Covering up in the gym...?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
May 3, 2015 11:41am
via Android

Hi im a muslim woman and I recently joined a gym. I wear loose jogging bottoms and a full sleeve shirt and a headscarf. However im really paranoid that people will make fun of me etc and its causing me to lose motivation. If u guys saw someone like me would you think im weird etc?

03 May
I think most people like myself wouldn't think twice about it. Honestly i think everyone has insecurities. Who cares anyways, you are there to work out.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
May 3, 2015 1:18pm
via Android

Personally? No.

I might look and then reflect on ways it might be different for you, and whether it makes you nervous to dress that way, in what may often seem like a society hostile to your culture, and how strong you must be to decide to live your life well and go to the gym anyway, despite the additional nervousness...

I do hope you continue to go, and nothing unpleasant ever happens, and you meet friendly people, and you grow so comfortable there that if anyone ever DID do something negative, you would immediately think of THEM as the obvious outsider.

Icon_missing_thumb
280 Posts
May 3, 2015 1:56pm
via Android

Were in the 21st century therefore people should be OK with your appearance. Simply stay calm and fear no one.

Image_thumb
215 Posts
May 3, 2015 2:58pm
via Android

Honestly, I wouldn't think twice about it. Depending on how into it at the gym I was(if I even went to one), I more than likely wouldn't notice you at all.
Don't lose your motivation on the possibility someone is going to think you're dressed weird. Do you and don't worry about anyone else (:

03 May
You could be butt naked and I wouldn't notice, when I'm in the zone im in the zone. I wouldn't worry about it don't lose motivation keep going!
Image_thumb
382 Posts
May 3, 2015 4:20pm
via Android

Nope, I would notice and think you're a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf and then I wouldn't pay any more attention to it. And I live in a community with very few women wearing hijabs, if any. It's the 21st century and we should all respect one another and let people be who they are and choose to be.

The gym is as much for you as for any other person. Go strong and don't worry about other people!

Image_thumb
342 Posts
May 3, 2015 7:57pm
via Android

Absolutely not! I applaud you on taking this step!
Also who cares what people think, you have a right to be there like the next person does!
Good luck on your goals and keep at it!

Image_thumb
99 Posts
May 5, 2015 6:21am
via Android

Hey love dw i used to feel the same and get so embarrassed about working out with males around but now i put my earphones on and block everyone out and do my own thang. I dress really tight too which i shouldnt though but i dont care what anyone thinks coz in the end their judgments dont count

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51