Working out while breast feeding

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Dec 29, 2013 10:29pm
via iOS
Trying to gather some info for my sister. She had baby 10-12 weeks ago and is wanting to get into shape, but plans to continue breast feeding. Any suggestions on what she can do???
30 Dec
I would suggest her to breastfeed the baby and when she finishes she can start working out. It's not recommended to workout while breastfeeding because you will lose natural proteins and glucose on the blood which could lead to fain in any time.
30 Dec
Yoga is great for new moms and it can help tone you! Other exercises that involve running, Jumping Etc don't feel so great. :)
Image_thumb
40 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 4:21am
via iOS
My little one is almost 11 months and I am still breastfeeding...not a single bottle my little one would take and I have been back training since he was 2 weeks. Take it slow to start as your body needs energy primarily to produce milk for the first couple months especially since sleep deprived, but don't believe the hype that workouts will taint your milk it is untrue. Ensure your fluid intakes increase to replace what you lose to sweat and nurse before exercising to make it more comfortable and prevent engorgement. It takes some time to get it right for your body but is beneficial to mommy and baby! Nursing is the most beautiful and natural thing we can offer our babies and working out to get back into physical shape and eliminate mental stressors is pivotal to healing so go for it momma!!
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 1:46am
via iOS
The claim that it's bad to workout while breastfeeding is completely false! It's actually good because a healthier mom means healthier milk and baby. My son is 6 months old and I exclusively breastfeed him. I've been working out since he was 2 weeks old. The only thing she needs to be careful of is her bra choice while working out. She needs to wear a very supportive and comfortable bra in material that will not cause chaffing or irritation, because she will be much more susceptible to that while breastfeeding
Image_thumb
11 Posts
Oct 1, 2014 4:09am
via iOS
I totally agree! I've been nursing my 9 week old and work out as I got approved by my doctor.

My routine is this...

I eat a quick small meal when I wake up, get ready, nurse my baby then power walk for an hour while I push him in the stroller. 
If I don't get to walk I use this app after all my kids go to bed. 
And yes-workout AFTER breastfeeding! 
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Oct 1, 2014 10:56pm
via Android

I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, what happens if little dude falls off mid-lunge?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51