Bulk or cut first?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
17 Posts
Aug 21, 2015 11:36pm
via Android

I'm aware it is possible to do both on a very strict diet and workout routine but which would be more effective if the end goal is to be bigger with a lower body fat percentage? calories burn quicker with more muscle right? Although a tiny amount more I know but would it be easier to bulk then cut the fat or the other way around? or if you want to do both what would your calorie intake have to be?

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Aug 21, 2015 11:46pm
via iOS
I would say bulk first. Clean bulk to be exact because you want to minimize the fat you add on. It would be much easier to burn calories with more muscle mass.
There is no way of doing both cutting and bulking during the same EXACT time because cutting would be having a caloric deficit and bulking would be having a caloric surplus. It's either one or the other. To do both during a same time period however, you can do alternating days. Cut one day while doing cardio and having a caloric deficit while the next day bulk and have a caloric surplus.
22 Aug
ok cheers man I was thinking of doing that (made sense) just wanted to know if that was the right choice
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 11:35am
via Android

...Actually what if you were to have a slight calorie deflict but still consumed about 1.5 g of protein for every pound of bodyweight??

22 Aug
That would still be cutting. Meaning that you are able to maintain that muscle but any muscle gains are low.
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 9:24pm
via Android

That's not how it works. Eat clean during you're bulking phase and you'll keep your bf% relatively low. Shoot for 40g of protein,  70g of carbs and about 10g of fat per meal 5 - 6 times a day. 30-50-20 macros.
At your size cutting isn't something you're going to have to worry too much about. Eat clean and keep working hard. That's what it takes.
Make sure you're getting quality protein from chicken breast and fish,  and rice and potatoes,  and nutrient dense veghies. Stay away from crap eating and you can bulk without having to worry about losing that precious 6pac haha. I put on about 40lbs (from 145 - 180) and kept mine throughout the entire time because I busted my ass and kept my crap food to a minimum. "Bulking one day and cutting the next" doesn't even make sense. It's not an exact science,  but there are ways the human body work...and ways it just doesn't.

22 Aug
It makes sense if one wants to bulk and cut at the "same" time. But I agree, you don't have to worry about cutting, your bf % seems relatively low. So let's bulk! Cheers
22 Aug
What I mean was that's how one stays generally healthy without gaining or losing much weight. Or one with a goal of maintaining that weight while leaning out just a bit. Overall, just eat clean.
22 Aug
Generally healthy? Not gaining or losing to much? I don't even know where to start with that. There is such things culking. But I do not recomend that especially if you are a hard gainer. Bulk then cut. repeat. Simple right.
23 Aug
I agree. Bulk then cut. Keep the cycle going.
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 10:06pm
via Android

Alright thanks man, very helpful reply and I'll make sure to avoid eating sh*t, don't wanna lose the abs aha

22 Aug
Just let me interject. Don't worry about abs. If you are bulking commit to it. Don't let that hold back training. Good luck to you
22 Aug
I agree with Jovon. "Abs" are for looks. Focus on Power. Move some heavy shit.
23 Aug
ok I won't an thanks, originally I started working out to get abs but I've been doing much more weightlifting and I'm enjoying that much more as well, I'm happy with my waistline now and I'll definitely stay committed besides I won't gain much fat if I clean bulk right?
23 Aug
Clean bulk is the way to go

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51