Question for lifters ... Do you train each muscle group once or twice per week?

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 3:31pm

Hey fam, so I have been taking a little break but will be back this monday and I'm thinking about changing my routine up a little bit. My current lifting routine has been to train each body part once per week on a 3-day weekly Leg/Pull/Push split: Monday - legs, Wednesday - back, biceps & traps, Friday - chest, shoulders & triceps.

I've been satisfied with the leg/push/pull split format as it allows me to mix in compound lifts with isolation exercises to target every muscle and on the in between days of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I usually do cardio & core. Sunday is rest day. 

I feel like I get adequate recovery time but I also feel like I could do more. Besides legs, most muscles feel almost full recovered after three days.

I would say i'm an experienced fitness individual but not an expert. I'm currently 192 lbs at 6 feet tall and if I had to guess my bodyfat % is probably around 20% with my body type storing most of it on my love handles. My goal is to continue to build muscle while improving my overall fitness level while burning excess body fat with a body fat % goal of 15%.

Anyway, I'm just curious if most people are lifting each body part once or twice a week? Another idea I've considered is continuing to train each muscle group once per week but fitting a forth day of lifing dedicated for trouble areas that are slower to grow? Any additional feedback/advice relating to my specific goals and how I can better achieve them would also be greatly appreciated. Thx fam :-)

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 4:12pm
via Android

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 5:06pm
via Android

I was like you Christian, train each muscle group basically once per week with legs being the red headed stepchild lol. Back in May tho I started Cory Gregory's squat every day program and really surged on it not only watching my pb's soar but it really carried thru to everything else I did after. Let me tell everything else feels like a piece of cake after Max effort squats every frikin day! Just a thought... I may start back on it shortly

09 Sep
I like the way that program looks, sends shivers down my spine.
09 Sep
I have to agree with Ltd -- really I don't mind following a routine it keeps me governed -- however I now just like to follow how I feel routine -- meaning have I recovered from the last time I hit x or o or do I want to do this or that. It's a highly debatable topic from many angles. At the end of the day you will do and think whatever you think you should do. So, here's the thing you can't build and shred -- you can go for a harder look and shred etc however unless...
10 Sep
Legs being the Red headed step child...best description ever...lol
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 6:00pm
via Android

Yes Chris you should pick up another day for your lacking body part.

Throughout the year I switch up my training 7-8 times per week. This is basically my approach to periodization.  And most times through the year I am hitting any given muscle group twice a week. In July I wanted to prioritize back and chest. So I hit those twice a week. Ideally I like to lift 5 days a week and have 1 day of ab work and 1 day of endurance work. That's how I use to train before I had skimble, and really that's when I feel the fittest. 

On a side note if you have a gym around your area or nutrition shop they might be able to test your body fat. Won't hurt to get a reading.

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 6:28pm
via Android

Thx Lt, Joe and Jovon...I can always count on you guys for helpful replies and advice.  I really don't know what to do to be honest.  I'm also limited to a small home gym set up and a couple serious injuries.  So I have to be careful with how hard I push myself. 

I'm fairly happy with where I've gotten to this point but I'm so competitive that I can't help wanting to push my limits more.  I think I'd like to go to a more needs/how I feel type of schedule.  But, I'm more consistent when I have a schedule all planned out in advance.

I'm going to research different ideas online more and see what I can come up with.  Maybe I need to stop looking at training schedules in terms of a standard week?  I think that limits my routine possibilities. 

One thing I think I'm certain on is increasing my lifting frequency on some type of level.  Because I think the extra muscle will benefit me more than the extra day of cardio.  Plus the increase muscle mass will burn more fat anyway as long as I keep my eating habits under control. 

Image_thumb
201 Posts
Sep 9, 2015 7:34pm
via iOS
Twice a week! I tired once a week and I was anxious for my next chest day! 
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Sep 10, 2015 8:57am
via Android

If you train a muscle group hard then it will be sore for a few days anyway, eg.

My chest day on Monday for example was a warm up to burn failure with just the bar then 3 x 10 building to my usual weight around 110kg and then 2x5or3 at a higher weight upto around 150kg and then 1rm of more if i can. 1 minute or so breaks to recover...

Then paramiding back down for 3 sets back to the bar..then on to dumbbells where I would start at 40kg and the gym maxes at 50kg for similar sets.  Then flys, cable and machines etc.

That was on Monday and today is Thursday and I can still feel my chest sore and tight.  With overlapping from other muscle groups, I wouldnt manage the same sets on chest until the following week.

I tend to log a lot less than I do so as to avoid the poitics of the leader board.

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Sep 10, 2015 4:46pm
via Android

Thx for the feedback Matt.  I'm probably going to stick to my current routine with a few tweaks here and there.  And I'm gonna try some new exercises and play around with different resistance levels as well.  I think I'll consider a fourth lifting day as optional depending on recover time and how my body feels. 

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Sep 11, 2015 1:43am
via iOS
I've done the once a week thing & twice a week thing & when I'm all fit & healthy I much prefer the twice a week workouts. I'm careful to make sure I alternate between the compound & isolation moves so I don't fatigue out though. Twice a week definitely works for me when building muscle and strength but I have to rest in the 5th or 6th week coz my body is shot to hell 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51