Positive thinking

8 posts | Original | Recent
382 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 8:40am
via Android

The other day I read about a method called Happy heart. The technique is to repeat positive affirmations and words to yourself as soon as you find yourself in a negative train of thought. This might sound very new agey, but there's actual science behind it. Our brains forms neurological patterns and trails when we think. How we behave and react to our thoughts and experiences forms our brains. The neurological patterns are formed not only by what we experience in our lives but by how we react to these experiences.

The human brain is extremely plastic which means it's possible to change our pattern of thought. This is how cognitive therapy works and also why mindfulness is widely accepted by the medical community today, as a treatment for eg stress, chronic pain and OCD. These methods work by either consciously changing your pattern of thought or stopping yourself from thinking negative thoughts, thus breaking the negative neurological patterns and/or forming new, positive ones.

Positive thinking is not something you achieve in a day or two. The happy heart method recommends repeating positive words for three minutes every time you find yourself thinking negatively. After a few months you will find yourself having less negative thoughts. Mindfulness needs to be practiced consequently and daily, both by exercises in meditation and relaxation and everyday exercises in being fully present and experiencing the now as opposed to thinking about the past or the future.

Have you chosen to use any of these methods, or do you find yourself using them without knowing they are methods developed to promote a positive attitude towards life?

01 Apr
This. 1,000,000,000 times, THIS.
19 Jul
Wow I do this everyday. I love speaking positive to myself and to others but I never knew it was this big of a thing I was treating others the way I would want to be treated positive mind positive vibe positive life I love it :-)
159 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 9:04am
via Android

I'm gonna try this Anna :)  I'll get back to you with my experience. Great forum.

334 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 9:46am
via Android

Thank you dear Anna! Really interesting reading.

Am I wrong in thinking there are some similarities with Buddhism Anna? Just wondering...

01 Apr
No, you're right, there are similarities. Meditation is practiced in Buddhism and it has been "translated" into a more Western practice in mindfulness. There are a lot of different branches of mindfulness too, some closer to a Buddhist way of thinking and living, and others more focused on the medical aspects of it. Even though we usually think of Buddhism, Zen and Taoism when we talk about meditation, there are some aspects of meditation in all religions. You could say that praying for instance is a form of meditation too.
01 Apr
Agreed! My cousin is currently embarking on the Buddhist route. I'm intrigued by different religions and as this was specifically a recent topic Buddhism sprang to mind. Having said that you're absolutely right that there is certainly a form of meditation in all religions. :) Thank you for this post. Extremely interesting Anna!
Apr 1, 2015 10:50am

Positive thought is good in life..

1657 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 3:38pm
via iOS
Hi Anna, interesting topic.
To answer your question, yes I've practiced and coached positive affirmation techniques in the workplace and strongly believe it's possible to reprogram the brain to react differently. 
It begins with the individual's attitude to life in general but everyone can learn methods to approach situations differently over time. 
01 Apr
That's great! I believe everyone can change, it's just a matter of recognizing you need change and committing to it. The only way to develop as a human being is by being conscious of your own behavior and choosing to make change where it's needed. To me the meaning of life is simply to make the most of it and of yourself.
211 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 9:34pm

It's definitely working. Ironic is, most of us do it all their life, but in a wrong way. Whenever you say "I can't do that", "It doesn't work", "It's hard"... you start an affirmation, which leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are just some rules you have to follow:
- Make sure you say what you want, not what you don't want
- Use positive words
- Imagine to have what you want already
- Don't use "I WANT..HOPE...WILL" describe the situation which will be in the end as if you already are there
- put as much emotions inside as possible

Your beliefs and affirmations have to accord. If you don't believe what you say, the belief always be stronger. That's the hardest things for most.

As you can see, I also use affirmations and all this stuff is a big hobby for me since in about 25 years. I have done firewalks, experiences in groups and did a lot things to learn and to use it.

25 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 5:14am
via Android

Like the words Anna...

Personally I go through life convinced I am awesome even when there is evidence (some would say a lot) to the contrary...

However it seems to work for me...

02 Apr
Hahahaha Glen, you are gold! That was pricless.
02 Apr
Cheers D.J... Ahh you gotta be positive and smash goals... I got a long way to go but I feel pretty good each day
03 Apr
Lol I know the feeling, Glen.
334 Posts
Jul 19, 2015 5:30am
via Android

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51