Gained instead of losing!!

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 20, 2017 9:53am
via Android

I started my journey to a better me last week. I have been eating healthy, working out at the gym, dropped sodas, and drinking the recommended amount of water everyday. I weighed myself last week and then again this morning (only weighing once a week someday same time) I gained 5 lbs. I am very frustrated am I doing something wrong?

01 Jul
me too. that always is very discourging
07 Jul
Several reasons why it is very common to gain weight when starting to train, especially after having lived sedentary lifestyle:your natural body weight tends to fluctuate daily, as your body comprises of 70-80% of water.. also, you ARE losing fat, however, at the same time you have more water consumption leading to added water weight. nothing wrong with that, your body needs more as your activity level is higher now. so, you are losing probably a pound per week (more or less) but your body now begins to store the same amount of glycogen (energy is stored in form of...
27 Sep
I have gained five pounds over the past several months also. It's like I have been letting myself go for the past several weeks and I have been putting off exercising. I thought about getting back into shape again and exercise every day instead of being lazy and not finding the time to be fit. That way I won't have to worry about being disappointed with my weight.
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 20, 2017 10:18am
via iOS
Remember that muscle ways more than fat, if your feeling healthier and brighter in yourself thats all that matters really Good work, keep it up!
20 Jun
thanks!!! i was so discouraged this morning!!
21 Jun
Muscle and fat weight the same... Muscle just has higher density.
Image_thumb
1027 Posts
Jun 20, 2017 1:25pm
via Android

So many factors involved. 5 pounds is a bit high, but fluctuations of a couple of pounds are very normal, so if you've changed up your habits quite a bit, a higher fluctuation is not outrageous.

When you say "eat healthier" that can mean many things, what exactly did you do?
All the other stuff sounds great though. Keep with it. Don't let the scale get you frustrated. There are many reasons that could happen and not any to worry about. Persistence is key. Don't stop!

20 Jun
I eat mainly fruits and vegetables and small portions of meat for lunch and dinner.Where I was eating pizza so many unhealthy and larger portions of everything
20 Jun
yeah ok that actually sounds perfect... keep it up and you can't help but get results
20 Jun
ok thank you!! i was really discouraged this morning when i seen i gained 5 pounds.
Image_thumb
1054 Posts
Jun 21, 2017 9:20am
via Android

Don't stress it too much. Stress is bad for weightlos ;). Could very well could be just water retention. Give it atleast 2/3 weeks. If you still haven't seen the scale drop. The only conclusion can be you are still eating above maintainance. That would mean dropping calories.

21 Jun
ok Thanks!
Image_thumb
26 Posts
Jul 1, 2017 2:50am
via Android

DO NOT get discouraged Jennifer, stick with it. While I am not sure why you would be up in weight I would say you sound like you are on the right track. If you are adding in weights and new exercises sometimes that leads to water retention in the beginning... Hang in there and definitely keep us updated!

*** let me add muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!
5 lbs of muscle or 5 lbs of fat ... still is 5 lbs

09 Jul
last week was week 3 i finally seen a 2 pound decrease. i have been feeling more healthy and have gotten over the emotional eating. had and emotional break down last Wednesday and the only thing i could think of was the gym, went and worked out til i couldn't do anymore and left all my feelings at the gym. that was my biggest down fall and I am beyond happy i am over that.
11 Jul
wowww congrats thats great news Jennifer, I am glad you worked through it and didnt give up!!!

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,230 topics, 38,325 posts

Motivation & Support

8,516 topics, 41,719 posts

App Updates

15 topics, 48 posts

Ask the Pros

722 topics, 1,835 posts

Workouts and Programs