Protein Shakes

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
5 Posts
May 11, 2016 3:59pm
via Android

Hi everyone in the past I've dieted and exercised but never really bothered with any kind of shakes. This time I want to make sure I do as much as I can since I plan on losing about 25-30 pounds than stay focused on maintaining while still toning as much as possible. This week only working out about 30 mins and treadmill another 20-30. Plan on adding a little time slowly each week main goal is to do 2 hours a day 5 days a week. Anywho should I drink my protein shake before or after? Also which shake do y'all recommend. Thanks in advance and have a good day.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
May 11, 2016 4:31pm
via Android

I use the gnc lean shake burn and drink it 30 min before I work out. It gives me tons of energy.  Between that and diet, I've lost 22lbs in the last 5 weeks. Hope this helps!

11 May
Awesome thanks.
12 May
Ok will do. Which one do you recommend?? Well so far only added Ice haven't had time to look up any recipes and am drinking a water bottle every two hours minimum sometimes more.
Image_thumb
23 Posts
May 12, 2016 12:53am

I personally like to drink my protein shake after my workout. Bear in mind that is because it contains substances that are used for rebuilding muscle and i make it more of a meal.

However, there are many pre-workouts that give you a boost of energy for your workout, and of course, take those beforehand. It largely comes down to what you are hoping to accomplish with your drink.

12 May
I was reading the difference of before and after and started getting confused. I want it to be a meal replacement as well so the past 2 days I tried it after. I'm wanting to lose weight but my main priority is toning up as I do.
12 May
I warm up 15 minutes on the treadmill before and that helps me feel energized to workout.
12 May
You and me both!!! I would take your shake as a post workout shake then. What do you like to have in your shakes? Maybe I can share a recipe or two? Good on you with the warming up before working out. Make sure to drink TONS of water. Oftentimes we overeat because we think we are hungry but in fact are mostly thirsty. If you get hungry, try drinking water first if its not close to your meal time.
12 May
Follow me and I can PM you some more detailed recipes of what I drink as well as what I eat.
12 May
Ok will do thanks
Image_thumb
23 Posts
May 12, 2016 1:05am

You and me both!!! I would take your shake as a post workout shake then. What do you like to have in your shakes? Maybe I can share a recipe or two?

Good on you with the warming up before working out. Make sure to drink TONS of water. Oftentimes we overeat because we think we are hungry but in fact are mostly thirsty. If you get hungry, try drinking water first if its not close to your meal time.

Image_thumb
953 Posts
May 12, 2016 2:10am
via Android

Do you have nutrition goals that you are trying to meet?
Cuz I would recommend an examination of your fitness goals, the nutrition recommended for those goals, and then for you to monitor your nutrition for a few days to see how close you come to your nutrition goals.
Otherwise, you're just kind of adding liquid calories to your diet with no real structure, purpose, or plan, and that isn't necessarily good (or necessarily bad either)

12 May
I'm replacing a meal with a shake and no more breakfast tacos. Also have cut out chips and junk food (maybe to about 90% if I'm really craving let's say a chocolate chip cookie I'll have it ) I'm not planning on a short term weight loss and toning goal so am not actually "dieting" just making healthier eating choices. I'm not big on cokes and fast food so that's not an issue. Overall I don't eat too bad I just gained weight due to being in the hospital so long and not being able to leave to get healthier...
12 May
OK yeah, when i say diet i usually mean just whatever your eating habits are... so by replacing a meal with a shake what are you trying to do? cut some calories while getting some protein seems likely. are you keeping track of your macros or your protein intake? do you plan on just making that meal replacement shake a permanent thing? because with certain nutritional goals in mind, the shake is just a tool. you can enjoy variety while still keeping those goals in mind. like if you have a certain calorie and protein goal for which that meal...
12 May
Oh lord I'm lost already lol. Well breakfast for sure is healthier because I was slacking in that for a while. My shake will be my meal replacement for lunch. My baby is on a ketogenic diet will be on it for a while so I'm trying to have a healthy shake that I can have in place of lunch for a couple of reasons. Cooking smells tempt her and we're new to her diet so working on a ratio plus she has a feeding tube and swallow test have yet to start so can't feed her anything by mouth...
12 May
OK convenience is definitely a legit reason to do shakes. you may want to look into meal replacement shakes specifically, rather than simply protein shakes, for a more complete nutrition option. good luck! It sounds more complicated than it really is, you'll figure it all out eventually, it's a process.
13 May
Thanks and yeah I've decided to try meal replacement shakes after doing a little more reading. Might change with time but for now this is what will help me stay on track.
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
May 12, 2016 4:51pm
via Android

If you aren't doing any resistance training adding protein (shakes), won't change that much regarding to body composition.

And pretty much what Patrick said. The shake is a tool for your goal. The shake itself isn't a goal. Since a shale itself is just a bit of protein.
If it keeps you from making all kinds of bad eating choices it will be a good tool. But don't expect too much of it.

13 May
Thank you and yeah for the time being I can't really do resistance training due to limited time..so focusing on cardio with small weights(ankle,hand). Think for now meal replacement shakes will do and as I can dedicate more time to working out I'll adjust the shakes.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51