MUSCLE v FAT - UNDERSTANDING THE FACTS AND STAYING MOTIVATED

27 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 4:48pm

Most people are totally obsessed with scale weight. I was! But what has changed is I now understand what role it plays in being healthy and I don't worship the numbers that stare back at me.

The problem with the scale is that it doesn't tell you how much your weight is fat and how much is muscle. Another problem is that scale weight can fluctuate wildly on a daily basis, blurring the real picture.

Losing weight is easy. Losing fat -AND KEEPING IT OFF- without losing muscle is harder. you can lose 10lbs+ over the weekend simply by dehydrating yourself & using natural diuretics. You'll also gain it back within days.

Ignoring the scale in favor of body fat is a difficult shift in mindset to make, but it's essential to long term success.

Muscle is your secret weapon against fat. Muscle is your "metabolic furnace" burning calories even as you sleep or watch TV. Muscle is active tissue- it is the catalyst for a fast metabolisim. Fat just sits there idly in clumps on your body.

If you train with weights or do bodyweight exercises do not be discouraged if you step on the scales and they haven't dropped (hell, they might have gone up!). Use the mirror, take selfies, check your bodyfat with calipers.

You can lose more than 2lbs of weight per week, but it's highly unlikely to lose more than 2lb of fat per week.

If losing WEIGHT is your sole and only goal just do hours and hours of steady state cardio BUT make a choice on what kind of body you want... If losing FAT is your goal, forget the scale weight, pick up some weights and starting do HIIT cardio.

12 Mar
Great advice
12 Mar
Once a believes what your saying it's a game changer
12 Mar
Concise and direct. Awesome.
12 Mar
thanks, just wanted to share the information as some people I chat to have become a little discouraged at what they see on the scales.
12 Mar
It's been nearly a month since I've looked at the scales.lol. Brilliant Scotty. Always there to lend a hand and useful information. :D
Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 5:58pm

I actually weigh myself every day but only because I find it interesting how bodweight fluctuates. I put on and lost 3lbs in the last 2 days! lol

Once I hit my macro/calorie "sweet spot" I find that I can lose a certain amount of weight pretty fast (usually around 4-7lbs that week), but I much prefer to base how well I'm doing by using the mirror and what my wife says

And another thing.........

Every one of us loses weight from specific parts of our body. I lose weight from my shoulders, chest and arms first whereas I lose fat from my mid-section last (like most men).

My point? You might not think you are losing weight/fat purely because you are looking in the wrong place!!!

13 Mar
Social programming can be a pain in the ass Anna! I still find it funny that I'm more or less the same weight as I was 3 years ago when I was much bigger but my bodyfat is nearly 20% less!
13 Mar
Whoops, wrote that in the wrong place!
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 10:13am
via Android

THANK YOU! I was thinking about writing a post about this but you beat me to it. :)

I've begun asking people if they want to drop numbers on the scale or if they want to drop dress sizes. Which one is more important? To weigh 60 kgs or to be a size you feel comfortable in?

I'm also gonna quit using the term "lose weight" and instead start saying "lose fat".

I'm aware though that especially women are obsessed with their weight and what the scale says. This is just something that we learn is super important and our sense of self worth often relies heavily on it. Even after not weighing myself regularly for years and for the past month focusing only on my measures and not weighing myself at all I'm tempted. I struggle almost every day with the urge to weigh myself. But I know it's useless and I know it would break my spirit and I know it would happen even though I've lost more than an inch off my waist since the beginning of February. Because I've been taught that what the scale says is more important than anything else and in some way defines my worth.

02 Apr
I agree Anna. I pretty much thought that weight loss was my aim due to lack of information. I actually was never truly worried about my weight but more on the fat I had. I just did not know that what I was doing would keep me on a loop as everyone around me did the same. You definitely get quicker results with scales (why so many fall for it) than by measuring yourself. Scale numbers always change, while the tape? You may be the same shape for a while. Now I only weigh myself once a month just for...
13 Mar
So do you have to work on getting rid of the fat before muscle, or does the fat turn in to muscle.OK my goal is to be a sweet size 9 again like back in the day.20 years ago, yeah I no.
Image_thumb
68 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 3:46am
via Android

My number 1 passion is to have abs defined six pack. Do i need to do mad cardio workouts to loose the fat around my abs? I have found that the treadmill works for me. I dont want yo have to sweat my bum off doing planks,standing ab excerises,sit ups reverse sit ups im so determined but disappointed cause i thought i would loose some weight cause i look a lot different.weights are awesome wouldn't stop them.

