Drinking after a workout?

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 12:48am
via Android

I usually workout before lunch and at dinner I sometimes enjoy a glass of red with a good meal. I know red wine has lots of health benefits like antioxidants.

My question is will the alcohol negate why workout? The reason I ask is that I sometimes feel low on energy after having a drink.

30 Jun
I have tried not drinking for a few months to see if my energy improved and found that it is no different than when I enjoy a few drinks at night. There's a lot of evidence that a few drinks daily is good for ya. Polyphenols and all that
30 Jun
That's what I thought!
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 1:14am
via Android

Anyone?

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 4:08am
via Android

Energy wise will truly depend person to person. But from a physiological stand point, alcohol is all around bad for muscular hypertrophy.  So if you are very serious about gains you should think twice about drinking. Also if you are looking for a shredded physique, alcohol is counter intuitive for that goal. Hope this helps or what not.

30 Jun
That's completely true. Also alcohol stops burning fat immediately. The poitive effects you can have from other fruits, without the bad side effects from alcohol. Though, if you drink a glass for pleasure, it's ok. Just know about the bad side of it.
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 11:58am
via Android

Thx Jovon. Do you think one glass is enough to really effect gains or does it require a certain amount of alcohol? 

01 Jul
1 glass a week, 1 glass everyday? Everyday probably not a good choice, but experiment with it. Everyone is different. I'll inbox you an article you can read about alcohol and the effects it has on muscular hypertrophy
01 Jul
Oooh interested to read that article jovon. Could you forward to me pls??
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 4:51pm

The way I view alcohol is the same way I view food. When I'm being strict with myself and have a specific goal I'll not have a drink the same way I'll not have a large plate of nachos.

When I'm feeling relaxed about the way I look or just wanna take a break I'll allow myself a drink but I'll try to fit in with my daily calories and macros. So given how high in carbs it is I'll have mostly protein all day up to the point I have a drink.

On other days though I look at it like this... If I don't just say "f*ck the calories and f*ck the macros. I want a drink dammit" then I'll get cranky. So I have a drink!

From a fitness perspective you'll never see alcohol being recommended as part of a diet plan, but you'll also hear trainers saying one glass won't kill ya so I'll always revert back to what I always say...

"Unless you wanna compete or get into single digit bodyfat numbers don't take it too seriously. Eat and drink healthy 80-90% of the time, try not to binge, and you can't go far wrong"

30 Jun
Thx Scotty, I'm not going THAT hardcore with my training but I'm getting really freaking sick of these love handles...they just won't go away :-(
30 Jun
That ain't one glass of wine a day man. That's your overall diet. I feel your pain
Image_thumb
215 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 5:36pm
via Android

Oh just let me add: least it's better to workout and drink, than just to drink lol... just after very hard sessions, you should avoid alc for a better regeneration.

30 Jun
Yea I did the drinking and no working out thing back in my younger days...when I actually had a metabolism, lol
30 Jun
Didn't we all do it;)
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 1, 2015 4:14pm
via Android

Lot's of sugars, I think as long as u don't over do it shouldn't be a problem

Image_thumb
172 Posts
Jul 2, 2015 11:59am
via Android

When I drank in the past and did some sports I never lost a gram....since I totally stopped 1 year and a few month ago, I train harder and lost 20 kg. The first 7 were really easy and fast to loose even without changing my sport routine, that was clearly the alcool stopping me to burn fat.I get much more energy since I stopped and increased my workout intensity, quantity, quality.

04 Jul
Very interesting and thank you for the info!
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 4, 2015 4:40am
via Android

Thx for all the feedback everyone.  Seems to be a consensus that it's definitely going to impede weight loss progress. I'll reserve it for special occasions until I reach my goal weight.

To be honest, I really like the idea of a glass of red a day or every other day.  I think the antioxidants are definitely beneficial but even more so as a stress reliever.  That may sound bad to some people but there's plenty of cultures that live this lifestyle and they seem to be less stressed and in my opinion stress is a very underrated health threat that a lot of people ignore.

04 Jul
Do what you think/feel good for you:-) no matter what other thinks

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51