Cardio or muscle training first?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Nov 7, 2015 11:28pm
via Android

When working out, is it more beneficial to do cardio prior to muscle training or vice versa?

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Nov 7, 2015 11:45pm
via Android

Depends how's your fitness level. If you don't start from zero with cardio I love to mix them both. If you don't have a decent level of cardio start with it. It'll help you with all the other exercises.

08 Nov
Thanks
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Nov 8, 2015 3:45am
via Android

A lot of people find it to be an either or situation. Yet from a professional stand point;  it's better to first raise the heart rate, increase the blood flow and temperature of the muscle with cardio, then a stretching routine to help, well...stretch the muscles and tendons to reduce the shock of weight training. After that a few warm up sets at light weight of your specific exercise to prepare the exact muscles to be worked. This is the "by the book" methodology.

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Nov 9, 2015 6:13am
via Android

Light cardio is good before lifting, but a full cardio workout will diminish your  performance for lifting and therefore affect how much you push your limits, therefore affecting how much muscle you gain.

There's probably also some info out there about full cardio right after lifting, prob regarding anabolic & aerobic terms but I'm not that well informed. I try to keep things separate, with only five minutes of cardio before and after lifting. Then on "off" days (no lifting) I'll do a full cardio workout. I think that's pretty standard.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51