LET'S TALK MACROS

24 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 1:20am
via iOS
After chatting on a different topic I thought I'd start this topic to share what macros work for me & have some kinda debate.

It might fall flat on it's ass, but what the hell, I've not started a topic in a while
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 1:24am
via iOS
So..... Anyway......

After trying different kinds of meal plans, bulking, shredding plans etc I prefer to eat on a "slide" through the day.
What this means is I eat most of my calories in the morning, lunch and straight after my workout, and less and less as the day goes by 

Breakfast:
5 egg whites 
1 cup oatmeal 
Half a cup of soy milk 
45g protein shake in water 

If I throw in some creamer with my coffee that's 800-900 cals for my first meal 
08 Jun
Which protein shake should be preffered to lose weight?
08 Jun
I take a whey isolate which is low in carbs and fats but only because I take in a lot of protein through the day. Isolate is my favorite kind, it costs more but you're not taking in unnecessary calories
08 Jun
For a normal person..not for body builder.:-).protein shake is enough for breakfast?whats yr opinion
08 Jun
I disagree. Your body is screaming for food in the morning and it burns more calories digesting than a drink provides. If you workout then a good breakfast should be the foundation for your day
08 Jun
Hm..well me take 2,3 slices of bran bread with egg and then green tea.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 1:27am
via iOS
So basically, what I'm saying is I prefer to have 70% of my calories by lunchtime

TIP: log your food into fitnesspal for the full day to take away the need to think about it. Once you've logged it you just follow it and already know that you've hit your macros 
08 Jun
Scotty...its quite heavy breakfasr-:)
08 Jun
Sets me up for the day Sara. A healthy mix of protein/carbs/fats so I've got the energy needed for my workouts. It also leaves me less bloated by the evening
08 Jun
U take breakfast before yr breakfast?how it works?workout should be before breakfast.
08 Jun
Breakfast after workout..thats strange..
08 Jun
You're talking about fasted cardio, I very rarely do cardio in the morning because I'm not a morning person. Unless you're a fitness athlete it makes very little difference when you do your cardio. I'd rather chill, eat my breakfast & enjoy my coffee
Image_thumb
99 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 2:12am
via Android

I dont count my macros but i also make sure i eat most in the morning or early noon. My friends tell me off for eating alot after my morning gym workout but they dont know that im still burning calories hours after.
And at night after dinner i eat nothing at all. Maybe just a green tea. Its been working for me..I have been seeing results but thats probably because i work out hard and heavy too.

08 Jun
Very similar to me Touma & I'm seeing much better results from keeping my fats low. I use macro-planning because it allows me to have junk food as long as it fits for the day. I tend to make sure I eat a lot of protein through the day. And I mean a LOT
08 Jun
The meals i make or eat are hard to find on fitnesspal and sometimes i just dont have the time or patience to do research for them. Ill probably have to become more strict if I hit plateau again. Hoping i dont though coz i really love my food lol
08 Jun
You shouldn't have to do that Touma, just make the portion sizes a little smaller for each meal : )
08 Jun
Hahaha yeh thats what i plan to do. I aint stopping my nutella lol
Image_thumb
172 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 3:47am
via Android

Only way too loose weight since last plateau is warrior diet (only fruits and lot of water during the day, normal healthy diner the evening)+ workouts. Even if I workout a lot, having breakfast and lunch even very light prevent me loosing any weight...

10 Jun
Do you lift heavy weight hyp.? If so how we're the 1st few weeks of training with the Warriors diet? Also how long have you been consistent with this?
10 Jun
I don't lift heavy weights, just some Dumbbells and some machines. The first weeks are actually quite hard during workout but you get used to and finally find some more energy than when not dieting after a while. I do it regularly and am quite consistent as soon as not in Holliday.
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 4:26am
via Android

This is a good topic. Allow me to contribute. I am starting to eat only 0.6 grams protein per lbs. As opposed to 1 lbs. I have a feeling a will not see or notice any differences.  This will also allow me to eat less calories on a low calorie day, as well free up my colon from taking a pounding from eating in between 165 - 200 grams of protein a day. What are your thoughts?

08 Jun
I'm on 426g of protein a day right now so I'm saying nothing!!
08 Jun
I can't resist... I have to say something, lol. All the reading I've done promotes a high protein diet when training so I stick to that no matter what. The difference now though is that I try to get as many carbs as I can from greens which also jacks my fiber right up. Thankfully this sorts most "protein-based" *ahem* problems
09 Jun
Had to scroll down a bit to find 5 his again. Yeah I agree that almost everything I have read to support the high protein diet. But recently I came across 2 studies that found no evidence of significant differences between 0.6 grams and 2 grams. So I'm going to try it for a month.
09 Jun
Also scotty, how much protein are you eating per serving? I've read numerous studies/articles that say our bodies can only absorb 25 - 30 grams of protein per serving? Unless on anabolic steroids, which I've heard your body can absorb up to 50 grams. Not trying to sway you into eating less protein or suggest u do steroids but rather like to discuss these things.
09 Jun
I eat 50g on average Jovon. I've read a lot of articles as well and they continually conflict with each other. I do it now mainly to hit my calories for the day so I don't take them from carbs/fats. It's the low-fat approach that appears to be helping me most.
Image_thumb
342 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 12:27pm
via Android

