My dance with 108...

59 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 2:56am
via iOS
My spiritual cleansing path began many years ago, without a doubt there have been plenty of bumps along the way. My spiritual path and my fitness (physical) path were often two separate paths. I compartmentalize them resulting in an willingness to commit to either one fully for me to accomplish the goals I was after. Now, in the moment, my spiritual and physical paths are entwined and I have never felt better. I practice yoga daily and Buddhism in a constant in my heart and mind.

With that, I just completed 40 days (40 days is a complete full cycle of the psyche) of reading and practicing the ancient Sanskrit Sutras. I abstained from drinking and a few others things during that period of time. To celebrate my accomplishment, I decided to delve farther into my spiritual and physical path in yoga.

My goal for August is to complete the Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) in a 108 continuous sequence. This is going to a monotonous task and I am so looking forward to what it may bring up within me.

I begin my day with the Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) and do it often as it's a great warm up and full body workout. So, why 108 times?? First off, 108 is a Sacred number. For myself it is important because there are 108 defilements in Buddhism and they say there are a total of 108 energy lines converging to and from the heart chakra. To complete this would be Paramount to my practice.

I've laid out my practice and will use this to track myself. I would like to complete this twice this month.

Week one and week two:

Each day:
Basic (morning/dawn)
25 set practice

Twice a/week:
50 set practice

Week three and four:

Each day:
Basic (morning/dawn)
25 set practice

I will complete the
50 once.

I will complete the 108
Once.

Whatever your goals may be, I invite you to accomplish them. No matter how daunting or small they may be. They are yours and yours alone. May you find the courage to complete them and live the life you deserve. There is never a better motivation than the strength to overcome your ego and push on. Look within for what you need, there's never going to be an outside source that will provide you with the motivation that you need.

Namaste!
Vivienne

(Sutras I.20-I.26) Energized practice or surrender to the Source free up boundlessness.
03 Aug
All the best Vivienne!! and very well said!! :)
03 Aug
Beautiful put and like V said wishing you the best in your journey dear Viv. I am loving all this positivity and challenges this month! :)
03 Aug
This may be the greatest idea I've ever heard!!! I am stoked to do this with you, it's going to be incredible!!! Starting tomorrow, day one! :)
03 Aug
Spirit and body going hand in hand, the Wholeness... All the best, V.B. ! :-)
03 Aug
Thank you, Adam & Vishal & Hadi! And Chris, I'm stoked you're joining me!!
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 8:23am
via Android

Wow Vivienne! I have to say how extremely impressed I am that you being an American read such difficult sanskrit scriptures. Your commitment is remarkable! 

May I please join in the sun salutation challenge? I'll start from today. 
The 50 and 108 one seems really daunting and I will commit to that based on how I feel after doing the 25 sun salutations.

Also in addition in August I commit to :
1. Doing at least an hour of yoga everyday.
2. Keeping my room clutter free :)
3. Reading books on yoga too (Ayurveda)
4. Meditating everyday
5. Avoiding alcohol.

My spine is a little off, (scoliosis), but I feel this challenge shouldn't interfere with that, although I know having a bent spine keeps you from the full benefits of yoga. This broke my heart when I found out a few years ago. But I really want to get back into yoga anyway.

Namaste :)

03 Aug
Yes! Please join! I'd love to share this experience with you. Thank you! Also, it's been proven that yoga helps scoliosis. I can't wait to hear how you feel at the end of this. Thank you, Pinky!! V.
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 2:49pm
via Android

Ok so today was day 1 where I did it.
Honestly, it was a little scary because I haven't done the surya namaskar in years but once I started I was right into it.
My movements weren't very well coordinated with my breath. I found myself taking more breaths rather than moving with them. But I know that will come with practice.
Jumping into a plank was easy but jumping back from it was more difficult.
But overall I feel more energetic and confident now!  I will be doing this throughout August and record my progress.
Thank you, Vivienne :)

04 Aug
Way to go, Pinky! So happy you've joined me for this. Keep breathing! Namaste!
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 4:17am
via iOS
Day 1 complete. 

