Which weight for your dumbells?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
25 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 5:02pm
via Android

Hello Skimble buddies!
My current goal is to tone my arms some more and to lose some small yet stubborn pockets of fat in my upper arms. I'm have a healthy weight for my height (totally normal BMI) but i just seem not to be able to lose it. I decided to do more weight workouts for my arms but i was wondering how much weight should i use? How do you choose the appropriate weight so it's the most efficient, in order not to exhaust yourself but still getting a good workout? I'm a woman and my goal is really not to get bigger arms but really to slim and tone them.

Also in order to get rid of these "wings" or "flabby arms" or however you want to call it what type of exercises (on top of weight exercises) would you recommend?

Thanks in advance skimblers!

20 Mar
Little fat depots and toning requires more burning - weights can help in definition, but to really make it visible you need to get the stupid fat vanish. Try to add more cardio and increase working on your biggest muscles (legs and bum) to burn it in no time!
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 5:32pm
via Android

I am no expert but I'd say lift a weight that you'll be no longer able to lift on your twelfth rep. Don't be afraid to lift heavy you won't get big arms just that easily, to add a solid inch to your arms you need to gain about 5 pounds of muscle which is quite hard to do and is only done if you're planning to do it. Otherwise when you'll be eating according to your goals that is not in a surplus of what you're burning you won't get bigger arms, tone them with what weight you can lift with proper form for 3 sets of 12-15 reps.. good luck

20 Mar
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that
Image_thumb
86 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:16pm
via Android

i lift light. (5-10 lbs) and do about 10-15 reps! that way i tone up without bulking! ☺

Image_thumb
25 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:29pm
via Android

Thanks I'll try it out

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:35pm
via iOS
Here's something interesting.......

Your body consists of 3 main muscle fiber groups & doing different weights/reps hits different fibers, and it's been claimed, accelerates growth.

For the last 6 months I've been trying different programs which consist of rep ranges of 3 / 8 / 12 / 15 / 20 / 30 / 50 and changed the weight to ensure I hit fatigue at the end of each set. 

All have been effective!

So my advice is.... Any weight you choose, but hit fatigue, and change the weight at least every couple of weeks and the rep range so your body doesn't adapt 
20 Mar
Sounds like a good advice! Thanks :)
21 Mar
Scotty is a pretty smart chap. I vouch for his opinion and I trust his advice.
21 Mar
Thanks for the kind comment DJ
21 Mar
True story.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:47pm
via iOS

You're welcome. The worst thing a person can do is lift weight that doesn't put their body under stress, so if you're doing 15 reps then hit fatigue by 15. If you're doing 30 reps, hit fatigue at 30. And if you're doing 6...... Well, you get the idea!! Too many people lift a weight, count to 10 reps and put it back down again. That's it, no stress, no straining, no sweat... Pointless! 

20 Mar
Can you tell I'm hungry?!?!
21 Mar
Hahaha yes i can!
Image_thumb
25 Posts
Mar 21, 2015 2:12pm
via Android

Thanks for the advice guys! I started applying it today, still trying out what is the appropriate weight according to the reps, we'll see the results soon hopefully

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51