Can someone help me with push ups?

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Apr 6, 2015 6:37pm
via Android

I always try with push ups but its really hard to me to do one single push up i never can do it can someone help me? why i cant complete a single push up? its very frustrating ! thanks and sorry about my english haha

06 Apr
Try to do all the different types of push-ups and workout your arms and shoulders a lot
06 Apr
Try them from your knees in the beginning. When you get stronger & more secure about the movement you can try it from your toes (plank position).
06 Apr
Hi, try first from your knees, and or against the wall. After you get stronger you'll get it.
07 Apr
The best way I have find to help folks is start with planks first start with high planks 10 second reps 3 sets , then low planks same numbers , then start trying middle planks for 5 seconds 3 sets and you will slowly start don't better but have the right form to make great pushups
Image_thumb
196 Posts
Apr 6, 2015 6:58pm
via Android

What EB said for sure, start on your knees, and also go down slowly each time, reposition yourself in the up position and slooowwwwlllyyy work your way down, that will help with the motion and strengthen your arms

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Apr 6, 2015 7:05pm
via Android

Thanks guys i will try it

Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Apr 6, 2015 7:07pm

If you want to really break it down, start with wall pushups. Stand facing the wall with your hands at shoulder height and do pushups. Then move to doing them on a table. Stand next to a table with your hands on the edge of the table and do them (these are basically incline pushups). Then move to a chair (lower incline) then move to your knees, then move to the real deal.

06 Apr
Yes! This worked excellent for me, whereas switching from knee to regular push-ups didn't give any results at all. Your body is in a completely different angle when you're on your knees and that won't strengthen your core enough. I moved from wall to low bookcase to floor.
06 Apr
Good thinking Jason, I just did wall of arms 2, great workout!
06 Apr
Thanks Clint, but I can't the credit. I read about it in Convict Conditioning but it follows my personality perfectly. I like to break things down into the smallest increments possible.
06 Apr
Lol, convict conditioning? Nice!
07 Apr
Although a small disclaimer might be in place: BE CAREFUL. Check that the furniture you're using is sturdy enough and that you won't slip. First time we talked about this method I could picture myself using the back of kitchen chair and hurting myself real bad. I laughed so much at the mental pictures but someone else might just end up hurting themselves and not laughing about it at all.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 3:42pm
via Android

Hi, I am ex military and before I joined I could only do 3. By the time I finished training I could do 50...My trick to building my upper muscles were to put my feet on a step and practice form...as I improved I started doing inclined push ups to really build the muscles. I made an effort to attempt 20 push ups when I woke and 20 before bed.

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 3:50pm

I was actually chatting about this with my wife yesterday and recalled how I helped some people training for a Tough Mudder a couple of years ago who were concerned at their pOor upper-body strength..

I made them promise to do one very simple thing - Every time they went to the bathroom they had to do 20 incline push-ups before they left (yep, sometimes that meant they had to wait for the restroom to be empty!). I had them promise to do this every day for 2 weeks.

When you drink as much water as you're supposed to that can add up to a LOT of incline push-ups! During that 2 weeks we didn't do any other push-ups, it was simply a test to show how their upper body strength would improve.

After the 2 weeks we all did as many standard push-ups as we could do in 1 set....

Every one of them did at least 100% better than their first attempt 2 weeks prior, just from doing a few incline ones whenever they needed to pee or poop!

From then on it was all about doing as many standard push-ups a day over a 5 min, 5 set round. After another 4 weeks every one of them could do a minimum of 50 push-ups without rest.

A long ramble, but put simply, your body adapts, you get stronger & you'll surprise yourself what you are capable of when you stop putting barriers up in your mind and begin to chip away at the problem.

good luck, you've got this.

Anyone need to pee?!?!?!?!?!?

07 Apr
I should try that haha
07 Apr
seriously! Try it! I had a 100% success rate and did it myself but I did 50 at a time. Too many times people make a 'problem' too big. We even moved on to doing wall sits for 30secs at a time after that to strengthen their legs. Planks were off the table though, No way am was I doing a plank on a restroom floor!!! : )
07 Apr
What exactly is a inclined pushup? How would I do it? And YUCK! Public estrogen are always nasty no matter what they say. And wall sits? I fall on the floor every time -_- even the short timed ones lol
07 Apr
an incline push-up is basically where you are standing up and doing the push-up leaning on the wash-basin or wall. I recommended the wash-basin coz it tends to give a 45 degree angle(ish) and so is tougher to do than the wall. And don't tell me we need to challenge you to improve your wall-sits now!!?!?!?! lol
07 Apr
as you get better at the incline you can go lower and lower against what you are doing the push-up against i.e. a park bench or a dumbbell.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 4:13pm
via Android

Hi Amber, I am new to the commenting portion of this app. An inclined push up is when your body is on a slant. As some people have said lean on a chair and so forth. Well I would do them reverse, meaning I would put my feet up on the chair and my hands on the floor. You want to however, start at a lower height, so the first step with hands on the ground, then after a week of this, move to the second step (meaning feet laying on) your body should be in a plank position, and you should have your arms in a comfortable position for you as far as how wide they are. Most women tend to do wider push ups until they have build up those muscles. Also your legs can be together or apart. Your head should be erect and not looking downward. Please let me know if any other clarity is needed.

07 Apr
I'll try that! If I don't reply back, y'all will know I killed myself /: I'm not even joking! Thanks for your help!
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 4:16pm
via Android

Oh and when you go down into the lower half of a push up, your elbows should form a 90 degree angle from the floor to your shoulder. Your back should not be rolled up like a cat, but focus on keeping your butt down and your back straight. It's not easy starting out, but over time it is.

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 4:27pm
via Android

No! So if you only have your sink I would imagine it being too high. If you have book you can stack them to be roughly 6 inches off the ground. Make sure to have two stacks next to each other and lean them against the wall for support. Or a window ledge is what I would use in training. As far as a challenge. I would challenge you the first week to attempt 15 push ups before you start your day, and after you finish your day. Then the next week continue this but kick it up to before every meal. The point of the incline backwards is to isolate the muscle group and build them up with your own body weight. It makes regular pushup a cakewalk! Good luck! You can do it!

07 Apr
Didn't mean to take over the other girls forum, but thanks for the help! As for the challenge, I am already doing a pushup challenge with Erin (:

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51