A little challenging considering I have acute bronchitis. Taking it easy for a few days, only the 25 and basic Sun Salutations. Like I said in my first post, I look forward to what this brings up within me. Now I have to go and figure out what lung issues mean... 

The ego has a funny way of presenting itself. 

Namaste. 
04 Aug
Really unfortunate :( But you should rest and take care. We don't deny your commitment. Afterall, you came up with this challenge. Please put yourself first and do what it takes to recover the fastest.
04 Aug
Pinky, yes unfortunate but fortunately I'm on the other side of it now. I'm feeling better everyday and I made this commitment when I already had it. I've been resting and going really light for a week or so now. I'm no good at being idle and completely agree; I have to put myself first and I am. I actually feel the salutation help me feel better. I won't be doing the 50 until the end of the week (should be feeling awesome by then) and 108 on week 3 and 4. Let's do day 2!
04 Aug
I'm still concerned. Please don't strain and listen to your body. I'm glad if it's helping you heal too. Just find the right balance.
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 4:18am
via iOS
Day one is complete!  Feels great
04 Aug
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 4:18am
via iOS
Day one is complete!  Feels great
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 4:19am
via iOS
Day one is complete!  Feels greatMy dance with 108...
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 4, 2015 4:19am
via iOS
Day one is complete!  Feels greatMy dance with 108...
04 Aug
I'm kinda overjoyed that you posted this 4 times. I like the excitement! ;)
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 5, 2015 5:15am
via iOS
day 2 complete!My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Aug 5, 2015 6:34pm
via Android

This should be up top

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 6, 2015 3:49am
via iOS

Day 2 and 3 complete!
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 6, 2015 4:50am
via iOS
Day 3 complete, hamstrings stretching and getting stronger, fingers are flat in the floor, one more inch to get palms flat in forward bend. Feeling great!!! My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 7, 2015 1:40am
via iOS
Day 4 complete!  Much physical work outdoors today so no jumping at all. Smooth transition steps to plank and from downward dog. Downward dog felt so good in the calf muscles, great stretch!! Wishes for your abundant health, Love❤️My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 7, 2015 4:21am
via iOS
Day 4 complete! 
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 3:08am
via iOS
Day 5 complete. 
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 4:18am
via iOS
Day 5 complete!!My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 9, 2015 3:03am
via iOS
Day 6 complete. 
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 9, 2015 4:51am
via iOS
6 days, noticeable flexibility in back and hamstrings!My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 10, 2015 4:14am
via iOS
Day 7 complete!  I missed you today Honey, I hope you feel better and are back to full strength, kicking ass again like you always do!!
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 10, 2015 4:17am
via iOS
Day 7 and 1st week complete with the 50 set Sun Salutation!  Feeling awesome from this intense workout, stronger and limberer.  (Limberer?) ahh, you get it!!My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 11, 2015 5:04am
via iOS
Day 7 complete and Caught up on day 8. Day 7 as a day of rest was really needed and my body greatly appreciated it. Bronchitis has been a b!t$h!! But I'm feeling good and on the other side now. Day 8 almost complete. I will catch up my 25 tomorrow. After doing Sun Salutation Yoga -- 50 -- Fast **V I'm exhausted and sweaty. It was tough and I had to keep cheering myself along. 
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 11, 2015 5:50am
via iOS
Day 8 is complete!My dance with 108... ❤️
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 12, 2015 6:42am
via iOS
Day 9 completed!  A great way to end this day, de-stressing and positive.  Ego said don't do it, got past that and had a fantastic stretch and breath session!My dance with 108...
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Aug 13, 2015 4:44am
via iOS
Day 9 and 10 complete.
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 13, 2015 5:05am
via iOS
Day 10, nose against the wall!!!!My dance with 108...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51