How to permanently stay away from high carb drinks and foods?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 6:46pm
via Android

Okay so I can honestly say this is a big step for me. I don't like ice cream, cake with frosting, Wendy's frosties, milk shakes, milk chocolate, many types of candy and etc...
I've always like my fresh fruits and vegetables, ice water and teas along with natural juices. I'm pretty much a border line vegetarian because the only meat I eat on a regular to semi regular basis is chicken, dry tuna (no mayo), sometimes bacon and ham.
I had recently stopped drinking soda all together by replacing it with Gatorade, powerade and more natural juice flavors.
The problem is even though soda taste to sickly sweet and makes me feel like I'm going to throw up when I do drink it I find myself wanting it to many times. I avoid coffee because I like it with way to much sugar and creamer.
Does anyone maybe have any ideas or clues on why I could downright crave soda when I don't even like it? Could it be because growing up with always having the stuff in the household fridge?
Doesn't have to be a professional answer. I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on why or even how to prevent from craving the stuff.

22 Aug
Its most likely the combination of nistalgua and the high your body gets from all the sugar in soda. I hate it as well and never drink the stuff. But alot of people I know say they are addicted to the sugar in it and that makes total sense considering how much sugar really is in pop and our bodies love that energised feeling
22 Aug
That would actually make a lot of sense
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 7:13pm
via Android

I dilute my juices with water, you can try smoothies or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but even I give in if it's there's desert in my fridge. Best solution is don't buy something thats unhealthy in the first place.
And also beat yourself up about it if you give sometimes. Food shouldn't be a 'villian' , enjoy it.. Do lots of yoga and cardio.

22 Aug
Don't* If you give in* ... meh. Typos
22 Aug
I do my best not to give in. Often when the craving hit I drink water down Gatorade but other times it's like I grab it without thinking. Could it be a bad habit maybe?
22 Aug
I think just don't buy sugary stuff...gatorade is ok, but drink it after a glass of water and maybe you won't crave it that much?
22 Aug
I don't like ice cream so I tend to go after frozen yogurt or Italian ice.
22 Aug
Right now I live with the parents to help them out on the bills and cleaning the house and my mother(I love her dearly but) she has the biggest sweet tooth. She's around 235lbs and she doesn't like it. I try to get it to buy less of all that sugar loaded stuff, candies and prepackaged food so she could drop some weight but she fights it. I've recently got my parents to buy frozen vegetables and fruits over canned fruits and vegetables. I've also got them to where they fight the urge to buy soda. They use to go...
Image_thumb
1 Post
Aug 23, 2015 1:15am
via iOS
If you have a blender you can make your own healthy alternative sweet drinks. A good one to fuel you in the morning is datorade. This is simply some medjool dates, bananas and water....(or better still, use coconut water). I tend to blend kale and spinach with banana and other fruit (your choice here...things like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple melon) and coconut water. You can also add protein powder (I use a raw vegan protein powder).  This will provide healthy carbohydrates and a lot of macronutrients. 

You can make your own fat free fries (potato wedges). Par boil potatoes (better not to peal) and place on parchment paper in the oven to brown.  
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Aug 23, 2015 1:38am
via Android

I don't think someone should permanently stay away from these things because or not at first.  It's best to ween off these things and then have then as a treat once in awhile for an accomplishment.  I honestly don't have a problem with ice cream because I'm lactose intolerant but I do like coke and chocolate! For pop I have switched to hint water which is an organic water with natural flavors and has just minimal sweetness from the natural flavor added like blackberry and crisp apple ...I have a hard time drinking plain water but drinking Gatorade and juices can be just as bad as drinking pop.  For chocolate I eat only couple ounces of dark chocolate or for something sweet frozen fruit flavored marshmallows that are low in calories.  I also do a protein smoothie by ultra meal that is all natural that comes in chocolate and berry that I add almond milk to with frozen fruit or bananas. 

Icon_missing_thumb
14 Posts
Aug 28, 2015 5:40am
via Android

I would just force myself to drink water. During any meal id grab a water bottle. Whether or not i even wanted a drink i would grab one. Eventually it just became a habit and It just kept going. It was kind of hard to resist temptation for a bit, but it wasnt that bad. Also a bit every once in a while isnt the end of the world.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51