I like this topic my macros is:
150g protein
Carbs 123g
Fat 22.5g
I eat all my meals basically by lunch
My breakfast is
Protein shake with 1/2 cup of oatmeal, with either 5 almonds, flax seed oil or udo's
I can switch my oatmeal with 250 ml of egg whites, I have coffee with skim milk.....yuk
I eat again at 9:30, coffee break and again at noon, lunch time
I have a preworkout a hour before which is very small and then post workout is a shake with waxybolic and then before bed is either a small amount of low fat cottage cheese or my protein shake with a small amount of mixed nuts!

08 Jun
I try to have coffee with no fat milk now, it sucks!
10 Jun
Whatttt. .. just drink it straight up black. Sometimes a pinch of real sugar
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 8, 2015 2:22pm
via iOS
271g of carbs
426g protein 
34g of fat

I'm on a low fat/high protein diet this month 55% protein, 35% carbs, 10% fat

Next month I go back on to a 40/40/20 diet for the rest of the year in combination with starting my dare to shred program again 
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jun 23, 2015 6:39am
via Android

So really no one likes talking macros here.... geez.

Anyway I've been doing the 0.6 grams of protein per lbs for the past week or 2. One thing I've noticed so far is I took a really long time to heal. Not sure if that's due to the defecit of protein in my diet, or because I changes up training. Although, I've been feeling really good, been having some monster gym sessions so no lack in performance.  Will update again....

#staybeastly

23 Jun
Did you jack your carbs/fats up to compensate? I feel like a Titan when I'm high on carbs!
23 Jun
I'm dialing down my carbs over the next 2 weeks in time to start my next shred program. I'm gonna sacrifice any muscle growth for pure body fat burning & vascularity : )
23 Jun
Fat yes, carbs only on training days
23 Jun
My guess would be the cut back of protein for the healing process!
Image_thumb
342 Posts
Jun 23, 2015 4:27pm
via Android

I am staying at the same macros for the time being and I have sacraficed a little bit of muscle loss, but boy have I ever loss fat....lol
Protein 150g
Carbs 123g
Fats 22.5g
This diet is totally hard but I pat myself on the back, I have stuck to it for a month and will continue for the next program!
Then by Than my carbs should go up abit to start adding muscle!

23 Jun
23 Jun
I am trying, I have learnt you can't have it all.....lol
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 23, 2015 5:17pm

Next month I start another shred program (of my own design). The last time I did this was December and I lost 17lbs in the month and a significant amount of body fat. I managed to keep most of my muscle because I did heavy compound moves.

This next program will be a much greater amount of HIIT and weights-based cardio moves so I'm hoping to be even more successful. I'll do some deadlifting on some days coz I'm trying to get to the 500lb mark, but my diet might restrict me from doing it, we'll see.

As for my meal plan, my maintenance calories would normally be around 3100 calories of which 45% is protein, 35% carbs and 20% fats. For this program the weekly split will be as follows:

My protein will be 312g every day for the full 4 weeks

WEEK ONE: 2600 cals

Monday: protein 312g / carbs 257g / fats 29g

Tuesday: P 312g / C 192g / F 57g

Wednesday: P 312g / C 160g / F 71g

Thursday: P 312g / C 160g / F 71g

Friday: P 312g / C 64g / F 114g

Saturday: P 312g / C 64g / F 114g

Sunday: P 312g / C 160g / F 71g 

WEEK TWO: 2500 cals

WEEK THREE: 2400 cals

WEEK FOUR: 2300 cals

The carbs / fats percentages will drop in line with the calories but the protein will remain the same. The vast majority of the carbs will be eaten in the morning and lunch, with some saved for after my workout.

Takes a lot of pre-planning with the meals which I'll make on a Sunday and a Wednesday but the results were great back in December so it's worth the effort.

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jul 3, 2015 11:24pm
via Android

2000 calories a day
69 g carbs
45 g fat
350 g protein

This is my July intake goals. I'm eating nearly the same thing every single day. 1 cheat day, and only 2 days where I allow myself alcohol. That much protein,  for that little cals. That's my biggest challenge. 

04 Jul
That is one HELLUVA challenge Jovon!! My only advice would be that you need to have a higher carb day to "recharge"every 3 or 5 days. Incorporate it into your alcohol days and it'll fit in nicely
04 Jul
As for the protein... Egg whites, egg whites and more egg whites!
04 Jul
Yes sample bfast. 3 egg whites, onions, 1/2 cup of oats, can of salmon and protein aminos water
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 4, 2015 5:02am
via Android

This may be why I still have love handles, lol.  I eat a big breakfast and lunch...and I usually workout between breakfast and lunch.  But, after I workout my body is craving nutrients! 

