1,200 calorie diet?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Feb 21, 2013 7:48am
via Android

I have a question, my fitness pal says i have to be on a 1,200 calorie diet plan to lose 1-2 pounds a week. I also do exercise everday , i just dont understand the calorie deficet thing, do i have to eat 500 calories less than my diet plan to lose weight? Like i know we have to burn more than we eat. For example, sometimes i burn around 600 a day (running and zumba), once i add this to my plan it boosts up my calories which means i can eat more, i call them free calories. Is this how it all works ?

21 Feb
And lets say I eat breakfast, my calories go from 1,200 to 900. And then comes lunch and that makes it around 600. And then I exercise burning 300 calories, it goes back to 900. Do I still have to eat up to 1,200 a day? Do I gain weight if I eat the calories I burned without going over my limit?
Image_thumb
731 Posts
Feb 21, 2013 7:58am
via iOS
It works like this.

You eat around 1200cals a Day and you loose. Weight. You exercise and you can eat more, or you loose weight faster. Its really simple.
21 Feb
Oh okay so if I burn more calories, I'm able to eat more to reach my 1,200 calorie goal, right? Like lets say I burn 200 and I'm at 1000, I can eat 200 calories more?
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Feb 21, 2013 8:01am
via iOS
You have to gradually decrease the intake of calories otherwise you will easily put it all back on! But slowly does it and then your body will get used to it! But 1200 calories is not a lot and so if you are only eating that amount then I wouldn't do intense exercises aswel
21 Feb
But the more exercise you do, the more calorie ones you can intake, but still loose weight!:-)
21 Feb
Yeah that's true!!! Yesterday I burned 600 calories though, so I had a lot of calories left over to eat! That was a good thing because I was hungry after and I reached my goal, so I won't gain weight right? As long as I don't go over my limit?
21 Feb
What confused me is when I read that I'm suppose to eat 500 calories less than. What I do everyday so I though I had to eat 500 less than 1,200 so lose weight!
Image_thumb
85 Posts
Feb 21, 2013 3:22pm
via Android

I would be Careful with thinking you can eat more just cause you worked out. Most trend to go over the alotted calories that way. I would just stick with only eating you're 1200. Find ways to make that go further thriughout the, day. With good healthy calories.

21 Feb
Thank you and yes since I use my fitness pal, I know how many calories I'm eating and I know if I'm under my goal or over so I keep track of that everyday. If I'm under my goal after I exercise, I eat (if I'm hungry) to make up for those missing calories
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Feb 21, 2013 3:45pm
via Android

1200 is not much at all. Also, you need to focus on what you eat more than calories. Try to get 40% of your caloric intake from carbs, 40% from protein, and 20% from fat. The extra protien will help your body recover and cutting back the carbs and fat will help you lose weight. A 1200 calorie diet will make u lose weight but is hard to sustain. Anyway good luck!!!

22 Feb
Ok thank you!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51