Image_thumb
159 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 5:52am
via Android

That's great to know. Keep such forums alive.

Image_thumb
214 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 1:40pm
via Android

Every time I see a topic by Scotty I know it's the kind of topic the community was created for.

The difference between losing weight and feeling better... This is something most people ignore. I think it's just that they can't imagine results without the scale shouting out loud "You've lost x pounds!" And I must say it was the same for me, but I was on the other side, hoping to gain weight (lean muscle). The struggle! "You're quite tall and that's your weight? That's unhealthy, do you have eating disorders? You shouldn't work out, you should just eat more!!" WTF!?!?!? I started losing fat in the beginning but growing some tiny muscles too and I was sad!! Yes, because being underweight and trying to convince MyFitnessPal that yes, this is my weight and no, I'm not starving myself to death has been really stressful. I was so tired of all this that I ditched the scale and I still weigh in like once every month but now I laugh at the numbers and love the results! And now I finally saw a number on the scale I am satisfied with but even if tomorrow it would go down again I wouldn't give a damn, because I'm happy with who I am and how I feel.

Scales know nothing about getting healthier!! Don't trust them and don't let them discourage you!!!!!

02 Apr
Standing Ovation!
02 Apr
Spring_thumb
24 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 4:03pm
via Android

I know exactly what you mean take me for example I started at 210 I'm now 187 but my body looks like I've lost more. My goal was 148 but I'm starting to think I'll be too skinny. I weigh myself weekly but I feel better about this journey just by looking in the mirror

Icon_missing_thumb
18 Posts
Apr 3, 2015 1:55pm
via Android

How can I super Like this topic. I burn for this subject. I have a group of friends obsessed with the number.

Everything you wrote on here is what I have repeated for years.

The ideal number on that scale is a poop away or ruined by a meal to come. 
I have taught belly dance for years. Sweating my ass off, number stayed the same. However, three months here concentrating on full body weight lifting, cleanest diet in my life, I have GAINED five pounds, but I'm down two sizes. Go explain that! What I have gained the past three months is much more than what that number could give.

I naturally wake up at six am full of energy, cleaner skin, zen attitude towards stressful situations, plus a long list of other desired side effects.

So many elements of a healthy life are aligned and fall into place as a result of a holistic view rather than a number on a scale.

We need to reprogram. Especially those of us raising the next generation.

Good luck all in your journey.
Happy Friday!

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Jul 20, 2015 9:14am

Bump

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Jul 21, 2015 2:27pm
via iOS
Giving this a push upward!
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 12:00am
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 1:09am
via iOS
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 12:31pm
via Android

Happy Saturday Bump

Image_thumb
134 Posts
Aug 26, 2015 2:45am
via Android

Learn the facts...

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Aug 26, 2015 3:02am
via Android

Great post my friend! 

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Aug 26, 2015 3:10am
via iOS
You guys are toooo cute 
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Sep 2, 2015 5:36pm
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 8, 2015 10:40pm
via Android

Wow!!! Well said indeed :)

Image_thumb
86 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 12:58am
via Android

hmm, i guess when you gain muscle, would it be true to say you get bigger before you get smaller??

since your putting on muscle, while still having fat there, and then once that muscle starts burning calories, thats when you slim down??

just wondering - i read this online in an article.

09 Sep
It depends if your cutting or bulking....lol
10 Sep
cutting!! :-)
13 Mar
Thanks you just answered my question.! Your awesome
Image_thumb
134 Posts
Sep 21, 2015 10:00pm
via Android

Bump up the jams!!

Image_thumb
134 Posts
Oct 27, 2015 1:13am
via Android

Read it, learn it, live it!

27 Oct
Image_thumb
269 Posts
Oct 29, 2015 3:47am
via iOS
And a nudge to the top...
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Feb 1, 2016 6:21am
via Android

Love to read good info. I really need to remember this.

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Feb 4, 2016 1:02pm
via iOS
Bump up
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Feb 17, 2016 3:19pm
via Android

Thanks scotty for so much info.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51