Motivation After Traumatic Injury

5 posts | Original | Recent
57 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 6:17am
via Android

A couple of months ago I was in a caving accident and approximately a 50lb boulder destroyed my left foot and partially amputated my toes.

I had temporary pins in my toes and foot so my bones could mend along with several skin grafts. The pins are removed, grafts took, and for the most part it's physical therapy 3 times a week for months.

I was told by my surgeon I would be able to resume full activity but it would be months before I can even attempt running.

At the moment all I can do is walk, more like learning to walk again. I went in my home gym tonight for the first time since my accident it hit me how much work I have ahead of me.

Before my accident I was working on squatting 2 times my body weight and was about half way there. I worked hard for 3 years getting my body fat% down and starting over seems so hard.

Just looking for suggestions on how to get through the next few months.

385 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 7:44am
via Android

Wow...sorry to hear about your accident, sounds pretty bad...

Every race starts with the first long as you taking that step and keep going you will get where you want to be, there are no buts or if about it.

Your strength and endurace may of decreased since the accident but it will quickly return...and hitting that pre accident state will be an achievement.

Now you have to push yourself to take that first step....

821 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 8:03am
via Android

I give you big standing ovation for being determined to get back on the grind. Most people would not even try.

I've never had a traumatic accident such as yours, but I have dealt with a lot of injuries.  I think swimming or an eliptical are your best bet. I don't know what equipment you have available.  A rower would help build strength again. Even though the things I've mentioned are not strength training they will activate muscle fibers that haven't been used much. And that is the key.  Getting those fibers fired up again.

Anyway, I'm glad you are recovering.  I wish you the best.

57 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 7:55pm
via Android

Thanks for all the support. I'm going to try the Elliptical and rowing. My Cardio has gone down the drain. I have full gym at home, guess I should put some of the machines to use :) Once again thanks for all the kind words.

38 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 10:42pm
via Android

They say a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. Just have your goal(s) in mind and take every day one at a time.

That might all sound clichéd but to begin with it will be your motivation, guts and willpower that keeps you going. You don't sound like a quitter so don't be one.

Good luck and keep going.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51