What I have learned about craving.......

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
26 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 6:37am
via Android

So I get really bad craving with my sweet tooth so I learned that Gum helps. I was at Publix yesterday and when I was checking out I saw sugar free gum that was sour patch and Starburst favor . I bought a pack of both and I realize that chewing them taste exactly like the candy but I'm not eating the candy so I cut down on my sugar intake and everything else that is bad for me. I know there's no shortcuts for doing something right but this definitely helps. :-)

13 Mar
I do this too! Mostly with the ones that are like... Strawberry shortcake, etc but I also heard that it causes bloating... Still an extremely great method though
13 Mar
If you like beer is Ethan because they taste sweet but they healthy
Image_thumb
158 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 8:02am
via Android

Be careful though, because chewing gum might make you hungry. Chewing gum triggers saliva production, the same thing happens when you're eating food. The difference is that you're not swallowing any food when chewing gum. Your body expects food, so it will make you feel hungry. A good alternative is drinking warm water or tea or eating an apple.

Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 3:42am
via iOS
See, now I've heard the opposite: that the act of chewing decreases hunger sensations because it's what you do when you eat.  Therefore, it's supposed to trick your body.  Idk...
13 Mar
I heard this too and tried it and it works for me
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 6:51am
via Android

I've heard both. :) But it's true that several different factors work together in our sensation of hunger/being full, saliva production being one. I've heard that lots of veggies will make you feel fuller because of all the chewing and I've heard that chewing gum isn't good since it triggers the system. Although the difference is of course you swallow the veggies and not the gum.

Another thing that might be bad for you if you're really sugar sensitive or developing insulin resistance is the sweeteners in the gum. Artificial sweeteners MIGHT trigger sugar cravings and insulin production in some people. My strategy is to avoid all kinds of sweeteners and also foods rich in natural sugars, like fruit, just in case. But each to his own I say! Whatever works for you, stick to it!

Image_thumb
520 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 7:15am
via Android

Hey it's the placebo effect some things work for people because they think they will so do whatever feels right and helps

13 Mar
Yup, if it works for you and isn't unhealthy, keep it up.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51