Weight going up not down!

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jun 24, 2015 11:03am
via iOS
gaaaaahhhhh
I know muscles weigh more than fat...but when will the weight go down?!
I monitor calories and nutrition, decreased caloric intake. Most of the time I burn more calories than I consume.
I workout everyday, increased my activity level.

Knowledge, experiences and suggestions welcome!
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Jun 25, 2015 1:35pm
via Android

Best thing I've learned to monitor progress is to hold your scale firmly in both hands...then with a smooth single motion through the wrists...toss it through the nearest (open) window.

The scale has been the single most important invention of frustration and disappointment ever.

Look at photos from 6 months ago. Compare them to photos from now. Pretty sure you will see a significant difference that trumps any number on the scale. Have your energy level increased? Has your self confidence increased when you're Not looking at the scale? Has you strength increased and clothes began to fit loser? These are valid markers of progress and "weight loss". Fat loss is more like it.

I've gotten on the scale at 6 am and seen 181, then for shitsandgiggles stepped on again later in the evening and it's said 178. The next day it would say 177. Later that day 179. Weight fluctuates, especially in women.

But if you're dead set on wanting to know your numbers; check first thing in the morning once a week. Recalculate your caloric needs for that week using the Mifflin - St Jeor equation (10 * weight(kg) + 6.25 * height(cm) - 5 * age(y) - 161 =BMR) and drop between 500 - 1000 calories from your BMR. (10 - 20% decrease )

Anything more than a 20% deficit  will be essentially starving yourself. Don't do that.

25 Jun
BMR being your basic metabolic rate
25 Jun
One more thing! Don't forget to multiply your BMR by your activity factor first before subtracting calories! I can't remember those exact numbers...here's the part where you get to research and self educate :-) have fun and good luck
25 Jun
Love your comment, been tempted to throw the scale out too often until I brought out my pre pregnancy jeans out, tried it on and voila! It fits. Not been able to wear that jeans since 3 years ago, purposely kept it to remind me that I could do it. So the scale is your worst enemy at this time don't give up.
Image_thumb
99 Posts
Jun 25, 2015 2:50pm
via Android

F**k the scales. #thatisall

01 Jul
I agree with Touma & DJ so true xx:-) i weighed myself today on a big one that also measures ur height and body fat % i was shocked i weigh more but have less body fat . More muscle i think xx:-)
02 Jul
Yeh im doing a picture diary and noticing alot of differences but the scale stays the same
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jun 25, 2015 11:19pm
via iOS
I know! Leave the scale alone, hide it, chuck it....gah! 

You're so right and I know better. Everything else has been improving though, like you've mentioned. I've always eaten well, so usually feel quite well on the inside. I have the motivation too, now that I'm in the swing of things.
I will try your calculations in the morning and make adjustments if needed.
Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply!
25 Jun
You're welcome. Thank you for not disappearing if it wasn't the answer you wanted. :-)
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jun 27, 2015 8:29am

Heh...do people bail out if they are faced with reality?! 

I'm also using myfitnesspal to monitor caloric intake, so I can tweak the settings a bit from your advice about weekly calculations. I've just been keeping the calories at the same level (reduced from normal), but I hadn't thought of changing it often as you've mentioned. So, that was also helpful. :)

27 Jun
Yes they do. Often! ***also please make sure you remember to multiply your BMR x activity level, before you subtract your 10 -20%
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 6:50pm
via iOS
OK, thank you! 
I haven't weighed myself since I started this post. Measurements yesterday revealed where my progress has been happening! Everything but one was either the same or lower. Yay me!
I might join you for your July challenge. How does it work?
29 Jun
Quite simple really; go to the Team#BeastModeCamp thread, and there's a list if wo's under the July challenge. Throughout the month you'll do one wo per day (minus one day a week for rest if needed) completing each workout at least once. Making it through all of them and a few twice will definitely be a challenge and a personal triumph come the end of July. Enjoy
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jul 1, 2015 9:21am
via iOS
Thanks! Looks awesome...but above my comfort zone for now. I'll check back in August if there is another one. :)
01 Jul
When they're outside your comfort zone is the best time to try them. They're challenges. They aren't supposed to be in your comfort zone
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jul 3, 2015 7:08am
via iOS
Heh! I thought you might say that. I appreciate what you're saying, and I'm already really challenging myself. I do workouts every day. I just know where my fail point is and I don't want to get discouraged while I'm just starting up. :)
Thanks for the encouragement!
03 Jul
Fair enough :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51