Question please help!!

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
124 Posts
Nov 11, 2015 8:18pm
via Android

Do anybody use MyFitnessPal? I tried to use as the first time I lost weight but now I remember why I didn't use it have you eating to many calories. The goal is to cut back right?

15 Nov
Yup. It's a great tool!! Very useful. You got this!
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Nov 11, 2015 9:27pm
via iOS
MyFitnessPal calculates basic stuff depending on age, weight etc. but you can go in the settings and manually set the amount of calories, protein, carbs etc. that you're wanting to consume. 

Play around with it and focus on your goal; whatever that may be like weight loss, bulking, slimming down, maintaining...  It's a great tool. Best of luck! 
Image_thumb
124 Posts
Nov 11, 2015 9:39pm
via Android

Yeah when I put all my stuff in my weight & my high in my goals and stuff that's the calories was just too much and I just want to keep it between 1200 and 1300

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Nov 12, 2015 8:02pm

I use it and I really like it, though sometimes it's hard to know how to enter things when you aren't the person cooking. And it's cool that some fitness trackign programs (sadly not skimble) can connect to it and track the calories you burn too.

I'm not an expert at all, but 1200-1300 calories sounds really low to me. Can I ask how you chose it? Have you talked with a doc or a professional about what a healthy goal is for you?  I happened to have a copy of the "nutritional guidelines for americans" sitting next to me (I've been reading it at work), and that low an intake is only recommended for kids less than 8 years old, and only if they're sedentary and not too active.

I'm not tryign to harsh on you or anything. It's just that taking in too few calories can actually stop you from losing weight or getting stronger, because the body starts to react as though there's a famine on and tries to store up as much as it can. If you can swing it, and if you haven't already, I'd really recommend getting advice from a doc, nutritionist, other professional to help you set a target that will work the best for you and your goals.

Hope that helps! :)

13 Nov
Starvation mode the way you're describing it is a very popular misconception in the fitness world.
13 Nov
Hi Patrick, can you expand on that a little? Do you mean, the body doesn't actually do that, or that the idea that an extreme low calorie diet is a key to weight loss is a misconception? As I said, I'm not an expert by any means and am totally open to correction. :)
13 Nov
Yeah, I was saying that the idea of extremely low calorie diets causing a "Starvation mode" where the body stops losing weight, is a popular fitness myth. I see it repeated often as an explanation for why ppl might not be losing weight but it's not real, at least not in the context ppl use it. Real Starvation mode happens in actual starving ppl, like ppl who are literally dying, and even then it doesn't stop weight loss, it is a condition with many symptoms, slowing of metabolism is one, but it only delays things. There is no way for...
13 Nov
Thanks!
14 Nov
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Nov 13, 2015 3:18pm
via Android

When I started i just set myfitnesspal to the lowest activity lifestyle (below my actual lifestyle) and the highest weight loss goal. I definitely lost some weight. I gained a bit of it back, too.  There's a reason they say to go gradual. 

But that being said, mfp is just a tracker. You don't have to eat all it says. I always felt good when I "overachieved"  and came in under my calorie allowance for the day.

I would recommend finding a macro ratio you want to stick to and then eat the amount of calories you want, within that ratio, and making sure you get all your nutrients if you can.

For fat loss, lower carb, higher protein and fat ratios is recommended.

The advice to seek help from a nutritionist or doctor was good, though. Even just reading some more articles on healthy weight loss through googling some terms and questions is a good idea to learn more. Try googling "how many calories should I eat for healthy weight loss?" There will be some quacks out there trying to take yr money but you'll usually, in a few headlines or articles, or from more reliable sources, see a trend of similar info and that often is the reliable answer. 1200 does seem quite low.

Image_thumb
124 Posts
Nov 13, 2015 7:07pm
via Android

What work for me may not work for you. I just do won't to eat 3000 a day

13 Nov
Yeah, 3000 is prob too high! So many factors to consider. Best of luck on your journey!
14 Nov
Haha 3000 does sound p high. I'd double check your info.
P_20151025_101757_1_bf_p_thumb
51 Posts
Nov 14, 2015 7:07am
via Android

It sounds to me as though you need to double check the information you entered about your weight and height.  I had a friend who got a weird calorie recommendation as well.  The problem was that she entered her information in pounds when the app was asking for kilos.  You can double check the measurement units in the "edit profile" section.  Hopefully it works out for you!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51