Workouts to be a better runner?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 6, 2015 4:43pm
via iOS
My passion is running! But..... As I age, I know I am losing muscle mass so I incorporate weights/spinning/ core work.... Not too much plyometrics....which probably would be good.
Anyway, what is the best workout to help my running? Not sure if all weight lifting is good or counter-productive?
Any suggestions?
06 Jun
Start with basic lunges and squats to help improve running. Do a few sets of these exercise after a good run when your body has warned up. The best way to improve your running is to run more and faster. Incorporate intervals (your fast speed of running) once a week. Every 5 minutes for 20-30 seconds run hard to where you feel uncomfortable. Eventually build up to running intervals to a minute. You'll be able to run a mile faster in no time. Also, add one longer run per week. Such as 5 miles one week, then 6 the next...
06 Jun
Check out Beach Body's piyo.
Icon_missing_thumb
14 Posts
Jun 7, 2015 8:18am
via Android

One word. RUN!!

09 Jun
If you do 5 sprints for about 50 feet twice a day, soon you will be able to run farther. You can also YouTube different running drills such as high knees and deer runs. Always keep hydrated.
Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 9, 2015 1:24am

Thank you! I have done 24 marathons and I agree sprints help and running boatloads of miles is the key to greater endurance. Beach body plyo might just be a good addition to my training. I progressively add on too my long run for marathon specific training! I specifically am looking for weight training exercises most beneficial for aging runner. Glute work I guess is best, but I am not sure. 

i have the running/cardio aspect of training down. I just do not have the weight training as I age aspect off training straight. Running is my passion, but I know I am losing muscle mass as I age, I just do not want to just lift weights and do training that is conter productive to my running career. I usually place in my age group in races....I am competitive!

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 9, 2015 1:26am

Thank you! I have done 24 marathons and I agree sprints help and running boatloads of miles is the key to greater endurance. Beach body plyo might just be a good addition to my training. I progressively add on too my long run for marathon specific training! I specifically am looking for weight training exercises most beneficial for aging runner. Glute work I guess is best, but I am not sure. 

i have the running/cardio aspect of training down. I just do not have the weight training as I age aspect of training straight. Running is my passion, but I know I am losing muscle mass as I age, I just do not want to just lift weights and do training that is counter productive to my running career. I usually place in my age group in races....I am competitive!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51