Which day do you do deadlifts...back day or leg day? And why?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 17, 2016 4:59am
via Android

Just curious when most people are doing deadlifts and why?

18 Jul
I like them on leg days because there is also stretching through range of motion which improves flexibility. When my hamstrings are tight, medium weight deadlifts are my go-to about mid workout when I'm good and warm. But, I have a low back sports injury that loves to flair up for no good reason, so I generally shy away from heavy deadlifts to protect my back.
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 17, 2016 5:02am
via Android

For the record, I've been doing them on leg day because no matter how I do them (stiff-legged or standard) they tend to stress the glutes and hamstrings the most. 

17 Jul
I do my deadlifts on back day, ive also done them on leg days as well just to mkx my workouts up. I consider a deadlift more of a back/core movement just for the fact of the bottom movement being legs tell you break past the knee the it becomes a multiple joint movement. I wonder if youre standing to far from the bar thats why your getting the stress acrossed the glutes
17 Jul
Most the movememt is coming from the lower back/hips/abs. This is why when people over do it they injure the back, or abs
17 Jul
Ive heard of people messing up thier hips. Mostly from standing away from the bar and "rocking their feet at the top of the deadlift" (as if they were about to fall over) this over time will cause your hip alignment to tilt forward giving you back problems down the road
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jul 17, 2016 3:55pm
via Android

Depends on how your workouts look like. But usually leg day is the first option.

17 Jul
Thx for the feedback Rappa. I like them on leg day usually because I like to keep back day short and sweet. My back tends to tighten up easily
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 17, 2016 5:11pm
via Android

Hey Aaron, first off...thanks for taking the time to give so much feedback!  Much appreciated brother!  So, I have the bar basically vertically aligned through my shoulders down to my knees and I keep it close when rising.  So I think I'm good there.  On the way down I'm hinging my hips back and sitting on my heels and I'm solidly balanced.  However, on my way up in definitely squeezing my glutes and generating a lot of power there to lock out at the top.  My back is engaged the whole way but I think it's mostly just in stabilizing itself and not rounding my back...i do feel it in the lower back a little and it's Def made my lower back stronger.  But most of my power is generating through my glutes and hips on the way up and on the way down it's all hamstrings I'd say.  It feels great to me!  The whole motion feels smooth.  I might be leaning a little too much when I lockout because I really try squeeze my glutes and lower back. 

17 Jul
One more thing I noticed, I wouldn't say I do stiff legged deads but I may lean that way a little bit. But it feels better to me that way. Idk
17 Jul
Yeah its all good form. And your tipping a little as you get to the top isnt going to hender you. I was just saying ive seen people do a jerking deadlift and (tipping their toes and then lockout) i just watch waiting for a back blowout.
17 Jul
Oh yea, I've seen that as well. I try to think about how I'll be walking in twenty years too, lol. Form is always my priority
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jul 18, 2016 1:51am
via iOS
I do heavy lifts on back day with usually 6 sets and lighter lifts on leg day. I do se form of deadlifting at least 3 times a week because of how they've helped me improve my strength when working other muscle groups. 
20 Jul
Thx for weighing in brother. I think I'll stick with them on leg day for now because mine are a little bit more of the stiff legged variety. It tend to go a little lighter to avoid aggravating my back. Maybe as my core strengthens I'll switch it up to back day and a more standard deadlift with heavier lifts.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51