Working out in Chilly Winters

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
40 Posts
Jan 12, 2017 6:40pm
via Android

Its too chilly in Northern India right nowAlthough I workout indoors, sonetimes it becomes too difficult to come out of the cozy blanket..mind you there aren't centrally heated homes in India...I have skipped my workouts due to this ending up too guilty... Also there are more cravings in winter as well .. How can beat this chilly whether.... God I hate winters

14 Jan
Do you have "Seasonal Affective Disorder"? Do you need extra vitamins D(3) and K(2)? There are special lamps you can get to help your body get the extra exposure to a certain type of light that many, many of us need during "northern" winters. Of course, you're in India, but it's northern India, and "northern" is relative. Hang in there!! Warm, sunny weather always comes back!! (((Hugs)))
Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Jan 14, 2017 4:39am
via Android

There are a lot of challenges involved here. It sounds like you may have to get creative. When I'm left not being able to focus on exercise, the next thing I usually think of is to focus even more on what I'm eating, but yeah during the winter holidays in the States here there are a lot of temptations and I just say "heck with it" and eat whatever I want for a couple months. I'm fortunate in that I work at a gym so while I'm eating I don't have the problem of finding a place to workout, I can go lift heavier weights and work harder and hopefully gain some muscle out of all that food. Do you have any gyms around you? A gym membership is a wonderful thing. I'm not sure what your town is like or how easy that is, though. Even a community center, a library, a coffee shop, a place you can make it a routine to go to every day or so, even if just for something entirely unrelated to fitness, having a social routine, an activity out of the house, is strongly related to healthy living.  Many community centers at least have a space where they can offer some kind of fitness classes, like low impact aerobics, Zumba, yoga, etc. Maybe you can be the one to propose starting a program like that at your local community center? Even something like having workshops, like getting guest lectures in to give talks on basic nutrition, or diabetes prevention, or healthy cooking classes, meditation, even topics unrelated to fitness, like computer skills, household budget management, whatever. Again, not sure what your area is like, so maybe that can't work.

Maybe set up your warm clothing before going to sleep at night, so you can easily wake up and slip into all your layers, and go take a brisk walk? Or even get out of bed, put on those warm clothes, and do some jumping jacks and bodyweight squats in your room. Throw in some planks... Should warm you up!

Its a difficult time, don't be so hard on yourself and just keep an open mind to finding alternative ways you can stay focused. Maybe work on the mental aspect, self education, like find some health and fitness blogs to read everyday, follow some motivational social media accounts, find different recipes you can try out.

Don't be hard on yourself, keep an open mind to exploring all the different aspects of healthy living, get creative, and stick with it!

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,220 topics, 38,283 posts

Motivation & Support

8,522 topics, 41,761 posts

App Updates

14 topics, 44 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts

Workouts and Programs