Rubber

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Feb 19, 2019 10:59pm
via Android

worked out for almost an hour yesterday (logged 6800steps(a personal best)) but my legs and thighs feel like rubber today. Didn't stop me from getting in almost 5000steps before noon (booyah 💪) I want to keep up the momentum but am unsure if I should workout today or make today a rest day. Being that I'm just getting back into fitness I figure most days I'm going to be hurting somewhere, so sore muscles shouldnt be a deciding factor should they?

I guess today could be an arms day but how do I get in my cardio?

Image_thumb
1024 Posts
Feb 26, 2019 1:19pm
via Android

Cardio is good, but not exactly necessary.

To lose fat, you have to burn more calories than you eat.  Most people know that the eating part of that equation is the most important part. Cardio is just bonus. You could lose all the weight you wanted and not exercise a bit.

But with strength, with muscle building, and all the functional and metabolic benefits that come with it, it actually IS necessary to exercise. So, if I had to prioritize my workouts, strength training would always come before cardio.

My recommendation: instead of "arm day" which is usually biceps and triceps, go for the bigger muscle groups with an "upper body day." Do chest and back. Things like dumbbell bench press and cable rows. Or if you have access to a trx, chest press and low row. That way you'll still hit the biceps and triceps, but get way more out of also hitting the larger muscles of the chest and back. Remember to keep your back straight, especially in the rows. Use the arms and upper back to pull through, and don't bend and pull through the low back.

Have a good workout!

02 May
You are an amazing individual and coach. It was eery to hear myself in your comments. Though I too have reached another level in my fitness lifestyle, I find everything you said is sound and true. Hope you join us in the pre launch, I am gathering the best Trainers and Coaches around. Follow us @MyMDTT , that is My Fitness Trainer Team
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Mar 4, 2019 9:57am
via Android

If your legs feel like rubber I, personally, would take a few rest days, maybe longer like a week or so, it depends on various factors like your physical condition

IWhen I was training for triathlon at the end of a session (swimming, biking, running for example), I would barely be able to walk. That for me would not be a moment the next day to log a lot of hours, but instead physically rest and nutrition.

Less is more sometimes, and having a steady schedule can work better then going full on. Not judging or preaching, just speaking from personal experience

You might want to lower the intensity of such a training, and not go so deep. On the other hand sometimes I like to have fun and just go all out, however I do try to listen to my body and what it says, and not train for time for example.

Finding the right balance is one of the tougher things for me, and something that for me changes, depending on circumstances. For me it is often navigating that and finding exercise that works with that. Sometimes I can just do more in a training than others, focussing on long term goals can be tough sometimes, but possibly worth it

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,340 topics, 38,284 posts

Motivation & Support

8,528 topics, 41,545 posts

App Updates

42 topics, 103 posts

Ask the Pros

763 topics, 1,947 posts

Workouts and Programs