LET'S TALK PROTEIN SHAKES

23 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jul 27, 2015 3:42pm

I've read a lot of topics over recent months asking (1) what kind of protein shakes should I drink? (2) when should I drink them? (3) How many should I have?

Can I ask some questions?..... (1) Do you know WHY you are drinking protein in the first place? (2) Most importantly, do you know how much protein you should be having each day?

Let's break this down into some simple facts:

- Protein shakes contain calories so if you don't know how much to have, and why, then all you are doing is simply flooding your body with calories you might not need. If your goal is to lose weight then you are hitting a brick wall

- Food, good 'ol wholesome food, is much better than a protein shake. That is a very simple fact. So why do bodybuilders drink them? Athletes? Simple....

(1) They have to consume much more protein than you do and couldn't possibly eat it all

(2) They get paid to promote them

So, unless you can't eat the protein your body needs then that's the only reason you need to buy protein shakes.

**Disclaimer time!** I am not a professional, nor a trainer. This is simply my opinion

27 Jul
Can't agree more. I've never had and never needed such chemical stuff so far. Most ppl do it without having a clue and just because they think they look cool and if they're lifting heavy. And most of them look like real wussies on the bench.
27 Jul
I drink protein shakes some months, but only when I can't consume enough. Last month I was on a high protein diet and needed 320g of protein. No WAY was I gonna be able to eat that much. Now I'm into a carb cycling diet I don't need them as much though and only drink one when needed. Too many people think they have to drink them because they are at the gym. I'd rather eat a chicken salad!
27 Jul
Agreed, 320g is a lot and can't be eaten - but this is a rare exception and you're a big guy with the needs and the muscles close to a bodybuilder. The pathetic guys I see drinking it simply don't. One can easily bench 100 pounds without ;-)
27 Jul
haha thanks Matthias. I agree on the wrong people drinking them. For me it's the heavily overweight who drink them on the way out of the gym while I'm drinking ice water. Far too much hype on protein drinks.
27 Jul
Thank you so much for saving the forums from eternal damnation, Scotty. I was beginning to worry. For that I thank you. This is a good post worth reading.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jul 27, 2015 3:42pm
via iOS
WANT TO LOSE OR GAIN WEIGHT: READ THIS!!!

And this is how you calculate how much protein your body needs  
Jul 27, 2015 7:06pm
via Android

My ex bf he is a trainer used to bring me those proteine shakes! At first i refused to take them! Then he tried to convince me to drink them! So i did!
Now that we broke up! I dont even think to buy them! I rather spend my money buying food and enjoy eating them. So I do my own proteine shake :
skimmed milk + almond powder + penuts powder + flaxseed powder! I add some chocolates flavor to make it tasty and i drink right after workout!
OR after workout i simply have proteine dinner like tuna fish crabs chicken eggs served with salad ! Few times vegetable proteines like ....beans but they cause bloating and i dont want to spend all night farting looooool :P
I diversify to not get bored!

27 Jul
Clean and natural, you're doing it right. Always an inspiration Rubi!
05 Sep
Thank you Rudy. Well said!
05 Sep
Rubi. Sorry for the mistake
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 27, 2015 9:14pm
via Android

You could mix your own protein shake.
Like stir bananas with milk/Greek yoghurt and add nut butter and berries for vitamin, honey to sweeten and nuts or coconut for more natural protein. If you want to add protein powder?

28 Jul
When I am eating a lot. That's how my shake looks. The fruits, Greek yogurt, honey, 3 eggs, milk, a little ice cream and then the isolate.
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 4:38am
via Android

Not even a week and I bet someone will be asking...

'What's the best protein to lose weight?'

Or

'20 pressup a day...Thinking of starting protein'

I always say get protien from food, it will always be best option...

I do use protein but then I lost 3lb last year, so It works for me and I tried a new brand yesterday...It's the best ever, haha :-P

28 Jul
What brand matt. And yeah we all know these questions will never end.
28 Jul
I was being sarcastic Jovon...but I do use protein, either Phd Pharma ht+, Gold standard, recently nutrisport Isolate as its cheaper than above and double amount. I use it for muscle and strengh gains rather than weight loss though.
Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 9:42am
via Android

Hey Scotty can u provide me the link to our bulking up program? I'm really lookin forward to bulk up a bit? Suggest any tips, I got no gym access but  some dumbells and ankle weights.

28 Jul
They are in my created workouts file on my profile Chirag. There are 3 programs. You can either do the POWER TRIP or the R.I.P.PED UP program. It's the nutrition that bulks you up and I'll put a link on this topic
Image_thumb
171 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 1:44pm
via Android

What do you guys think about protein shakes if you struggle to eat enough in general though? I usually make mine like this: 1 frozen banana, pea protein(plain) natural peanut butter, cocoa powder and unsweetened almond milk.

28 Jul
That would be the only reason I would take protein shakes. Now I'm only having 135g of protein a day I can easily get that from food. At other times I have to supplement with protein shakes though or I'd be eating 20 eggs a day! You're doing it the right way Silje, but just try to eat what you can
29 Jul
Okay thank you :) I agree with you, real food is the best but not always possible for me...
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 4:15pm
via iOS
29 Jul
Thanks a lot Scot!
Image_thumb
342 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 4:19pm
via Android

Hahaha I am not going to lieI take protein shakes as the person who has set me up on my diet has calculated everything for me!

