How to motivate your workout partner

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
May 17, 2015 8:24am
via Android

If you work out together with someone and the person starts complaining and saying "I can't do this", "I'm too tired", "this is too hard", "I don't have the energy" and stuff like that in the middle of the workout, what do you do? I tend to just get annoyed and cranky which of course doesn't help at all, so I need some advice on how to react and what to say. :)

17 May
Maybe they're not really that interested in exercising. Ask them if they really want to do it or not :-)
17 May
I would be slightly annoyed too anna .
17 May
"Yes, it's hard. Isn't it great to feel it working?" "You're doing great." We have an old song called Home on the Range in the western U.S. that has a phrase: "where never is heard a discouraging word." My approach is to say to myself, "Encouraging word," then think of something positive to say. The irritation at a whiner is counterproductive to my state of mind, so I actively suppress the irritation and redirect to the positive so I can reduce my blood pressure. :-)
18 May
I'm all about positive thinking, but sometimes it just gets to me and I can't stop myself before I get annoyed, and then it's difficult to turn your mind. You know how I mean? Next time I'm gonna load up on positive thoughts beforehand!
Image_thumb
38 Posts
May 17, 2015 2:30pm
via Android

The best motivation is you doing your best. My son motivated me last year just by working out. If they want it, they will.

Image_thumb
821 Posts
May 17, 2015 7:50pm
via Android

Everyone has there limits. My coworker who has been wanting to get back in shape has been hitting the gym with me. He can keep up right until we get to stuff like weight lifting plus added cardio.  So I understand, I don't push him to an uncomfortable point, but I do push. I encourage him to do more home workouts so he can start keeping up. But I guess you shouldn't be annoyed, maybe modify your planned workout if they can't keep up. Like if they can't do burpees tell them to do mountain climbers or calf raises. Good luck anna.

18 May
Thanks Jovon. This was actually a case of starting the workout with a negative mindset and I know from experience that if you do that, you won't last through. As soon as you start thinking you can't do it, you're screwed. But that might also mean that I can't do anything about it, I just have to let them find out that for themselves the way I did.
18 May
And btw, great job on motivating your coworker!
Image_thumb
215 Posts
May 18, 2015 4:02pm

- Find out WHY he wants to workout - when you both know the real reason, you find a way to do
-What are his goals - not yours ;-) write them down, make a list and let him look at it every day. Whenever he has reached one goal, mark it
- What kind of workouts does he want?
- What is he able to do today?
- Agree when he say's "it's too hard" but change the words to positive - "Yes, it's not easy now..."
_ In which thingsis he good? Give him examples of all the things, he has leanred and done in his life
- Ask him to try and start as easy as possible - he has to get the feeling of success
- IF he is like a gambler, push and tease him - "look, I can do this and you can't?"
- If you do, don't always talk to him, telling how he has to do it. Let him do, as long as he doesn't do big mistakes.

18 May
Good advice Heiko, as always! :)
18 May
Thanks Anna:)
Jul 24, 2015 11:02am
via Android

Ct

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51