Getting to difficult yoga poses

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 4:47pm
via iOS
I want to move to more difficult yoga this year, so I've liked some programs to do. However, I'm not sure how to "get" to do some poses. For example- I tried for the first time and utterly failed the following: crane, right crane, left crane, headstand, shoulder stand.
I know I can start off by using the wall, but are there any other suggestions that will help with those poses? Or do I just keep trying until I get it?
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 5:25pm
via Android

I had the exact same problem. I've been doing yoga for a long time, but got stuck on a casual level. I became more limber and my posture improved, but I didn't get any stronger. I've now done bodyweight exercises for the past three months parallel to yoga and my form has improved a lot. I'm now close to doing poses like half moon and scorpion which were completely out of reach for me before. I just have to work a bit more on my balance.

For things like shoulder and head stands you need a strong core. There are workouts in the app for learning these poses. As for crane, focus on finding your balance point before lifting your feet off the ground. Work through the pose gradually, lifting your feet more and more each time. Once you find your balance it's actually not that difficult. First time I tried it, during a yoga class at the gym, I fell over straight into a wall and hit my head, lol.

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 5:37pm
via iOS
Thank you! I will keep working on it and my core and strength. I'll look for some good exercises to help in those. This helped a lot!
21 Feb
Glad to be of help!
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 7:00pm
via Android

Just stretch, stretch and stretch!
We all know it's not as easy as that, but keep motivated and you'll get there. Start easy! Your body will eventually adapt and your joints will become more flexible.

A couple weeks ago I never thought I'd be able to do more than 2 pull ups, and three weeks later I can now complete 5 with good form! Best of luck

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 12:01am
via Android

You should joing a yoga class. Some advanced positions need to be taught to you correctly so you don't get injured

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51