Women's weight lifting

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
49 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:08pm
via iOS
Hey skimblers! Working out lately has been... Well, boring:/ cardio is no longer doing it for me. I feel burned out, bored, and [worse] skinny fat. I'd like a challenge, and I've decided to start heavy weight lifting!

I have so many questions... There's tons of resources online, but they are all so conflicting. If I google "weight lifting" I get a pretty solid amount of proven, scientifically correct advice. But if I look up "women's weight lifting", it's a whole different ball game! It amazes me how all these "experts" claim that *they* have all the answers on how I need to be training, and yet they all the advice they give is completely conflicting! So guys, what do you think? Do I need to be training different than a man?

Some of my main questions have to do with nutrition. What should I be eating, and how much? Do I need to eat at a deficit if my goal is to tone up? Is it possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time? If not, which should I focus on doing first, and for how long? In case you haven't gotten it yet, I'm pretty lost >.< If you have any advice or tips, please share! Thanks :)
04 Apr
Weightlifting.com and check our Jamie Eason (I think I have that last name right) she's rock solid and she has a free program with nutritional help
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:10pm
via iOS
Holy crap-balls that's a lotta questions!!
04 Apr
Yeaaa... I tend to get a little obsessive about needing to know everything about any given subject that interests me :s lol but if anyone could answer even just one of my questions, I'd really appreciate it :)
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:12pm
via iOS
WANT TO LOSE OR GAIN WEIGHT: READ THIS!!!
 This might help a little with the eating question. I've already forgotten the other questions so I'll have to add another response! 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:14pm
via iOS
Ok.... So losing fat while gaining muscle is called "CULKING"
Check my created workouts on my profile and you'll see a list of workouts called "DARE TO SHRED" - the combination of weight-lifting and HIIT is a form of CULKING which, when combined with a high-protein diet helps you shed body fat whilst maintaining muscle 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:16pm
via iOS
Do you need to lift weights differently to a man?
Hell no!! The only difference is that your body will react differently. 
When men lift heavy weight they tend to pack on muscle & mass (the bulky look that scares a lot of women)
When women lift heavy they pack on muscle and TONE. They do not get bulky
I'll say that again.....
THEY DO NOT GET BULKY
Put the 2lb pink dumbbell down and pick something heavier! Your body will love you for it 
04 Apr
Lol I'm laughing at my purple 1kg dumbbells every time but they're all I have at the moment.
04 Apr
Time to fill a bag with bricks then Anna ; )
04 Apr
Hahah! No purple or pink dumbbells for me... I lucked out, my dad has a full homemade gym in his basement, and I'm really loving it!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 8:19pm
via iOS
Finally....
Looking at your profile photo it is clear that you are thin..
My advice (just lil old me)? Ditch the cardio, lift heavy for at least 4 weeks. Your body will begin to get the muscle tone you are desiring. 

If you are aching for cardio do 10min HIIT rounds 2 or 3 times a week. 
Image_thumb
49 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 9:01pm
via iOS
Thanks so much for your time and help!
Image_thumb
68 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 11:13pm
via Android

We all have trics bi etc.but women often want to look different so men tend to target on other parts of the body ie biceps,chest where as women tend to like abs,legs & bum.depending on your goal.
Im also doing weight lifting the results is what keeps me going form posture & doing the rep correctly i do less weight more reps to cut up hopefully.

Image_thumb
68 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 11:15pm
via Android

Scotty.Can u tell me what what i should lift 5pounds? 8 pounds?

05 Apr
Hi Melinda, rather than the weight is recommend you focus on the reps. Figure out how much you can lift for 12 reps, for example, where you are tiring by the 12th rep. 5 & 8lbs is too light for most people depending on the exercise. Whatever weight you lift though you should be fatigued by the final rep or you're not putting the muscle under stress to make it improve/grow.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51