When to stretch?

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 10:56am
via Android

Good morning fam!

So, in having conversations about training philosophies with fellow skimblers I've noticed that opinions vary on this topic.

Personally, I've gotten into the habit of always stretching first because for me it loosens up my body and increases my range of motion. Since doing this I've noticed fewer aches, pains and minor strains. I also think it's helped my recovery time as well. But, others have told me they only stretch after workouts.

When do u stretch and why?

29 Jul
Before workouts...Once you have stretched your muscles, you effectively carry on streching with resistance during your workout so no need at the end...Your muscles will tighten up hours later which is when after stretching is beneficial to keep lactic acid forming, relive stiffness.
29 Jul
Yeah everyone has their own view on this one, I personally stretch after a workout and before just do a quick cardio warm up..certain body parts like calves and hamstrings I do stretch before I hit them hard because mine tend to cramp up if I just go straight into beast mode with them...suppose you just have to find what works for you
29 Jul
All the time because it feels so darn good!!! When in doubt... Stretch it out!!!!
29 Jul
I would not stretch before. Stretching relaxes the muscles so you have a bigger chance to cause injury, I would do it after It'll help the muscle fibers as well
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 10:58am
via Android

By the way, if anyone has any detailed info or article links on the topic...that would be great! 

Thanks again

29 Jul
I dont have a link, I read the above a long time ago
Jul 29, 2015 11:20am
via Android

I remember that during my martial arts period we always stretched twice: at the beginning (after the warm up) we did dynamic stretches and then at the very end of every training we had a longer session of mostly static stretches. I suppose it depends what you need it for: when your muscles get tired, it's easier to stretch further, cos they don't block it anymore.

29 Jul
That's interesting. I've also heard the stretching before lifting can weaken your lifting power. Not sure if it's true or not
29 Jul
People confuse stretching with trying to rip their muscles in two...I've seen some in my gym straining and red faced stretching...It's to much, muscle are like elestic bands stretch it to much and you strain it or worse snap/tear them lightly just to the point of feeling the stretch is enough...limber enough to increase weight....which is what I do every week/fortnight, due to work/kids is drops again by time O get back in !
29 Jul
Agree with adam dynamic stretching before ( Heiko has a good one) you need to move about things like arm circles, leg swings to warm up the muscles and after static stretches quad stretches, hamstring Stretches shoulder stretches .:-)
Image_thumb
43 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 12:16pm
via iOS
Suppose to stretch before you workout 
Image_thumb
71 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 1:45pm
via iOS
Stretching before working out is wrong. You should never stretch a cold muscle. Always warm up first before stretching. Jog on the spot or just walk up and down some stairs. The best way to get injured is to do silly static stretches before you have even warmed up. 
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 2:05pm
via iOS
All the time because it feels so darn good!!! When in doubt... Stretch it out!
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 2:22pm
via Android

Hello Christian
Me personally I stretch whenever I can because it makes me feel better and my muscles get elastic .
There are 2 types of stretching ; dynamic and static .
Before a workout I used to do the dynamic one to be more explosive , faster...
and after the training to cool down I do the static stretchings.
I hope I could help you with these infos

29 Jul
Thx a lot Mike! This is a big help :-)
29 Jul
Not 4 that buddy , take care :)
29 Jul
I didn't even realize there was a difference in stretches. Looks like I've been doing static stretches only.
29 Jul
Yeah...many people ignore the dynamic one get injured and confirm that they stretch before the training . The thing is , they do the wrong one cus they wanna give 100% after the (static) stretch though the muscles aren't ready
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 4:31pm
via Android

Dynamic stretches pre workout.
    - improves blood flow to the muscles to prepare them for activity and decrease your chance for injury.

The old way of static stretches prior to workouts has been shown to elongate the muscle, weaken it and predispose you to a higher risk for injury.

Static stretches are okay post workout, but I still prefer a lower level dynamic stretch program post workout.

29 Jul
I'll do no more than a bit of steady state cardio to get the blood flowing, but prefer to do "throw-away" sets with lighter weight on the exercise I'm going to start my workout. If I'm really sore or worn out I'll do some foam rolling
29 Jul
Love the foam roller and/or tiger paw.
29 Jul
I also like to do throw away sets. But I am a big fan of ramping up.
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jul 29, 2015 7:07pm
via Android

Yo good topic man.

I'll say this. There is no studies that prove stretching before any workouts help you lift more or increase injury prevention. Also most people do very rudimentary stretches before a workout. Like high school PE.

There is however proven data that says foam rolling will increase workload and prevent injury. Also things like pigeon pose, plow pose, and wheel will loosen up any stuck cartilage.  Also look up crossfit t-spine mobility workout,  I've been doing this with 2 lacrosse balls before lifting. And it hurts like hell but I swear you feel so loose afterwards.

As for post workout stretches, I haven't seen and proven data that says it is beneficial.  However I do read more about post workout stretches than I do about pre workout stretching.  And the claims are it will help recovery time. It will activate more protein synthesis. And it will prevent injury from occurring in the future. I myself will probably start stretching afterwards.

29 Jul
Forget to mention rotational squats and bear crawls or spiderman walks will get the hip flexor loose as well as loosen up that thoracic spine.
30 Jul
Thx for all the info Jovon! I REALLY need to get a foam roller. It's been on my list for like a year but everytime I go to the store I end up getting other "toys" instead, lol. Typical dude, lol.
31 Jul
Did someone say plow pose?!?
02 Aug
Lol Jackie!
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 30, 2015 12:15am
via Android

Thx to everyone for taking the time to comment on this topic.  I ended up doing some additional reading online and learned a lot about dynamic vs static stretching.  I think I'm going to modify my pre and post workout regimen and I think I'll have improved results! 
Thanks again fam

30 Jul
Great topic Christian. I wanted to know this too. Thanks, All the best for you :)
30 Jul
Thx Rudy, yea I hope this helps others too! Have a lovely day :-)
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 5:41pm
via iOS
I stretch whenever i have time, but i make sure to always stretch right after I wale and before I go to sleep because Im trying to increase my height
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 3:46pm
via Android

Hey fam, so after all the great feedback I did more research into dynamic stretching before working out and I created a 9 minute full body routine based around dynamic stretches and movements.  Hope it works well for people who try it and let me know if you have any suggestions.  Have a great day fam

Dynamic Stretches & Fluid Movements (CS)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51