Feeling self conscious

11 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 4:08pm
via Android

Hi all I have 3 beautiful kids the youngest being a year old. I really feel fat and frumpy now and am ready to lose the weight but feel too selfconcious and embarrassed by the way I look I would love to go to the gym but have no confidence

15 Jan
Girl you don't need to look fit to go to the gym I have more respect for the out of shape people that go to the gym because everyone's ultimate goal is to get in shape and be healthy! I had 2 kiddos and I know my body will never be what it was before but the more you work out the more self confidence you will have!!
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 4:33pm
via Android

I just feel so unhappy. I've always carried the majority of my weight in my middle and having kids has enhanced than moreso. I'm worried I'll be laughed at and people will take the mickey out of me and say things like look at the size of that. In my head I think all gym goers are already slim and toned :(

15 Jan
I joined the ymca because it's more for family's that way your kids can go as well I use to be 180 and I'm 5,3 most of my weight was in my mid section as well and didn't have money for the gym at a time so I went and ran at the track when no one was there and that's how I lost most of my weight
15 Jan
With all due respect, a gym should and for the most part is a JUDGMENT FREE zone. Many people go to gyms for all sorts of reasons, but at the end of the day we all have a common goal. So, nobody should have anything negative to say and for the most part people are so focused on their own image, they don't have time to be worried about yours or anyone else's; for that matter . At the end of the day we all feel insecure about something and I think you can and will build your self esteem...
15 Jan
I can't remember the last time I went to the gym and actually heard someone talk. Nearly 100% of my gym experience is in silence. With few exceptions, people at the gym are extremely introverted. They're not going to pay attention to you. And for those that might throw a glance your way, I'm like Nikki C. I have nothing buy respect and admiration for people who are making a change because I know from personal experience how hard that change is.
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 5:17pm
via Android

Thankyou for you're advice peeps x I used to workout at home doing weights running cardio and Insanity DVDs and live classes but I struggle to commit to it through self doubt I need help and also I am a really fussy eater and struggle with fruit and veg

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 5:36pm
via Android

I was intimated to go to the gym at first too. I started going with a friend so it was so scary. After a while I realized that everyone just kind of keeps to themselves and by no means is everyone in perfect shape. Now I have no problem going by myself. Once I have my ear buds in and my music playing, I'm pretty much in my own world. Just remember that you're there to better yourself and don't worry about what others think. Good luck :)

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 5:45pm
via Android

I would really love to go but I'm so intimidated by it and I don't think I've got it in me to go alone :(

15 Jan
I was too so I got a workout buddy but most people stay to their self!!
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 6:00pm

I was self-conscious going back to the gym 2 years ago coz I was so out of shape. To ease my nerves I simply put my headphones in, cranked the music up and started working out in my own little world.

I still do exactly the same thing today!

Everyone is insecure about how they look in one way or another but what I quickly learned is that no-one really gives a shit what you look like or what you're doing coz they are too busy focusing on themselves

Choose your music > know what you're gonna do when you get to the gym in advance > HAVE FUN!

Image_thumb
82 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 10:02pm
via Android

I've been going for years and I still get self-conscious. It's getting better now because I know quite a lot of people here but I still go with earphones in and music blaring at the highest volume. Plus, I take my glasses off so I can't see properly. That way, even if people did look, which they don't, I wouldn't be able to tell. Only works if you wear glasses though...
But yeah, really, people keep to themselves. There's people from all sizes at any gym I've been to and they all want the same thing. If you want to go, perhaps speak to someone working there and get them to give you a tour? It'll give you a little time to relax, even if just a tiny bit. And then the next time you go, there'll be that familiar face who'll greet you and that can give a little boost. Plus you'll have someone to go to for advice.

15 Jan
That's very very good piece of advice thankyou janna
Image_thumb
55 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 10:14pm
via Android

I promise, NOBODY is going to be paying the slightest bit of attention to you. They're working on their own bodies. They don't care about yours. Just go.

Image_thumb
385 Posts
Jan 16, 2015 8:40am
via Android

Its like what I say about the gym, the only people who can be criticised are the ones who stay at home!

Like the others have said, no one is really interested in other people there all busy doing there thing...

But even after a couple of weeks break I get self concious but I know as soon as I get in there (that being the hardest part) then I will be fine.

Pnix_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 16, 2015 3:04pm

Hey Kelly. Stop thinking about it and just do it! Everyone as you can see has been or is going through the same thing you are. Just think about it like this... there is nothing you can do or say or even feel that someone else somewhere has not already done or been through. YOU CAN DO THIS! If you want it to happen you will make it happen. I don't need to go into how I have gone through the same thing because just about every person here has already. Most people in your position feel the same one way or another so you are not alone and at a 'normal' gym people are in their own world unless you talk to them. They can care less about who you are or what you look like. Now it is your turn to do the same! With your heart pounding a hundred miles a minute, we want you to call the baby-sitter, gear up, grab your water and march down to the gym and own it! YOU CAN DO IT! Then I want you to come back here and say what we always say at that time.... "That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be". I am 99% positive that after a few workouts you are not going to feel the same about yourself. Once you get the taste it will start to drive you further, and further and that is when you are going to start feeling proud of yourself. You are going to start seeing changes and you are going to want more. It will be a long and painful road but it is the same road that we are all on now. Walk with us!! YOU WILL SUCCEED!! DO IT!!

16 Jan
Thank you x
Jan 16, 2015 3:44pm
via Android

Hey I feel your pain! I am exactly the same way. I decided to try a ladies only gym with 24 hour access. Most the time I am there by myself and sometimes a few people come in. Try not to worry about what people might be hinting cause most the time they are so in the moment that they aren't really paying any attention.  Plus if they are at the gym it's for the same reason you are. Either to get healthy, stay healthy, lose weight, or get fit. So just go rock it and do what you rhink you need to and walk round with a smile on your face! You can do this!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51