Is it healthy to burn 500 - 1000 calories a day for a beginner?

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 9, 2017 5:01am
via Android

Is it healthy to burn 500 - 1000 calories for a beginner?

I've heard that burning 500 or more calories helps in speedy weight loss but is it really healthy?

Image_thumb
1028 Posts
Mar 9, 2017 1:45pm
via Android

Burning more calories, as long as you're paying attention to not eating them right back, will help in weight loss, as weight loss is simply a product of maintaining a caloric deficit. So burning more will always help with losing more.

However, that level of intensity for a beginner can be hazardous. If you're taking about burning 500-1000 calories through exercise, you're talking about maybe an hour or two of pretty steady intensity, and that's a lot, especially for a beginner. Could lead to overtraining. Fatigue, illness, injury...

It all depends on the individual, though.

10 Mar
Yeah, I'm trying to keep my diet under 1500-1600 calories a day (mostly), and I did the 500 calorie workout today, five repitation of set - 40 Jumping Jacks, 30 Crunches, 20 Squats, 10 push-ups (20 wall push-ups in my case), as per what Pinterest and others told me to burn 500 calories, feels great for now just thinking that it might be sore for few days
10 Mar
usually any workout I've seen labeled anything like "500 calorie workout" or "1000 calorie workout" didn't even come close to burning that many calories. how long did it take you to do?
10 Mar
well I don't know for sure but more than 20-25 minutes.
10 Mar
Wait, just checked it right now. It took 39 minutes minus 5 minutes rest in between.
11 Mar
if you ran at a pretty good pace (6 miles an hour) for about forty minutes nonstop, for four miles, you might burn 500 calories, and most beginners can't do that. Just knowing that the name of the workout is "500 calorie workout" makes me skeptical, but looking at the exercises involved I will say it's extremely unlikely that you burned even 200. You can learn a lot about the amount of work it takes to burn calories by running or doing other steady state cardio, (biking, jumprope, etc) and seeing what an online calorie burn calculator says about that,...

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,238 topics, 38,251 posts

Motivation & Support

8,510 topics, 41,724 posts

App Updates

16 topics, 52 posts

Ask the Pros

725 topics, 1,848 posts

Workouts and Programs