Working the night shift

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Apr 22, 2015 4:58am
via Android

Does anyone else work the night shift? I work 2am until whenever I get done which is normally around 11am. It makes getting anything done really hard. If you work night shift and find time to work out, how do you do it?

22 Apr
I used to work 11pm until - I would workout on my lunch breaks or when ever in had down time . I still do. And depending on your job, just about anything can be turned into some sort of workout session. From lifting boxes to run ing up and down stairs, even quick tricep dips on the desk or push ups against the wall. Creativity is key. When you walk into work, look at it as a gym. Utilize what you can without getting fired. Even if it's deserted space for squats. It's nice to have "gym membership "...
22 Apr
Hahah true never thought of that. I lift boxes and do a lot of bending over, over and over again as part of my job. I usually use my breaks to make a smoothie or throw together a sandwich with fruit and veggies, while still getting a Vape in. My boss tends to not give us a lunch break... so that makes it difficult. I thought I would stay in shape working this one but I have gained 10-15 pounds in the 2 and a half years I've been there. There's no sitting time, always on your feet but I...
22 Apr
Yup. I worked unloading trucks for Target over night, turned picking up boxes into deadlifts, into a shoulder press...standing Russian twist. Whatever I could. Makes the time go faster as well.
22 Apr
It didn't make you more tired did it?
22 Apr
Once it got later and the night slowed down yes. But as long as I was moving i was fine. I worked 12 hour shifts 22 days straight during Christmas time. My boss made me take a day off
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Apr 22, 2015 5:36am
via Android

When the sun starts coming up is when it gets to me.. and wow 15 hours 22 days in a row had to suck! I get days like that around Christmas and Thanksgiving , besides the occasional bad day and it makes me feel awful.

22 Apr
I did it purposely. I liked 1000$ checks after taxes lol
22 Apr
Lol yeah I get minimum wage. It would take an eternity to make 1000 after taxes. I got around 600 for the hardest and longest two weeks last year.
22 Apr
We even came in two extra nights
22 Apr
Hey atleast it's something. :-) sucks to have to work those extras though
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 22, 2015 8:09am
via Android

I used to have a three shift job where the shifts were 7 am-3 pm, 3 pm-11 pm and 11 pm-7 am. I usually would have all three shifts mixed in just a few days, which sucked. Like Friday 11pm-7am, Saturday 3pm-7am (double shifts were common during the weekends), Sunday 3pm-11pm, Monday 7am-3pm. That's 40 hours of work in three days, but the worst part is you never get proper sleep. I sure didn't mind the paycheck after working night shifts in the weekends and having a lot of time off was nice but it was a relief not having to work night shifts anymore. Eventually the evening/morning shift mixing started to get to me too and I was constantly tired and was never able to create any routines.

Unfortunately there are studies showing that shift work and working night shifts are hazardous to your health in the long run, mainly because you don't get proper sleep, routines and eating habits and because you force your body into a cycle that's unnatural for it.

22 Apr
Lol I didn't even answer your question, I just complained about my job. Make it a habit to work out when you get up, whether it be 6pm or 1am. Start with baby steps.
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Apr 22, 2015 9:11am
via Android

Like Anna I have worked a 3 shift work schedule. Like you I have done 9pm - 9am. I've also had 5am to 5pm shifts. One thing I've found is you just got to push pass the thought of "it's too hard". If you want it, you will get it. There are days when I am dead tired leaving work. But as soon as I get past my first set, it's on. I guess what I'm saying is you just got to do it no matter your circumstances.  You want to be fit, you want to be stronger, faster. Then get it!

Image_thumb
215 Posts
Apr 22, 2015 4:58pm

Since almost 30 years I'm working rotating shift: morning from 5am - 2pm, afternoon from 1pm - 10pm, nightshift from 9pm - 6am. Sundays I just have morning and nightshift: 5am - 6pm, 5pm - 6am

When I have nightshift, I usually get up after 4-5 hours sleeping, eat a little, wait for in about 1 hour and do my workouts. I have a nap before I go to work again.

I try to plan my workouts, so I have most of my rest days on nightshift. It's possible, cause I don't work 7 days a week, usually 4 days and 3 days two weeks later.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51