Who gives a F*&k about their BMI?

25 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
459 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:15am
via Android

For many, knowing their BMI; body mass index, has its benefits when determining things such as Total Daily Energy Expenditure and calculating optimal calorie intake for losing, gaining, or maintaining weight.
For others, this number feels like a black cloud hanging over their head, and no matter what they do...they are still plagued with being classified as overweight.

Here's the solution...stop giving a f..k about your BMI.

the science: BMI = weight in pounds/(height in inches x height in inches) x 703.
Or weight(kg)x height(m)2 (squared)

So myself for example : 180/(71x71)x703 = roughly 25.1

Guess what, I'm overweight.

The BMI was created for the government about 200 years ago by Lambert Quetelet. He was a mathematician. Not a doctor or a physician or anything. A really smart math guy. The government needed a way to tell the overall obesity level of a population. So this really smart guy came up with a quick way to solve their problem. 200 years ago. That's like in year 2250, the guy that figured out using paper clips to loop your zipper around you pants button will be held as a genius.

Anyway,
It doesn't not take into account bone density, muscle tone, nor fat.
I'm about 12% body fat. And overweight according to the CDC, let's not forget that part. Oh, and the height being squared? That was done as so the formula would fit the data. Yeaa, do with that what you will.

Basically folks, do not hold this all powerful (sarcasm) 200 year old mystical number as the gospel. It is a tool, not the best, but a tool nonetheless in helping to determine other factors. Do not let yourself become downtrodden because a group of men and women elected to use some really old , but really smart, also really dead guy's 2 century old mathematical McGuiver hack to tell you you're obese , or underweight, or ever ideal (which is a f..king joke in itself)
Base your progress and your goals on how you feel, how clothes fit, on how you're progressively able to walk longer, run faster, feel refreshed, lift more, or even just lift. These should be our bases for fitness. Not a number. Albeit a weight scale, or a BMI.
Take care folks. Stay hungry. Stay humble. And ALWAYS be the hardest working motherlover you know.

#beastmodecamp #CampLife #earnit

07 Jul
I think I just told someone who cares about bmi
09 Jul
Love your blogs and posts D.J.! You keep it real and you're an inspiration for others just through words. :)
09 Jul
You're welcome :-)
Image_thumb
99 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:29am
via Android

Well apparently im obese haha if i was to care about my BMI id be going through severe depression right now. Imagine being called obese

07 Jul
Don't worry when I start my mass gain plan in October I will be considered obese as well
07 Jul
Hahaha fat is the new fit baby!
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:35am
via iOS
Scotty's BMI says he's chronically obese but he sure looks good in speedos!!! 
07 Jul
If you didn't guess, Scotty typed that! Lol. I'm obese too!
07 Jul
WTF?!?? I was in the shower?????
07 Jul
We're all obese! Isn't that interesting?! :-)
07 Jul
Haha Erin that's funny!
07 Jul
Haha here we go with the speedos. Man I told you, if you want your greencard they're going to hold the speedos against you. Bagaaha
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:39am
via Android

I've always thought bmi was complete and total bs!  According to bmi I should weigh what I weighed in my sophomore year of high school...i wasn't even a full grown man then and was weak as f@&k! 

Thanks for the history on how it came to be though...that I found more interesting than bmi itself.

07 Jul
Lol. Exactly. I think the 'ideal' BMI suggested is usually what we weighed in school. Just have to see my yearbook to know that's so not how I want to look again.
07 Jul
I know right! It's ridiculous, lol.
Image_thumb
134 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:40am
via Android

I love this sooo much!! U are right in every way possible! If I go by my BMI I am morbidly obese and I just don't believe that. I like to think of myself as just a little squishy. Something to hold on too. LOL

07 Jul
According to bmi we're all obese and should striving for that stack of bones look!
07 Jul
Lmao!! For real! Who really wants to look like a twig. Not me. I just want to be healthy and lean
07 Jul
I just ate a macaroon to make sure that won't happen.lol
07 Jul
Hahahaha love it Hadi!
07 Jul
Mmmm macaroons :-)
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 4:17am
via Android

I have a lot of problems with the fda, aacsm, and really the government.

But my problems with bmi:

1). body mass index wasn’t designed to judge individuals weight, rather it was designed to "judge" weight of the entire population. For studies on a massive scale and what not.
2). The formula was created to determine the body mass of men, not women.
3). BMI doesn’t differentiate between fat and muscle.

And sorry in advanced if you have noted this in your post DJ. As you can see I didn't read the whole thing lol

*did you know this bmi formula was created in the 1830s* hmmmm

07 Jul
Haha yes all points except for men were noted. Including the 1800s. The CDC states this formula to be fact. It is not. It is indeed lying by scientific authority.
Image_thumb
65 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 1:55pm

Apparently I'm teetering between overweight and normal. . . I'll have to let me bikini know. . . .

