Fitness and mental health (depression)

3 posts | Original | Recent

10394608_579346558833550_1954489746033667552_n_thumb
5 Posts
Jun 18, 2017 1:46am
via Android

Some studies have found that exercise can be a moderately helpful treatment for mild to moderate depression in adults. Exercise should therefore be considered as an important lifestyle change that is used in addition to other treatments for depression.

The benefits that can be attained from exercise depend on the amount of exercise that is undertaken. Most studies showing that exercise was helpful used aerobic exercise (such as running or walking), for at least 30 minutes, three times a week, for at least eight weeks. However, more research is needed to work out the best type of exercise, how often and for how long it should be done, and whether it is better in a group or individually.

The current recommendation is at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most, and preferably all, days of the week. People with significant heart or respiratory illnesses should seek medical advice before starting on an exercise program.

11 Oct
i totally agree that exercising plays an important role in overcoming bad days. i suffered badly through my depression and also had the mindset that excercise does nothing. i was wrong, now im happier than iv ever been. at times i find it hard to get up and do anything but i still push myself to achieve the toughest goals. i exercise to have a healthy mind body spirit. thats my 'why'.
12 Oct
Ula P I can totally relate to your story I also suffer with major depression. If you ever want to have a chat or need any advice let me know
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Oct 26, 2017 7:20am
via Android

Well this is a first for me. I need help, but i dont have anyone to help me. Here is my story, my life. I will try to shorten the post & keep simple. I am a long time sufferer of depression.  I recently had the person who should love me for who i am, hurt me by a text i woke up to. The text in a nutshell stated that i need to lose weight, & how embarrassed he was that i was the biggest wife at a company party, & how he is done with me. This text came 2 days before our 25 anniversary of marriage which was yesterday. It broke my heart even though i know i wasnt the biggest, i feel his sight was ruined by his alcohol consumption that night,  i know i am at the biggest i ever been & afraid to step on a scale as i have battled with trying to lose weight for years,  hence why he is done with me. I dont understand how this happened. I am honest with myself as i reached the point that nothing ever works for me. I dont overeat, i actually under eat because i never finish meals & barely touch them. I try to eat as healthy as possible, such as when i cook i cook healthy always making sure to have a protein, & 2 side dishes 1 always being a veggie. I dont cook with salt, i never fry food, & if i eat out i make sure to order a healthier option or i cut calories by eliminating sauces, or most of the bun. I dont like salads even though i love veggies, i have to be in the mood for a salad. If i drink juice i dilute it with 3 parts water, 1 part juice, & i have eliminated most of the soda. I drink water only at work & mostly get in 6 or more glasses a day. I have a desk job for 3.5 yrs now after being unemployed for 2 yrs so that added to the depression. I used to be the family bread winner, but since my high paying position was eliminated i couldnt find work in my degree field due to lack of experience, & i was over qualified for everyday jobs so noone hired me thinking i would quit once better opportunity came along so thats why 2 years it took to get this current desk job as its all i was offerred.  Pay sucks i started from bottom & make not even 1/3 of what i used to make. I try to apply and have at least 1 interview every week for past 1.5 yr. I feel my weight has to be part of why i don't get anything. Last time i weighed in i was almost 220 lbs.  I estimate i have gained no more then 10 lbs as i fit in my same clothes. I have tried everything to lose weight. Only luck i had was HCG shots which i never stuck with due to financial means. I dont think it works on me anymore as when i start i dont lose like i did the 1st time i did the program. As for exercise, lets just say i pay for a gym membership & should have stock in it by now & i rarely use it. I have insomnia usually get 2 hours sleep each night, cant get to sleep, but on days off i cant wake up, a bomb would go off and i wouldnt know. I have tested thyroid all healthy except cholesterol & pre diabetic(Only due to a blood test i get yearly due to i never go to doctor to get tested as often as i should so to compare results they cant get actual numbers and i get tested after holidays where that alone messes the numbers up). I stopped all depression meds, cholesterol too because doctor wont fill till i get bloodwork done & a visit. I have chronic pain from a neck injury as a child where no doctor will operate(too risky, too young) so i cant do things that strain the neck. Daughter & hubby state i dont stick with things once i see results & get comfortable.  I see it differently as something always interferes such as not enough money to continue a program, & nobody in the home can do things for themselves.  They dont cook, clean, & always need me to do their things they need. They dont realize how much they use me. The family uses me as a middle man in all daily fights & blame me somehow after twisting things up. Noone takes responsibility for their actions. I have suffered from abuse, mainly mental. I have lost all those i love (bad situations murder, unexpected) so only family i have is my brother, my kids (2), hubby, grandkids(2), and in-laws. I have literally gave up on me. I dont know who i am, i dont like what i see, or what i become, my kids dont respect me, hubby gave up on me, i get no support from anyone just hurtful statements, i feel like a slave trapped in everyday situations, & the
only thing that keeps me alive is my 2 grandkids. I cant let them down. They truly love me. You would think it would be easy to be motivated for that reason to exercise, but for some reason its not enough. All i want to do is watch tv, sleep, & play games. I know i need to lose weight, i want to, but nothing works & i dont know where to start or what i should do based on my situation. I dont have extra money so i cant pay for help, need money for healthy food etc. I need support,  advice, direction, and help to get started. My mind tells me to go and do things but my energy level, always tired but cant sleep, and everything expected of me seems to stop me. I know they are excuses, but this depression has such a great hold on me that i cant seem to break free from. Talking doesnt help me, it doesnt make me feel any better, i only stated all this in hopes that someone might be able to help me find out why, why cant i lose weight and why i just keep gaining. Only thing i know i need is to exercise. But knowing and doing seem to be my battle.  I dont push myself if i go to the gym even though i truly want to lose, and i have to before i lose everything i have in my life.

Image_thumb
37 Posts
Dec 8, 2017 12:24pm
via iOS
Tara M.- Don't give up on yourself! Have you visited dietdoctor.com? Please do. Many people need to eat fewer carbohydrates- fewer starchy carbs- and also a lot less sugar. I read that even TWO SODAS per week is still too much. And so-called "diet soda" also is not good for your health. Please visit dietdoctor.com. Wonderful and easy, healthy, delicious recipes. You can do this.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,238 topics, 38,250 posts

Motivation & Support

8,510 topics, 41,719 posts

App Updates

16 topics, 52 posts

Ask the Pros

725 topics, 1,847 posts

Workouts and Programs