Beginner at meditation

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
145 Posts
Nov 11, 2013 11:06pm
via Android

I meditated for the first official time today. It felt nice :) but I occasionally had some thoughts pop into my head. Does that happen to you or is it easy for you to clear your mind completely?

11 Nov
Never easy to clear the mind that's why I practice often :-)
12 Nov
I will definitely be doing it way more often :) thank you
27 Nov
Oh ya when I meditate I get all sorts of random thoughts, food cars random memories of the past, its very difficult to absolutely clear the mind
29 Nov
That's great to hear haha it's not just me
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Nov 11, 2013 11:13pm
via Android

Lol YES. That's normal. That's kind of the point. Well, there's different schools of thought the matter, but some would say that having a "goal" such as "no thoughts" is not really the point. Just letting yourself BE, allowing thought to come and go, no goal, no attachment...

Don't worry about it, meditation is not something you'll probably ever do "perfectly".  It's a process, a practice, that is good for you, like brushing your teeth. You're not gonna attain buddhahood anytime soon. Heck who knows maybe you will but the thing is, don't worry about it :)

12 Nov
That's great to hear because I was doing some research on it and they said that after a few minutes, I'm supposed to have NO thoughts at all. I don't feel so disappointed now. Thank you!
Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 27, 2013 2:35pm
via Android

I just started meditsting myself and find it very relaxing.....sometime :-)  It's normal to have thoughts creep in during meditation practice.  The point of meditation is to practice calming the mind in order to find focus, patience, and discipline.  It will take time but you are on the right path and it's normal.  Don't rush it.  I find music or relaxjng sounds help me.  I also recommend reading books on the topic to understand diferent techniques and other helpful tips.  Be patient and good luck.  Peace

Image_thumb
566 Posts
Nov 28, 2013 6:03pm
via iOS
I think meditation is a great tool to slow the restless mind. I've been doing the meditation challenge with Oprah and Deepak Chopra and it's been doing my mind good. It's made me a lot calmer and I fuss less about stuff.
29 Nov
That's fantastic! I need to do it more often then
29 Nov
29 Nov
It's gonna make a difference
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Nov 28, 2013 7:07pm
via Android

The easy way to avoid parasite thought is to count your breathes.
With the practice you will be able to have no thought. But at the beginning it's impossible

29 Nov
I'm absolutely going to try that! Thank you :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51