It feels like I can't win.  If I eat lean for dinner I feel like I'm probably burning some fat stores but I'm not sure I'm getting enough nutrition to my body for recovery.  But if I eat a big dinner I feel replenished but I also feel like I'm not burning fat overnight. 

It's very hard to lift to build strength but also try to lose body fat at the same time.

07 Jul
Are you calorie or macro counting? Do you know your calorie maintenance level? Are you consistent with training and nutrition? These are the questions you must be truthful to yourself
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 5:20am
via Android

Fu**ing bump! People want results? Claim you "diet" is "good"
Pshhhh,  talk about your macros then!

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Jul 17, 2015 9:04pm
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Oct 12, 2015 3:56pm
via Android

I don't know why people never search the topics...I found this that way, I believe this needs a bump too.

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Dec 24, 2015 9:06am
via Android

Christmas Bumps

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 26, 2015 7:08pm
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Feb 1, 2016 6:12am
via Android

I read this about once a month.  Comments and all.
I constantly need the reminder :-)

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Feb 4, 2016 1:02pm
via iOS
Bump
Image_thumb
1 Post
Feb 5, 2016 4:17am
via Android

I'm new to this. I started my weight loss journey recently. I've been told counting macros would make a world of a difference but where do I start? How much of each should I intake? I workout 5 days a week.

07 Feb
I'm not an expert but I've been playing with my macros for a few months now. It depends on your goals. A good thing to do may to just eat "normal" for a few days and log what you eat on something like my fitness pal app or something similar (I use myfitness). See how you eat and what foods carry the most carbs and fats in you regular "normal" diet. You'd be surprised at how some foods you eat that you think are "healthy" carry a lot of carbs or fats. (Not that they aren't healthy they just might...
07 Feb
* that chia seeds and bananas
Image_thumb
269 Posts
Mar 16, 2016 11:38am
via iOS
And bump...
Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Mar 18, 2016 8:51am
via Android

I will post some stuff here about macros today. Hopefully I can find all the right links on work.

Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Mar 18, 2016 10:22am

The first thing about macros is that our body use the different macros for certain uses. I will try to explain a bit and lay out different ways of eating.

Protein ( http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-4-8 )

(For anyone who wants to learn about protein and exercise. ISSN is THE go to source. Download the pdf and have fun reading. I will explain in short.)

Protein is build up from different Amino Acids. Most of the Amino Acids our body is able to produce. The ones we cant produce ourselves are called the Essential Amino Acids. Which the most well known one is Leucine. Because Leucine plays a big part in Protein Synthesis in the human muscles.

Protein play a big role in the development of (skeletal) muscle. The body isnt very effecient in storing protein. That is why generally speaking ppl who train need to eat more protein that everage. Imo the lowest one should go is at arround 1,5 gram per body kg.( Thats arround 1,16 ounce per lbs ????). And you can go up to as much as your kcal intake allows. There are no proven health risks in eating high protein. SImply said protein are the building blocks ( Anabolic function of the body ) of the body. They prevent the body from breaking down muscle for energy ( catabolic function).

Carbohydrates.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/ 

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w8079e/w8079e0n.htm

Most will knows this, but carbs are the fuel to the body. There is still alot of discussion about alot of carbs related fields. Like do we really need them? Are we really going to die if we eat gluten? (crossfitters like to think so). And alot more. But what basicly happends is that the body breaks down the carbs into sugar. Our insuline levels go up to work with the carbs. Energy gets released in our  blood and sent trough our body. Our muscles use the energy (glycogen) to perform. Also our most imporant part of the brain works on carbs for the biggest part. The brain. So carbs are here for energy. We all know not every carbs is made equal. But thats a discussion for another topic.

Fats.

When we speak fats we have to consider a few things. Firstly saturated fats and unsaturated fats.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Saturated_Fats_vs_Unsaturated_Fats

Second is transfats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

Im not going into detail about them. Reading yourself is better.

For training fat is an difficult subject. Some people swear by fat. They even go as far as using it as their primarly energy source. This is named a ketogenic diet. SInce the body wont use carbs for energy. But will use Ketones digested out of fat as the source to power the brain and body. Most eat a moderate amount of fat. Which i peronally prefer. Fat has more than double the amount for kcal per gram compared to carbs and protein. Thats why alot of people cut down big time on fats during diets. I dont think this is wise. But how much you need is a thing you need to find out for yourself.

The percentage of what you need to eat or no exact science. This will depend on your goals and your body. But one thing is certain. Protein and (strenght) go hand in hand. Building and keeping muscle are strongly related to protein intake.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51