gym
There's 4 of these, plus a warm-up - these are my own design
No workout was more important than the right meal plans though 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 7, 2015 4:21pm
via iOS
@Jessica, congrats on being a Mesomorph!! I'm jealous!! If you believe the research you can do any routine you like!!!! I get bored easy though so switch up my routine every month.
In my created workouts there are gym-based programs covering every body part but also in different styles - high weight/low rep & low weight/high rep, cardio-based, circuit-training, multi-muscle parts.. 
Like I said, I get bored easy!!! 
07 Feb
Awesome thanks!!
07 Feb
You're welcome, if you're wanting to burn some calories you can try the workouts I've recommended to Anna. They'll all have you screaming by the end. I love to feel the pain in the gym!
07 Feb
Will check out! Thanks again Love feeling the pain too! You know your having a good workout
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 7, 2015 4:23pm
via iOS
**DISCLAIMER**
I'm not a professional! This is just the kinda stuff that has worked for me & others who have asked me for help in the past.

Plus, no workout is as important as the right meal plan 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51