Doing leg workouts barefoot?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 2:19pm
via Android

So, I just got back into the fit life recently and today is leg day...which I love! I prefer to go moderate on the weight and barefoot. I've been finding doing moderately weighted lunges, squats and deadlifts barefoot on a mat increases the use of all the smaller balancing muscles and tendons as well as all the large muscle groups! The day after I can feel that everything got worked!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else does barefoot routines or if it's even recommended or dangerous?

And once again, I only go moderately heavy. I would never feel comfortable squatting for max while barefoot.

29 Jun
I do it too but i don't know if it's good
29 Jun
Arnold use to. I think if I tried at my gym they'd say put on shoes. I heard converse are a good option too
29 Jun
Yea it sounds like the natural balance of your feet is better. Just for a full leg routine and everything feels great. And without the shoes I had to focus more and balance better. Especially on lunges. I definitely prefer barefoot!
29 Jun
if you check out a lot of bodybuilders they wear Converse style shoes so their feet are flat on the ground, and that's why others (including me when I'm not getting told off by gym staff) go barefoot. By having your feet flat on the ground it improves your posture and ensures the correct muscles are being used rather than shifting weight on to the back or shoulders.
29 Jun
Thanks a lot Scotty! It seems unanimous that everyone sees barefoot as more beneficial. I'm glad to hear all of this because I was just listening to my body but I was starting to wonder if I was doing damage somehow. Now I can chill on the worry and go hard!
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 2:54pm
via Android

Anyone? Lol

30 Jun
I love my vibrams I have heard to take it slow tho when u start out barefoot or vibram. If you have worn shoes whole adult life then Achilles has shortened an muscles I. Feet atrophy. So highly susceptible to Achilles tear or other injury to feet. But. Once you get going you will love it. Balance and explosion increase and running is much faster on balls of feet with Achilles working properly as a spring basically
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 3:11pm
via Android

I would think so, most places recommend flat sole trainers. BUT

I read a study on trainers after a tribe who ran barefooted beat some professional runners with microchiped custom built trainers. 

The study was examining why the tribe won and the results was quite controversial, it seemed Nike had been lying to us to sell trainers and other companies following suit.

Basically the arch of the foot is our natural suspension, our toes are the stablisers, our feet spread as it hits the floor, they are even covered in hard skin to protect them.

When we put on trainers or shoes we lose that natural ability of our feet and injuries become more common...Nike didn't fight this criticism as you would of expected thiu they didnt except it either, instead they brought out Nike Free trainers that allow more natural flex of the foot and are lighter, Asics followed with emphasis on pronouncation which way you lean on your foot.

Vibram went a 'step' further and brought out some slip on ballet shoes with toes.

The main idea is they protect the foot from debris etc.

See if you can find it on YouTube was quite interesting...does relate exactly to what you was asking but there is some cross over.

I would agree that barefooted does increase stability as I do kickboxing barefooted which includes weighted squats, lunges, skipping etc.

29 Jun
This is awesome Matt! Thanks a lot and I'll definitely be reading that article :-)
Icon_missing_thumb
15 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 4:08pm
via Android

Almost every time I work out I'm barefoot. It's fun.

29 Jun
It is fun :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51