Starting Out with a Shoulder Injury

7 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Dec 19, 2016 12:04pm
via Android

Hi everyone! I've lost track of how many times I've been determined to get healthy and lose weight, only to give up after a couple weeks. I'm terrible with time management and on top of it, I have a several-year-long shoulder injury (severe impingement) that I still need to deal with via physio.

I've sunk to what would be my all-time low. 250lbs, 5'9". I desperately need advice on motivation to get out of bed earlier than just barely in time to make it to work. Also, advice on workouts that would still target my upper body without stressing my shoulder too much. My range of motion is about half of what a normal person's is.

Thank you so much! Glad to be here and I hope this is the one!

20 Dec
keep going niki
23 Dec
Hi Nikki, it's great that you're sharing your struggles and reaching out for help. Kuddos to you! Start where you are: Can you workout in the afternoon or during lunch hour since it is challenging for you to get up early in the morning? How about running/treadmill, cycling at the gym or to get you started?
24 Dec
i a rotor cuff tear 4 years ago which was a 2 hour surgery.Since i started workung out i can hear ad feel my left arm grinding and popping.It maybe be my rotor cuff and may not but i am going to deal with it and treat it after every workout.Its not easy and it scares you and plays with your mind.Just hang in there and have high hopes.I dont know what your problem is but listen to harvey take fish oil and so on.i pray i get thrw every workout and take a day to rest it on a...
24 Dec
i went to rehab for 1 week cause they were doing therapy and when they raised it it hurt but they didnt believe me.So i quit going and rehabed myself by stretches on the wall and holding on to the doorway and use my good arm to lift it.You can do it.
Image_thumb
220 Posts
Dec 20, 2016 12:50am

Hi Niki,

you can do every workout that doesn't cause any pain. For impiginent syndrom check videos on youtube or do the one i created: Shoulder stability

https://www.skimble.com/workouts/846449-shoulder-stability

I created this when I almost couldn't move my arm and didn't want a surgery. Beside doing this I added high dosis of vitamin e (800iu), added curcuma to every meal. l-prolin (amino acid), vit d (10000iu) and 3g omega 3 fats daily. This is what I took - you have to try whats working for you. Today im without pain

21 Dec
I have been doing core muscle exercises and now ready to hit the gym.But in my upper left arm in the Rotor cuff area soubds like bone to bone and of course comes some pain but i keep going.Any suggestions on what to do after exercise?I use and take muscle builders and recovery Muscle Milk and that seems to settle it.
21 Dec
I take 2 My fish oil everyday believe 1,000 mg with omega 3.Anything else that would help the joints out a little?I take 3 other things for muscle and energy but what else is there to work through this?I am not going through surgery again NO WAY
23 Dec
Niki where is your pain exactly?I had rotor cuff surgery on my right shoulder 4 years ago from a old pitching injury.Now since i started working out my left is botherng me but hard to pinpoint if its the rotor,tricep or elbow.Pain is just there but keep going and thought of having it checked to make sure there isnt a tear and god i hope not but you can manage it.What type of exercises do you do? for it.
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 21, 2016 5:13pm
via Android

I myself have been dealing with left shoulder pain and even sounds like when I tore my rotary cuff in my right shoulder.It pops and it hurts I already take fish oil with omega 3 and been thinking on increasing it.And my recovery Muscle Milk has the amino acids and that in it.Any other suggestions????

Image_thumb
220 Posts
Dec 21, 2016 10:54pm

I don't know what you're eating or if you take any kinds of supps beside protein. For healthy joints you need:

Vit A, C, D and E. High dosis! But don't take them straight before a workout and least 6 hours after. They are fighting any inflammation in your body. Vit C is not so important, but you should take it when adding Vit E.
Curcuma (and cinnamon too) are also protecting against inflammation.

Calcium is needed (especially if you add Vitamin D) and if your calcium is low, it will cause sediments, which are painful.

Proline is an amino acids which is good for joints and bowstrings. If you take protein powder, you probably don't need more of it.

Omega 3, I took 3-5g/day. Some nned just 1, some need 10...you gotta find out. And I'm talking oif omega 3, not just fish oil 8often 1g fish oil just has in about 300mg omega 3)

This is what I'm taking and which was working for me. If you wanna know more, send me a pm

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 21, 2016 11:16pm
via Android

Yes I need to add more.I am currently working out and take Muscle Milk with protein which 2scoops is around 50 or 55 mg with amino acids in it for recovery after my workout.I am trying to figure out what to use before for energy and muscle building while.I did order Force Factor and haven't gotten it yet.But take fish oil but you feel add all those others together?I take Gnc Mega Energy a vitamin.

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 21, 2016 11:17pm
via Android

How high of doses on the A,C etc and everyday

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 21, 2016 11:37pm
via Android

OK what I am working on was Core Muscle and will continue.But I am working on arms,chest,abs.Now high doese you don't have a number how high?And my meals I am still working on.But watching my weight so I know my muscle weight.I have noticed more energy from the Muscle Milk and will start force factor in a few days.Did you hear of it?

21 Dec
No, I don't know force factor. I'll send you a pm..are you german?

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,218 topics, 38,280 posts

Motivation & Support

8,522 topics, 41,760 posts

App Updates

13 topics, 43 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts

Workouts and Programs