WHY BURPEES?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Mar 16, 2015 2:57am
via iOS
Something I read earlier today.... Anyone wanting to shred some body fat should SERIOUSLY consider doing a crap-load of burpees every day!

Burpees make everything burn: Your muscles, your lungs, and most importantly, a ton of calories. The exercise—which entails going from pushup position to a jump and back to a pushup position again—is so tough that performing about 10 fast-paced reps is just as effective at revving your metabolism as a 30-second all-out sprint, according to a recent study published by the American College of Sports Medicine.

In the study, researchers enlisted ROTC cadets for something called the Wingate Anaerobic Power Test: a 30-second sprint with 4 minutes of rest in between for 4 rounds. Some cadets performed 30 seconds of sprinting on a stationary bike while the others did 30 seconds of burpees as quickly as possible. The result: Both high-intensity exercises resulted in serious metabolic and cardiovascular spikes.

But here’s the difference: "Pedaling on a stationary bike is a relatively simple motor pattern, whereas the burpee involves some degree of agility, balance, coordination, and total body strength” thanks to the exercise’s multiple steps, says lead researcher Nicholas H. Gist, Ph.D., deputy director of the Department of Physical Education at the U.S. Military Academy.

And since the burpee is a total-body exercise, you feel the muscle-building benefits from head to toe, instead of just in your legs and lungs.

16 Mar
Sounds unlikely... But I love Burpees! They are my go to when I'm looking for something to challenge me and get the heart rate up and cals burned. Then again I love high intensity workouts anyway.
16 Mar
Exactly! And me too!! I've created a 30 day shred program which I'm 15 days into and burpees form a fundamental part of the following 7 days... I love the way they rip the body up and their ability to wipe you out in minimal time : )
16 Mar
Me I'm not so much into the cardio elements of the workouts - rather doing it in the gym - except for burpees and jumping jacks. Yes it's tough, but it's definitely worth it!
16 Mar
Totally Matthias, it's my "go to" exercise to shred body fat along with mountain climbers & sprint intervals. Heck, I'll be doing all 3 of em this week!
16 Mar
Well, that's what I meant: I hate sprinting and esp. mountain climbers - so burpees should do it for me ;-)
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Jul 19, 2015 5:18am
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
71 Posts
Jul 19, 2015 1:14pm
via iOS
I thought you said no more burpees until next June 
19 Jul
Hahaha...this is for the people that missed out our joy! xD
19 Jul
There was joy? Nobody told me this... I'll look out for this joy thing next time round. /;
19 Jul
Shhhhhh....don't scare the possible victims. They do not know.... (⊙o⊙)
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jul 19, 2015 6:06pm
via Android

If you want make them extremely hard you can make push up or even push up clap when you are down and when you going up try jump with high knees. Try few of them :)

Image_thumb
252 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 9:20pm
via iOS
Bumpty bump
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 3:24pm
via Android

Burp

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Dec 24, 2015 9:08am
via Android

To remind us why we did it!

27 Dec
We do it because we love pain

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51