Lifting

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
38 Posts
Apr 29, 2016 4:12am
via Android

Skimble community ♡ When planning to tone and "bulk up" ... how often and what protein filled foods should I focus on? (Without eating meat )

29 Apr
Also... I have mild scoliosis and read to avoid overhead weighted squats as it would put a lot of weight/pressure on the spine.
29 Apr
noce information skimbler gave on this forum .but Jodie why you want to bulk up?
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Apr 29, 2016 1:59pm
via Android

Hi Jodie.

I can give you the basics you need to get started.

If you want to bulk up, you are consuming more calories then you are using during the day. This is the main starting point. You want to give your body the energy to stay in a anabolic state as much as possible. You are on the right path while asking how much protein you need to consume. Since protein (amino acids) are the main building blocks for this anabolic state, when it's about muscles. There has been les research towards protein requirements in a bulking phase than there have been in cutting phase.

But in general most studies say for strength training it is, 1,2 grams per kilo of bodyweight up to 1,8grams per kilo bodyweight.

A 2014 study by Helms, Aragon and Fitschen suggest 2 grams upwards to 3 grams per kilo bodyweight for bodybuilding purposes.

Next to this there is quality of protein. Quality is determined by the amino acid profile of the source. You said you don't eat meat. This will make it harder to get a full amino profile in. Since mostly animal protein sources give a full profile.

You also ask about meal/protein timing. It's les important than some suggest. But in general it's best to have a meal withing 3/4 hours within and after you workout. Both containing protein and carbs. But I would advice you to mainly focus on hitting ur daily goals more than the timing of food.

Even though the main focus is still on calories. You have to make sure you are eating more than you are using.

It's a bit of the basics. If you are in need of more info or of the studies I refer too. Feel free to ask.

29 Apr
Thank you so much! :-) this is really helpful. But isn't there a risk of over eating and not lifting enough or heavy enough and then resulting in the unwanted fatty weight gain.?
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Apr 29, 2016 6:08pm
via Android

When you bulk you will gain some fat. There is no way arround it. Just like when you are cutting you will lose muscle mass. These are the laws our bodies have to work with.

There are tricks to kind of work arround it(kind of). The most important one is protein. While overfeeding on protein the body composition changes have shows results towards more of mass gain than fat gains. But it's also pretty difficult to eat mainly more protein. Unless you like pounding whey shakes or just chicken breasts. So this is a hard and also boring thing to do.

This makes the need for tracking. And for finding out where your daily kcal expenditure lies. If you want to limit fat gains (duh everyone wants to limit these) you will have to take small steps in upping your kcal. And at the same time you have to focus on serious weight training. Not the girly like training, with just some planks and yoga(which is great stuff). But the compound lifts.

You won't get fat or buff over night. But to answer your question, there is a chance of overfeeding and getting fat. Just like there is the chance of losing a lot of Muscle mass when cutting down. It kind of comes down towards, proper planning of food and keeping training.

29 Apr
Temporary sacrifice I must make to get a stronger physique
29 Apr
That's the attitude Haha.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51