Depression &anxiety

10 posts | Original | Recent

Nov 4, 2015 10:33pm
via Android

Hey guys. I've recently become a ton more depressed and anxious because of a lot of drama at school. I play water polo but am not losing any weight. Eating healthier and working out afterwards seems to help, but one of the problems is I didn't even go to school today because I was so exhausted and depressed. How do I shake the depression and anxiety? I take 80mg of fluoxatin which seems to help a lot. I don't want to take any anxiety meds because I'd basically be in bed all day. Do you guys know of any vitamins that would help? Trying to be mostly natural :) but also on a low budget :\ thank you guys!:)

05 Nov
I know how u feel in a way. I'm kinda depressed especially I can't really participate in my sports o love because I have a stress fracture in my hip. But what helps me be postive and get back to work is looking up motivation videos and qoutes. Also listing to good music. Try to find out ways that u notice yourself being more joyful. I hope this helped and I pray for healing for you:)
05 Nov
Lack of Vitamine D can cause or aggravate depression afaik. Make sure to set your body in the position to produce enough of it by catching as much natural (sun)light as possible, at least 30mins a day. If a doctor finds an ongoing lack of the vitamin, it can also be taken directly.
06 Nov
I've been on and off anti-depressants for 18 years and should have probably been on them much earlier. I get up everyday and don't want to even look into the mirror because of how I feel. Meds or no meds I fully understand. I push myself to do even 5 min everyday. 5 min is better then none.
Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 5, 2015 6:28am
via iOS
Look for the supplement 5 HTP. Aways consult your doctor before trying supplements in addition to any prescriptions. Read up on it. 
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 2:31pm

Do you have anyone available to you that you are comfortable really talking to about the drama and the difficulties that are contributing to the anxiety? It really can help.  You may be able to feel better without taking anything or changing what you eat, and the person you talk to might be able to help you and/or help others to resolve the problems that are causing you stress. Even if they can't or shouldn't intervene in the drama, they can help you to work through how you personally respond to it.

If there isn't someone that you're comfortable talking to, I would really suggest writing some of it down. Get a blank notebook or open a Word doc and just write down everything you're feeling, the things you wish you could say to the people involved, the frustration, all of it. It doesn't have to make sense or be all perfect grammar - it's for you alone. I find that sometimes, when I'm anxious or depressed, just putting the situation into words, even if I never show them to anyone, can help me to work through it or to take a new perspective on it, or just to feel better for the catharsis. Some of it I've kept, some of it I've deleted or shredded. But it helps.

((hug))!

07 Nov
Icon_missing_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 15, 2015 9:13pm
via iOS
Tomato, you should not take 5 HTP if you are already be taking fluoxetine especially 80mg once daily which is a high dose. Fluoxetine is already affecting your serotonine (related to 5HTP)
Icon_missing_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 15, 2015 9:21pm
via iOS
Tomato, i think as previously suggested, if you are getting anxious because of school, you seek help from school. Which country are you from? Also with anxiety often helps to face our fears with the appropriate support (unless the fears continue to be based on true "danger"). Regarding your mood again it is important to utilise your environment and friends to have the appropriate support. Has your doctor suggested you any talking therapies or CBT or IPT? How about your family?
Regarding physical reasons, vit D as previously suggested can help if you have low levels!
Nov 15, 2015 9:23pm
via Android

I live in california, USA c: one of the reasons why I don't want to take anxiety meds is that it'll put you in bed all day. What do those pills do specifically?

16 Nov
I take an anti depressant and don't spend all day in bed. In fact if I don't take them my anxiety/depression puts me in bed because I can't face anything.
16 Nov
But what I'm saying is anxiety meds put you in bed. I know antidepressants don't.
16 Nov
No, not all of them. Wellbutrin helps with anxiety and doesn't put my mom in bed.
16 Nov
Yeah I'm switching over to wellbutrin. I didn't know it helped with anxiety though. Thanks :)
16 Nov
I take Lexapro. It has been my best yet. Did the Wellbutrin and my mom does that with trazadone which does make me sleepy.
Icon_missing_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 15, 2015 9:30pm
via iOS
It depends what you mean when you say anxiety meds. Fluoxetine, is an antidepressant that works for anxiety (on a higher dose than for depression) but you do not get immediate response. Some doctors may prescribe things like diazepam (valium) or lorazepam that can give quick relief. The problem is that they are addicitve and they make things worse as when their effect wears off you feel more anxious. They do not help from psychological point of view either. They are not used in the UK for that reason in children and teenagers. Occassionaly for severe anxiety people use antipsychotics. Whatever you take though you should not be taking a high dose that makes you go to bed. Also for anxiety it is important you try a psychological approach than drugs, and more i portantly you seek the help of those close to you!
Icon_missing_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 15, 2015 9:35pm
via iOS
I was meant to say-whatever you do remember that things will get better in the future. Be hopeful and exercise!
Image_thumb
58 Posts
Nov 15, 2015 10:39pm
via Android

I am diagnosed with severe depression and ptsd. I know how you feel. I take lexapro, and see a therapist 2 times a month. It's best to talk to someone, since it's getting worse. I was very suicidal, and talking had helped a lot. And I've been more motivated to get up and exercise since ive taken my anti depression meds. I hear it everytime, this too shall pass, but sometimes it's best for someone to be quiet and listen to what's wrong.

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Nov 16, 2015 1:32am
via Android

It is always good to talk about it, write about it, and talk with your doctor about a better prescription or a more natural one, especially if your missing school cuz of it..Much Respect. Peace. Cyber hugs. Hope all will become better soon. And chin up ^.^

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51