Image_thumb
159 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 2:36pm
via Android

I don't believe in it too. I look stupidly skinny for a person with 21% BF . Maybe it's just my longer narrower body frame. I remember how I looked at lower body fat and it makes me cringe to even look at those old photos now. I am never going back to that again. I only trust me mirror.

07 Jul
Wait, you're Not a baby sloth?! :-)
07 Jul
No more than a meditating monkey ;) lol
07 Jul
Touché.
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jul 7, 2015 10:39pm
via Android

According to mine im severely obese! I'm overweight and chunky yes but it can be hard to not listen to people who tell you otherwise.

07 Jul
I know it can be difficult, but try to remember to see it this way: people are generally stupid. Especially those whom think they have power or knowledge over others. And then everyone else just kinda falls in line with that. For example; here in the 21st century there there are those whom hold dear to a 200 year old 19th century equation. Remember, 200 years before that, in the 17th century, people still thought the world was flat. Don't let backwards thinking hold you down. The more people believe they're morbidly obese, with little knowledge, the more people who...
09 Jul
Caroline, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm 5' 5" with medium build, 32 years old and I weigh 185 today. My BMI is 30.8 according to CDC, which makes me "Obese." But most people see me and don't think I weigh anywhere close to 185 nor do I look "Obese" - I have cheerleader legs (as many say) and enough arm power to beat many guys at arm wrestling. But I'm new to working out and getting fit. So ho
09 Jul
Didn't finish my comment before hitting "Post." So how about let's work together to feel great, eat better and do this one day at a time? Yes?! :) ;)
09 Jul
Hey Cindy im up for that :D
Image_thumb
95 Posts
Jul 8, 2015 6:38am
via iOS
Do not care for BMI. Agree with virtually all of the noted shortcomings.  At 5'9", 186 lbs. I fall solidly in the overweight range. I disagree.
Image_thumb
214 Posts
Jul 8, 2015 12:42pm
via Android

Mine says I'm underweight though...

But both BMI and the frickin' scale can't see my progress and how healthy I am now, so I'm just gonna ignore them

08 Jul
Best thing to do :-)
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Jul 17, 2015 9:46pm
via Android

Bumppppp

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Jul 17, 2015 10:18pm
via iOS
Thanks Hadi, I hadn't seen this one yet!
According to the Dr and the Army I'm morbidly obese. I'm also 4'11" tall. The army says I should weigh 128lbs...really!? But they give me a 36% in body fat so that means I can weigh 170lbs so long as my waist is at like 34 and my hips are at like 39-40. Still makes me obese according to the dr. 
Image_thumb
134 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 4:04am
via Android

Bring it on up!!

Adobephotoshopexpress_2013_12_04_19_48_56_thumb
57 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 5:57am
via Android

Could careless about BMI, but body fat%... yes. Overall, I I'm not a number and could careless.

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Aug 10, 2015 10:52am

Here you go Rosie!

10 Aug
I was thinking the same thing
10 Aug
It's a sagi thing J. Don't question it. Lol
11222250_998035023563957_3065871610464067709_n_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 11, 2015 1:13pm
via Android

I've refreshed my bmi multiple times and yes I agree it's a crock of s***. Ur head alone weighs 10 lbs that's not fat muscles weigh more than fat. This chart is completely inaccurate. I'm 5ft even my projected healthy weight based on my bmi is 113 lbs which is bad I've been down that small before and I've gotta say I looked sick and didn't feel healthy at all. I'm not going to say I'm healthy now but I'm trying to work on that but my goal is 120-130 not 113 once again the government is stupid.

11 Aug
Lol. Breathe girl haha.
Image_thumb
612 Posts
Aug 12, 2015 2:44pm
via Android

I had my bmi taken at 31 at the docs.  I am in great shape and the nurse still have me the BMI speech lol

Image_thumb
134 Posts
Aug 26, 2015 2:45am
via Android

I love this post. Needs to stay at the top for everyone to read.

Image_thumb
134 Posts
Sep 21, 2015 10:00pm
via Android

Bumppppppp!

Image_thumb
459 Posts
Oct 16, 2015 7:54am
via Android

Gold.

Image_thumb
134 Posts
Oct 27, 2015 1:12am
via Android

Platinum ;-)

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Oct 29, 2015 3:48am
via iOS
Premium! 
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Oct 29, 2015 9:38am
via Android

I don't look at BMI.. for me it's all about inches, muscle% and fat%. Muscle weighs  heavier than fat. BMI is outdated.

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Dec 24, 2015 9:05am
via Android

Christmas Bumps

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51