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Jul 28, 2015 6:45pm
via Android

Good advise. However, I love my protein shakes and will defend their honor! You are so correct, but I think protein supplements get a bad rap. I always say, schedule protein supplements around your meals... don't use them as a  replacement meal. Protein is such an essential macro, it can help you reach your goal no matter what it is. Also, protein helps you feel more satiated, so it can help cut down on the amount an individual eats. Plus, I poop better when I drink whey. Just watch the sugar content.

28 Jul
I don't think anyone is anti-protein shakes, It's as you say bad rep -Most people don't need that amount of protein even with general fitness, some people with liver problems shouldn't even think of taking it...It's marketers fault for rebranding it as a miracle weight loss supplement. But for building muscle mass it has benefits! The problem is most studies are conducted by marketers which will always show what they want rather than unbiased information and the biased studies become wide spread.
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 2:04am
via Android

I agree that hands down the single best source of protein is dead animals. Fish, chicken breast, lean beef, those sorts.
It's highly debatable what works and what dosent work for some or others losing or gaining when it comes to protein supplements.
It's not an exact science, every body responds differently. Regardless of fact, what needs to be taken into consideration if you so choose to supplement is doing your research into the product. Same as any. When you want a new car you research and ask around for months before pulling the trigger. Same thing with a cell phone. I know some that do the same thing with headphones.
Point is, there's a lot of people who hear " need protein" and run out and grab the first bottle they see that package promises the best results. This is a dangerous road to take.
Many companies;  such as Giant Sports, MusclePharm, CVS Health, 4 Dimension Nutrition, NBTY and Inner Armour, have been and are currently under law suit for "nitrogen spiking".
Basically, they advertise 60% protein,  yet lab tests show there to be only about 44% protein. The rest is mostly an amino acid spike. So basically do your research into any product you plan on putting into your body to ensure you're getting what you need.
You get what you pay for.

30 Jul
Animal doesn't have to be dead. If you treat its wounds from where you cut off your treat, you can get multiple meals. #DonnerParty
30 Jul
#bwhahaha. #truestory
Image_thumb
612 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 5:35am
via Android

I have one shake daily of high protein zero carb stuff.  I make the usual with banana,  peanut butter etc. 

The purpose is purely to bump those calorie and protein intake up.   The majority of protein for me comes from meat etc

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 10:35am
via Android

This is an interesting thread.  There's no question that natural animal/plant based proteins are superior to anything from a lab!  However, for the last year I've been taking a whey protein shake after every workout; and just this month I started taking a casein protein shake bedtime.  I take them to reach certain macro balances and to help my body recover. Until last year, I've never taken protein shakes or any other supplements...not even a multivitamin. 

My logic has always been if it's man made then it's almost never as good as a natural source.  And, it's probably got something harmful added to it like sugar, artificial coloring, etc... Basically, I would never completely trust a company as they are always run by businessmen who's main concern is the bottom line $

I'm still not sure how I feel about taking protein shakes.  My main worry is how my liver and kidneys are going to process all of it.  We all like to post beast mode pics with lions and shit, lol....which is great for workout motivation but humans probably aren't made to process 300 grams of protein a day!  But, I'm not an expert at all....just my thoughts on the topic :-)

Image_thumb
71 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 1:51pm
via iOS
I'd prefer to get my protein from what I'd call a much more natural source. Eggs, Milk. Soya, Nuts, Greek yogurt, Fish and my favourite one of all, Chicken. 
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 5:20pm

Thanks for wheying in (get it?!?!) with your comments everyone!

This topic came about because I've been asked to help a few people recently with their meal plans to help them lose weight, and one person couldn't understand why she wasn't losing weight when she was having 3 shakes a day instead of food - when I looked at the info from what she provided she was eating around 1000-1200cals a day but was drinking an additional 600-800cals in the protein itself, on top of the fact she was having it with milk, so her cals were way over what she thought she was having.

On top of that she was eating back her calories because she was logging the calories burnt without realising that the calories she should have already took this into account so there was no need to "eat back".

In short, what I'm saying is you need to know what calroies you should have, how much protein, and work your numbers out before flooding your body with calories you might not need and starving yourself in the process!

Image_thumb
39 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 2:23am
via Android

lol

Image_thumb
39 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 2:25am
via Android

Thanks Scotty. You answered my question. I was contemplating substituting a meal for a protein shake in order to lose weight but you just removed all doubt.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jul 31, 2015 9:38am
via Android

Which brand isolate should i take.....n which one is bettr protien shake or isolate ....cn i take pre workout with isolate or protien.......

Aug 1, 2015 4:00am
via Android

bump

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 3:23pm
via Android

♩♬Shake shake shake....shake shake shake....shake your...oh...erm..protein?

Image_thumb
385 Posts
Aug 13, 2015 11:38am
via Android

I emailed skimble over a year ago saying they should add 'stickys' at the top of forum!

13 Aug
What is stickys?
13 Aug
Rubi,the posts that are always at the top of a forum
13 Aug
Oh okay thanks Adam
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Aug 23, 2015 3:05pm
via Android

More info bumping

Sep 13, 2015 4:39am
via Android

bump

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51