Starting day 1 help

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
May 17, 2015 6:09am
via Android

Hello everyone.
So finally tomorrow I'm starting my goal to slim down. I'm 5'1 220 lbs. That's ALOT of weight for me to be carrying around. I used to be 125 lbs. But starting I. 2009 I began to gain gain and gain some more. Now I'm at the point where I'm just disgusted with myself. I've tried weight watchers.... which has helped me lose 80 lbs before... however they have changed the program so much I struggled with staying on plan. So I'm just gonna do it the old fashioned way. Work out more and eating right and staying under a certain calorie target. Can anyone share some tips as to what they think would work for me? It's been a long time since I have worked out. I'm so out of shape. I feel so ashamed and embarrassed. I hate running into old friends because I'm afraid that all they're gonna think is " omg she's so.fat now"... My self esteem is gone and I just need help. What can help me stay on track?? I've tried so many things and nothing has helped. I'm afraid if I don't do it now... I'm gonna end up.with health problems etc... help.

17 May
Go for a 30 min walk everyday leslie,
17 May
I agree start with walking . Download my fitness pal app it will work out how many calories u shoul have in a day u can input ur daily meals and it will help u to keep track of ur food. U will be able to find exercises on here from 5 mins to 60 mins u can start with 5 mins of cardio .
17 May
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks . Also don't worry how much/many exercises everyone is doing u do what u can . U'll get there we are here to help and motivate and support you x:-)
17 May
Louise can you help me with my diet please
17 May
I always do my workouts as soon as I get home from work. Also, download 'lose it'. It has kept me on track and I've only gone over on one day and that is because I treated myself to Starbucks. Make sure you set the goals for yourself on skimble for how many times you want to work out as well. That way you get notifications saying to stay on track. Luckily I haven't had that yet but a friend of mine gets them all the time and she said it forces her to work out. Haha! Good luck!!
Image_thumb
334 Posts
May 17, 2015 9:16am
via Android

Hi Leslie!

Welcome to the Skimble family.
Here we're a community of like minded people that try not only and reach our personal goals but support and help when able.

I'm so happy you've decided to make this important first step. I'll be honest though...this was the easy bit, making it an actual part of your everyday life is the hard bit.

Many make excuses not to work out (time, too tired, work etc..) but there's always space during the day for a short or long workout.

Also remember that although you may see changes with exercise, you'll see more permanent and better changes when combined with a clean diet.

There are plenty of amazing people here that have posted a lot of fantastic information on this topic and much more (check *Scotty K. posts to start you off) as well as doing your own personal research and posting a specific questions if you can't find it here in the forum. There's so much here though, that most likely your question may have already been asked. Look first.

There are also programs for beginners that you could try but you need to be a payed member to take advantage of them.

Art of Exercise: Free Level I
Art of Exercise: Free Level II
Art of Exercise: Free Level III

Here's the free programs to try out and get you started. They should also give you more of an idea on how they're planned out and how the orhers would look like.

Also the workouts are sectioned into casual (which would be great for a begginer), intermediate and intese and are mostly free. Have a look at them and start trying some out. It's trial and error as what may work for me may not work for you.

Organize a schedule that's realistic and you'll stick to too as it's easy to miss workouts when there's no structure in place.

I think that's all I wanted to say in my essay.lol

Wishing you the best on this beautiful journey and enjoy the ride. Don't let people tell you anything. With me it's in one ear and super quickly out the other. Amazing filters...only positivity sticks these days.

Remember why you're doing this. You'll start to feel the changes wayyyyy before you start to see them. Do not give up as you'll be back where you are now. So remember this feeling too and then project yourself this time next year. If you stick to this...imagine how different the way you feel will be.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

Image_thumb
2 Posts
May 17, 2015 10:29pm
via Android

Thanks so much!! I just started a new job which was alot of the burnout before. I'm feeling great about it . Now I need to work on ME and get me back to where I need to be. It's so hard cause my husband eats like a pig. Doesn't gain ANY weight. Sucks cause he triggers my cravings with the crap he brings home. But I've talked with him and told him those foods are gonna be not allowed at home. Anyway I thank you so much for responding.  Today was day 1. I'm trying to change my eating habits. Did a 2 min light workout this morning before work. Now when u say " clean eating" what do ya mean??? I'm new to this. It's been since 2008 that I weighed 120. :( and now I don't even recognize myself. :( makes me cry when I think about how I have let myself just go.

18 May
I'm glad I could be of help. Cameron pretty much answered already. ^^ I tend to have a day in which I can still indulge. That keeps me sane and straight the rest of the week. Anything you cut out try and do it slowly to guarantee permant success. At least that's what has worked for me. ^^ I'm still learning myself (just over 3 months on here). Hope you had a brilliant start and build your workouts slowly. Take your time and listen to your body. :)
Image_thumb
23 Posts
May 18, 2015 4:47am
via Android

Clean eating is basically cutting out processed & BS food. Let me share the one thing that helped me the most before & I'm doing it again. Cut out sugar. My replacements are sugar free sweetners for my coffee & stevia. I do not go over 15 grams per day. I also use protein shakes as 1 to 2 meal replacements a day. Best one I've come across is at Walmart called six star lean protein fit. Around $15 a container, easy way to spot it, it's label is orange. Since I am lactose intolerant & mixing with water taste like crap I use unsweetened almond milk. The powder is low Cal, Carb & sugar. Coffee drinker? Toss in a blender 6-8 oz of coffee, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 cup ice, & 2 tbsp heavy cream. Green tea? Steep 2 green tea bags in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes, in blender add tea, 1 cup ice, 1 scoop vanilla powder, 2 tbsp heavy cream. Then you have 2 Starbucks fixes right there. Believe me, I love em too. And the container of protein powder will last roughly 2 weeks at 2 meal replacements a day. Another thing to curb any sweet cravings is walk to vitamin isle in Walmart & look at Atkins stuff. Keep in mind not overdoing on carbs too because there is such a thing as too many. Convience would be TV dinners & Atkins has those too. But think lean meats like chicken breast, Turkey & fish. Full of protein, not high in calories and no carbs. I cook meat and get those 2 oz plastic cups with lids, fill em up and pop in fridge so when I can't fight craving off or am feeling snacky I grab one. If portion size is too hard to do then drink a bottle water before you eat, make your plate as normal, now scrape 1/2 of that back off and when you finish eating that drink another bottle water. It's a place to start on portion control. I know how it is being short and heavy. I'm 5' and weigh 168 and it hurts. By the way, love the hair.

Image_thumb
23 Posts
May 18, 2015 4:53am
via Android

I get the husband thing too. Only mine gains weight LOL. His problem is he eats & eats & eats & says I'm full but I'm not satisfied. He's a truck driver who works nights so spends days sleeping. I'm gonna get him started somehow because he is now at 410 pounds. Not good considering we have 3 little boys. Too many health risks & they need to grow up with their dad.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51