Breastfeeding, and trying to lose weight?

14 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
172 Posts
Jun 17, 2013 4:44pm
via Android

Im 8 wks pp ...gained 67 lbs in the pregnancy, Im down 38 of those pounds at the moment. Lost 3 lbs last week....

Im just curious who else is using this app to lose pregnancy weight and is breastfeeding? What has been your approach?

***Ive been pushing to complete at least 30 minutes a day of exercise, resting on Sundays and just "watching" what I eat not cal counting.

17 Jun
Intake a lot of calories! Breastfed 3 children myself and lost all of my baby fat every time but u have to eat a ton of calories to keep a good milk supply. Also, drink a ton of water. Don't worry about weight as much as size. U should tone and slim down but don't scale watch. Good luck! I wish u and ur baby health and happiness!
17 Jun
Thank you Stacy for the advice!
17 Jun
One great thing is u burn about 500 calories a day just breast feeding. :-)
20 Jun
I've actually read that you need more calories.while breastfeeding than when you're pregnant. I'm not breastfeeding anymore, but I got four months worth with my daughter, and a while year with my son. I didn't really exercise, but I wanted to lol. Almost four years later,I finally am!
Image_thumb
168 Posts
Jun 17, 2013 4:56pm
via iOS
I don't think it is smart to breastfeed and workout. That didn't come out as I mean it. 
I started exercising too early after I gave birth, so what happened was I didn't rest enough and I couldn't breastfeed more than 2,5months. My body couldn't produce the milk. 

So what I'm actually saying is that working out is great, just don't try to lose weight. Normaly you'll lose the weight without actually doing anything and if not, start losing weight after you've decided to stop breastfeeding. 
Baby needs it's milk, you can live with your weight. 

(And no, I'm not saying you should do nothing. I'm saying that light exercise like walks are great, not hard workouts). 
Icon_missing_thumb
172 Posts
Jun 17, 2013 5:20pm
via Android

I kind of agree with what youre saying...I started working out at 2wks pp and my milk supply almost completely stopped. So I stopped working out, focused on my eating and focused on getting my milk back up.  I didnt start back exercising until a week ago-when my doctor finally said it was "okay" to do so.

I want to lose the weight....but successfully breastfeeding is a huge priority of mine as well...thats why Im curious how others are doing it. So far Im still breast feeding exclusively and losing weight. I eat a lot of cals but mainly just clean eating....the exercise I think is whats helping with the weightloss since my cal consumptions high.

17 Jun
Remember to pump while feeding. It will help ur production. I breast feed my first, but didn't have the energy or time for the second. I tried tho. But with pumping during feedings I was producing 10-12 oz bottles by the the 4th month
17 Jun
I exclusively pump
18 Jun
That is really great :) just rest enough so what happened to me won't happen to you :)
Imag0070-1-1_thumb
39 Posts
Jun 17, 2013 9:28pm
via Android

I breastfed all 8 of my babies.. Still breastfeeding my son, he's 14 months old

17 Jun
Isnt that really long? Just curious haha
18 Jun
No, its really healthy for my baby... Its not uncommon to breastfeed this long or longer.
18 Jun
do you plan on having more than 8 kids ?
18 Jun
Haha allright.
18 Jun
i wonder what the record is
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Jun 18, 2013 3:02am
via Android

Well breast feeding naturally burns 500 call every time you feed so I've heard. My friend is skinnier than before she was pregnant and she doesn't do anything. Congrats on the baby

Image_thumb
731 Posts
Jun 18, 2013 6:30am
via iOS
Okay no personal experience here, but the quality of the milk produced depends on what you eat, so eat varied and healthy. Also make your in a caloric surplus since producing milk taks a lot of energy, so eat Big! If you eat accordingly I dont see any problem in light to moderate excersis.
Image_thumb
85 Posts
Jun 18, 2013 2:51pm
via Android

Hi!! Happy to hear your giving you're baby such a healthy start to life!! I have been breast feeding my son since he came into my life .  He is almost a year! I started exercising at 6 months and if you consume enough caloried and your lo is eating at a regular intervals you should be fine ! And if you look at my work outs I do some hard ones :-)  I am now thinner now than even before I got pregnant !! And still losing weight. But I eat ALOT! Almost every two hours I have to eat and my water intake is almost a gallon and a half.  Just eat clean and keep taking your prenatals :-)  Good luck Doll!! Keep it up ! Your Baby gets soo many benifits from what you give him!

18 Jun
Meant 6weeks post partum
18 Jun
Awesome advice, and glad to read about what worked for you. I need to push to drink more water....I was doing about 100 ounces, but I'd like to drink a gallon minimum each day.
18 Jun
Water is your best friend, especially while breast feeding your milk is mostly water. That is the only way your baby is getting hydrated. Especially now that it is heating up. Both mama and baby could use the water.
18 Jun
You are absolutely right...I get so busy ( 4 yr old, 3 yr old , 8 wk old) I have to remind myself to drink. Definitely something I need to work on :-)
18 Jun
Busy is an under statement for you lol. Well keep up your hard work :-) Your doing awesome
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Jun 19, 2013 8:41pm
via iOS
I'm in the military and have to loose weight and I'm BFing. People said I would loose it quickly. That's not happening. I have to loose 30lbs by oct and I'm afraid I will loose milk production. Thoughts? Helpful advice?
20 Jun
Eat clean and a lot and remember to rest.
04 Jul
Drink lots of water. I mean lots lol
Icon_missing_thumb
172 Posts
Jun 29, 2013 1:48pm
via Android

Yayyyyy todays a great day...Im officially in the 170s!

From 220lbs in April to 178.4 lbs today....41lbs down, 29lbs to go until I hit goal weight!

01 Jul
Now Im 177 ;-)
Image_thumb
16 Posts
Jul 4, 2013 10:58pm
via Android

I'm one of those women that breastfeeding has not helped me lose weight in fact I think it's hindered my weight loss because I feel so hungry ALL THE TIME! It looks like you're doing great though so just keep it up! I'm trying to get away from sugar and I've been eating clean and using while wheat for baking. There's a website a friend told me to look into it's called something like 100 days off clean eating, if you google it it's like the first link. She has tons of clean eating tips and recipes.

Image_thumb
389 Posts
Jul 4, 2013 11:01pm
via iOS
I've bf all 7 of my children and I was never able to lose weight while nursing. If I did my milk suffered drastically. I always had to wait til after I weaned to being working out and restricting my cAls. 

The saying you burn an extra 500 cAls nursing didn't apply to me :) 
11 Jul
I'm noticing this as well... My milk takes a dip every time I exercise. So I limit myself to 15-30 min a day if that. I don't exercise at all if my milks running low.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jul 21, 2013 5:24pm
via iOS
That sounds like me too! I've been trying to lose weight and it's tough while breastfeeding. I've been at the same weight since post partum (8 months ago! ) I'm trying to buckle down this time so hopefully I see some results!
Image_thumb
1 Post
Jul 23, 2013 11:06pm
via iOS
Am trying to loose weight but i dont breastfeed ! And gain alit too !
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 5:16am
via iOS
A lot of women find it hard to loose weight while bf. I guess it's probably the bodies natur instinct to hold onto the extras just in case baby needs it haha 
 I am one if the lucky ones, currently bf my two boys 2 and nearly 1 yr old, am petite and never effected my supply. But i am very unfit and  envy those who are! 
Drinking plenty of water amd eating should help keep your supply up, but if it doesn't there are things that will help boost your aupu, such as lactation cookies. 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51